The Cloud 2011

After discovering that a typo (035 instead of 033) in my RSGB contest web entry demoted me from 1st to 2nd place in the April 70cm, I was fuming. The correct 033 was clear as a bell in my logbook as well!

On Tuesday 26th April 2011, after working my adversary G4HGI and exchanging a smaller serial than he gave me, my mood wasn’t exactly lifted. Nonetheless, it was good to be on The Cloud G/SP-015 and playing radio again. It was a late tea-time at chateaux de eyp, and I had to leave without a feed. Throughout the contest my tummy rumbled louder than the noise floor. I wasn’t sure whether this was a good or a bad thing.

Also on summit was Richard G3CWI/P, operating in the 10GHz of the SHF contest, which now occurs simultaneously with the 6m event that I was doing. He made one QSO, which appeared to meet his pre-determined target, and he was soon packing away and descending after that. I continued to call and work through the FT-817 and 6m delta loop through 'til 10.30pm BST, finally reahcing 58 QSOs. Some multipliers were missing, such as IO64, IO74, IO75 and JO01, but compensated by the unexpected appearance of IO73, IO80, IO86 and IO95, the latter appearing in my logbook for the very first time.

Mindful that my uneaten tea would await me when I got home, I gave the pie & pint-at-the-pub routine a miss. But when I got home, it appeared that certain individuals whose names might begin with a J or an L had eaten my tea as seconds to theirs. There was nothing for it but to go to bed and wait for breakfast.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

After discovering that a typo (035 instead of 033) in my RSGB contest
web entry demoted me from 1st to 2nd place

As as one experience contester to another can I reitterate my advice? After entering in my logs I print them out and give them and the original paper log to my children to check. I pay them £1 for every error that they spot (it may be worth more to you as things are so close). This secret technique has always served me well and in longer contests they often spot several errors. Everyone’s a winner - apart from your nearest competitors of course.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Brian G4ZRP used to proof read our (him&me) contest logs. I reckon his checking was responsible for at least 20% of the class wins we had as he found numerous data entry errors either typos or my inability to read my own writing!

Andy
MM0FMF

The problem is, who to get to check the logs. Who do I know with an eye for a mistake, attention to detail, knowledge of VHF contesting and the unswerving accuracy of a pedantic robot?

I’m sure there must be a perfect candidate somewhere close to me that would appreciate a few quid of beer money, but I cannot think who…

Tom M1EYP

Just a day after returning from the long Bank Holiday weekend in the Lake District, and still tired and aching from that trip, the May 2m UK Activity Contest was upon me. Tuesday 3rd May 2011, and it was back to more familar territory as I ascended The Cloud G/SP-015 on a dry but windy early summer evening.

The number of QSOs was not hugely impressive at 76, but the multiplier total was quite healthy at 17. Only IO84 and IO90 were “missed” on the night, from my perspective, but in the log were IO64, 73, 74, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 91, 92, 93, 94 and JO00, 01, 02 and 03. JO00 was the undoubted highlight, and I was pleased to snag IO94 right at the death.

Other aspects of note included a S2S contact with GM4GUF/P on Tinto SS-064, and a runner who sat by me for a while appearing to show an interest - before passing me a leaflet that advised me of the path I should be taking in life. I guess he meant well.

The disappointment of the 70cms logging error that cost me top place in April was partly anaesthetised by the news just in of my win in the April 6m, and a solid looking 1st place in this one, at the time of writing.

A pint and read of the paper in the Harrington Arms rounded off the night in typical fashion.

Tom M1EYP (chose not to use the R for the contest)

Monday 9th May 2011, and the last of the 11 days of my special Royal Wedding prefix NoV. I had used it extensively in the Lake District on SOTA activations during the Royal Wedding/May Day bank holiday weekend, and got quite a bit of joy airing it from home this last weekend. But it needed something to finish with, rather than just whimper out with the clock.

Hence the decision was made for an early one on The Cloud G/SP-015. These pre-work activations have become increasingly less frequent of late, but an effort needed to be made.

