10M

Oh man ten meters is getting better and better.

Working more dx but better still Sotas from afar as into South Africa a few days ago and today Costa Rica.

Wet bit of string fw 40mb and 50w.

Keep ears open on 10m for those sotas folks

2E0FEH

10 Likes

Ten has been as good as I have ever heard on some days recently. What I am watching out for is the SFI going really high, over 200, when 6m can come up with world-wide F2 openings - how about the antipodes on 6m for fun? :+1:

1 Like

I activated Bredon Hill G/CE-003 this afternoon and 10M was great! Worked all across the US and Argentina with 10W of CW into a M1ECC Slidewinder DX.

What are the best times UTC for making 10-meter contacts?

1 Like

Generally speaking, 10 is a daytime band. The best indication that the band is open, of course, is to listen. Check wsjtx frequencies, beacons, tune around. Another option is to check the MUF. Here is a great resource. https://prop.kc2g.com/
When the SFI is high openings can last well into the evening. I recall hearing a JT station working a 10 meter pileup for hours. Hearing and working zones 17, 18 and 23 on 18 MHz was quite a thrill.
Long path is also a possibility.
David N6AN

2 Likes

I was QRV between about 1415 and 1540 this afternoon. 1st contact Argentina, followed by 7 USA, 1 Canary Islands (& 2 N Yorkshire :smiley:) in about half an hour all on 10m SSB. It took about half an hour to get my first contact, but steady after that.

I chose a smallish hill and went equipped for QRO. Unfortunately I also needed an ATU for my (pretty heavy) antenna system. Total pack weight 16Kg :weary:

5 Likes

I prefer around sun set on 10m. Todays conditions again were great, GW/NW-076 isn’t the best location for HF with lots of trees on the summit but had contacts with West/East coast USA and LU. Using a K2 & 44’ doublet 15’ high.
Roger

1 Like

From 15 OCT through today, I chased seven EU summit activations on 10 m at the following UTCs:

1217, 1329, 1333, 1342, 1343, 1507, 1549

On recent activations (29 OCT & 4 NOV), I’ve made four 10 m QSOs with EU chasers at the following UTCs:

1809, 1810, 1812, 2010

The latter dataset carries the caveat that I was running 50 W CW on those summits and also constrained to do the activations late in the day.

1 Like

At my location 10m seems to stir fully into life about mid morning with DX mainly to the east, the Americas start to appear towards mid afternoon and start to fade near sunset. That is the general pattern but it doesn’t always hold, if SFI is very high the Americas come into play in the late morning and for a while it seems that the world is your oyster! That is just working with a 40m long doublet, a beam would no doubt extend the possibilities!

2 Likes

Yes, regarding contacts DXs 10 and 12m replaced 15 and 20m.
From Japan between 2200-0100 UTC there are high probabilities of QSO with chasers and also S2S with the USA. South America also arrives very strongly at those hours (Too bad that the chasers from South America are few…)
Something similar also happens with Europe but it occurs between 0700-0900 UTC.
The only negative thing about all this is that for the USA you have to get up early and for Europe you have to descend in complete darkness…