VHF Fun Day Sunday 2nd Jan 2011

In reply to GM8OTI:
Can anyone recommend any portable 23 cms rigs that are suitable for a fun day activation??

Adrian
MM0TAI

In reply to MM0TAI:

Sorry Adrian, my stuff’s homebrew - a transverter used with the FT-817. It’s certainly portable though!

Andy MM0FMF had a 23cm handie, and I think Gerald G4OIG uses one. You don’t need a lot of power.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

My 23cms handy has shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! It is an ex-handy. (With apologies to Monty Python fans.) So no 23cms for me at present. :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GM8OTI:

Andy MM0FMF had a 23cm handie, and I think Gerald G4OIG uses one. You don’t need a lot of power.

I use a Standard C710 which gives a whopping 280mW output on 23cms. I have a linear amp in the offing, but just haven’t got around to doing the chassis bashing. A decent antenna is more important than having a lot of power out.

Sorry to hear about your 23cms handie Andy (no pun intended) - might be worth getting a quote to have it repaired. Any 23cms handheld is like a piece of rocking horse doo-doo and you’ll most likely find it difficult to replace.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Alinco DJ-G7 2m 70cm & 23cm 5W Handheld still a few around new and second hand.

£299 New from Nevada in stock.

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Adrian

I agree with Gerald’s post, the key is not power but the antenna! I use 1 watt from the Alinco DJ-G7 with an 11 element beam! During my limited time on the band it would seem this set-up works well with QSOs of up to 80 miles so far! I have also dropped the power to 0.1 watt and this seems to be O.K.

Despite the high price of the Alinco it is a triband handheld, waterproof and receives between 0.5-1300MHz so you do get a lot of rig for your money! I now see that they are slowly coming on to the second-hand market as well!

Catch you soon on 23! Two SW summits today and not a single contact on 23! DAMN WIND!! Made the setup so hard! 4m it was!!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to G3CWI:
I was generalising with that information Richard! The signal each end was 5-9+ at the other end and when I dropped to 0.1 watt I went down to 5-7. I was on WB-002 at the time talking to Dave in North Manchester! I was fairly happy with that!

My setup seems to be working well, and ultimately if I am pleased with the results why does it matter to anyone else!

However through the recently calibrated metre it seems fine for VSWR, The set up appears to be working well! The issue I have is the Coax, Weight is the ultimate issue, I would like to use RG-214 or even LDF! However the RG-214 is O.K. and it does not wear me out carrying it. In addition I’m using less then a metre of 214 so the loss should not be to bad!

The reason I believe for lack of contacts is the lack of listeners! combined with the narrow beam width!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

The reason I believe for lack of contacts is the lack of listeners!

Could well be the problem - it often is!

Richard
G3CWI

PS don’t fall into the trap of equating low VSWR with good performance!

In reply to G3CWI:
I had to edit the post afterwards, As I said 5-9+ each way from WB-002 to North Manchester then with 0.1 Watt 5-7!

A dummy load has good VSWR but this Antenna is working well and seems resonant!

Cheers for the Advice, catch you on soon

Matt

In reply to 2E0XTL:

These cables are good:

http://www.diodecomms.co.uk/download/CCeng.pdf

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
They do look good! I was contemplating using some semi rigid coax as its such a small length!

I work in Shortwave Broadcast at Woofferton Transmitting Station, admittedly we don’t use it in the TX stage as I think 250KW AM would be a bit much HI!! However in the frequency synthesisers it is superb! Each of these are capable of 1500Mz, so I’m sure this would be the Daddy of all Lightweight Coax! Prior to the privatisation of the BBC we also used it in the TV relay stations that the BBC would maintain! I think that is why we have so much of it kicking around!

I thinkmy work is why the VHF/UHF bands appeal as I play with short wave all day!

Anyway this is detracting from the original thread! I hope that you will be out for UHF funday!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to G3CWI:

I use something similar - LMR400. However, even 0.5m of RG-58U will work on 23cms - rig in right hand, antenna held aloft in the left. The only problem is that this MO evokes dire weather, a stiff chilly breeze being the minimum “battering” the poor 23cms activator has to endure. :frowning:

I use 5D-FB semi rigid on 2m / 70cms. Works well at 23cms too - I believe a near equivalent is LMR300. I’m very tempted to get myself another length specifically for use on 23cms as LMR400 is fairly heavy and a little awkward to handle.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

rig in right hand, antenna held aloft in the left. The
only problem is that this MO evokes dire weather, a stiff chilly
breeze being the minimum “battering” the poor 23cms
activator has to endure. :frowning:

The results of having to hold the antenna and rig whilst looking into the wind are best illustrated with a picture. Here’s one of someone on their 1st 23cms activation having qualified the summit on 23cms!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/3421024805/in/pool-sota_pics

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

The Sun can have a similar effect on those not expecting it :wink:

Imgur

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Golly, you meet some dodgy characters in the hills! :wink:

Brian G8ADD