10 years SOTA and an additional milestone for Jürg, HB9BIN

Dear all

It is somehow a bit boring to recognize a SOTA milestone when you repeat time by time the same stories. So it is a difficult task to do that for Jürg Regli, HB9BIN, and his 11th SOTA Mountain Goat joining his herd today on Grand Ballon, FL/VO-001, top summit of the Vosges.

But you know me a little: there are always alternatives! Jürg’s score shows, according to the SOTA data base, some round numbers beside the 11,000 points:

• about 2,500 activations
  • still 30 uniques this year
  • more than 80,000 SOTA contacts
  • activating from 30 associations
  • exactly 900 SOTA Completes

But the golden number on this goat is the fact that Jürg has started participating in SOTA exactly 10 years ago. His first official activation took place on October 4, 2010, on HB/SO-016, not far from his home. This must be an impressive Swiss summit since it was the core base for a new hobby and that much dedication and success. Nope, error: HB/SO-016 is Born, 719 meters high, a German term standing for a source, a fountain or usable water in any form, and yes, there was a large storage basin on top of this summit decades ago. Those activating Born for SOTA today meet there the «Tuusiger-Stägeli», a long staircase of 1,000 steps on the southern flank along the former water line, supporting their fitness training.

So it was an easy 1-pointer setting the starting point for Jürg’s SOTA career. But who was the lucky guy logging the very first SOTA QSO with Jürg? Their QSO must have made a good impression on young OM Jürg, and it has strengthened his will to improve – consider the 80,000 contacts mentioned above! Jürg’s first SOTA QSO partner at 12:38 hours UTC was a well known chaser: Ambrosi, HB9AGH. He is our #1 chaser in HB9 with 188,573 points, and they had each other in their logs for further 932 times. So our #1 activator had his #1 contact with our #1 chaser, what a summit of summits, hi.

So congratulations on your success – enjoy this special milestone and your special story, Jürg!

Vy 73 from your SOTA friends and among them: Markus, HB9DIZ

36 Likes

Hi Jürg,

A very impressive story over those 10 years, well done!! It is always a pleasure to contact you, whether CW or SSB. You are one of the best SOTA operators out there IMHO. What an example you set for others.

73 Andrew G4AFI

2 Likes

Congratulation Jürg @HB9BIN. Very impressive. :+1:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

2 Likes

Awesome!. Very well done!. Congratulations !!
Antonio, EA4MY

2 Likes

Congrats! That’s a lot of hiking and radio time. Well done.
Stuart, KB1HQS

2 Likes

Congrats Jürg, and many thanks for all the S2S.

73 Jens, HB9EKO

2 Likes

Hallo Jürg

Many congratulations and thanks for all the SOTA pleasure that you have given us over the years. You are truly a living legend!

All the best
Nick G4OOE

2 Likes

Dear Juerg,

Chapeau bas !!!

I was happy to activate together with you and Paul HB9DST one day & I hope it was not last time :wink:
All the best.

73, Jarek

2 Likes

Dear Juerg,

Many congratulations for this milestone and thanks a lot for all qso’s we made and for the join activation of the HB/SO-016 when I started my new job in Switzerland.
I wish you all the best and a lot of pleasure for the next activation.

Vy 73’s Laurent F8CZI

2 Likes

Dear Jürg

I congratulate you for this outstanding achievement in this “short time”.

73 de hb9fvk (ruedi)

2 Likes

Bravo Juerg !
Always a good fun to QSO you.
You are the KING !
I have to climb so many summits before joining your score.
Vive le SOTA
73 Roger

3 Likes

Outstanding numbers, Juerg! No words…
73, Fabio

1 Like

Gratuliere Jürg - echte Leistung.
Bis bald wieder
QTH nun wieder SV8 (Samos)
73 Erich

1 Like

Gratuliere Dir Jürg, super Leistung, bis zum nächsten S2S…
73 markus

1 Like

Outstanding, Juerg! Thanks!
73 de Rumen/LZ2AF

1 Like

Wir können nur sagen “Woow”, Jürg :clap: :clap:
Weiterhin viel Freude und Erfolg bei Deinen SOTA-Aktivitäten, und bis zum nächsten S2S :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

1 Like

Congratulations, Jürg
and a big “Thank you” for what you did to promote SOTA and the idea of outdoor amateur radio!
Always a pleasure to meet you - on the radio or in person.
73 - GL Martin DF3MC

1 Like

Jurg!

Meine Deutsch is nicht so gut. Zhen yahre ist Wunderbar!!!

I have only been at it for four months and can only hope to have the fortitude to still be hiking up peaks and experimenting with radios in 10 years!
“73”
Erik

1 Like

Congrats,Jürg,
and thank you for many QSO’s and I hope and wish you much success in the future.
See you next time best 73,
Paul DL6BK

1 Like

Dear SOTA friends,

A big thank you for all those nice congratulatory messages and numerous QSOs, especially from Andrew, G4AFI, which I am most pleased about.

I was born on April 9, 1955 in Solothurn. The capital of this canton has 11 churches, 11 fountains, 11 stairways up to the cathedral and now 11 mountain goats.

73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

7 Likes