Walking in bright early morning sunshine, I noted further improvements to the stone cottage beside the initial track, disturbed briefly by the barking of the now resident dog. The staircase ascent was not as painful as anticipated, and I do not remember much about the final ascent up through the National Trust land. Most probably I was still asleep. Or thinking deeply about something. But probably asleep.

By the topograph, I set up the MM20 and settled down for a bit of activating. Between 0605 and 0639 UTC, I worked 23 stations into Europe and Asiatic Russia on 14.022MHz CW. Then a station could be heard calling quite strongly beneath me. I took a listen, and it was VK8CAW. I had a couple of goes at returning to him, but without success. I did listen with interest to his relaxed rag-chew QSO with an EA8 station though.

Moving down to 14.015MHz CW, I put out another call, and worked W4HG, which was pleasing. I packed away and put out some calls on the 2m FM HT, adding three stations to the log.

By the time I had returned to the car, I realised I was running late. I did not manage to recover this on my drive to work, so dispensed with the idea of changing into my suit, and crept into briefing - on time - but in my walking gear. After all announcements, I made a sharp exit to get changed and hoped no-one had noticed - or that I had passed as a P.E. teacher!

Thanks for the calls.

Tom MR1EYP

And the following day, Tuesday 10th May 2011, brought around yet another SOTA activation of The Cloud G/SP-015, this time on 70cm SSB in the RSGB UK Activity Contest. I managed to ascend the hill in good time, which was useful as three large groups of runners all seemed to be in friendly, sociable and interested mode, and wanted to know all about my activity. Even though most of them concluded with “Oh yes, we have met you up here before”.

The first minute of the contest was poor - I did not make a contact! But then things soon took off, although it meant an unplanned early use of S+P style operating. My second contact of the night yielded the best DX - F8BRK in IN99 square. Most multipliers were in the bag in the first hour, with the remaining targets in my mental checklist soon to follow. The final total was 66 QSOs into 13 multipliers, two squares better than I normally manage on 70cm, and that did not include the IN99 which does not count as a mult in these contests.

Bryn G4DEZ did not appear to be participating, although I later learned he had been uncharacteristically searching and pouncing. So JO03 was missed, as was IO70 which I believe was worked by some others. Squares worked were IN99, IO64, IO74, IO75, IO81, IO82, IO83, IO84, IO85, IO91, IO92, IO93, JO01 and JO02. I did occasionally call on FM and CW, but without any resulting contacts.

One station in IO83 caused problems of 200kHz-wide noise throughout most of the contest. Several other stations noted this and at least one that I know of reported this to him on air. That made things quite difficult for me at times, but overall I have to be pleased with the night.

As I completed my descent, residents of the recently refurbished cottage near the parking area looked suspiciously out of the window at me walking with my headlamp at 10.55pm. They should get used to it, but I hope they remember that the track outside their new home is a public right of way.

The Harrington Arms in Gawsworth provided supper of Spearings beef pie and mustard, Nandos peri-peri chicken crisps and a nightcap of a pint of Robinsons Dizzy Blonde. Delicious.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Well done, Tom! Its worth remembering that the UK has a toe-hold in IN69 and 79 as well as IN89 for the Channel Isles. I bet that a contest station set up on the Lizard would be VERY popular, a pity that there is no SOTA summit there!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Its worth remembering that the UK has a toe-hold in
IN69 and 79 as well as IN89 for the Channel Isles. I bet that a
contest station set up on the Lizard would be VERY popular,

In theory yes; in practice no. Stations in IO70 and beyond never do well in 2m contests as they are too far from the centres of activity to allow them to work more than a handful of stations.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Hear hear Richard,I lived in the Thames Valley 15mtrs asl 25yrs ago and worked more stations on 2/70 than I do now in IO70 173mtrs asl,last night 10/05 although it was search and try I only worked 4 stations on 70 who of course got the multi.
Rubbish reports in most cases and I always say well you need to move your aerial,after the comment thanks for the multi.
Another reason I post on sota “give me a working freq” on the spot because between myself and SP,LD etc you can bet your life others are calling cq.Don.

Back to The Cloud before work on the morning of Monday 23rd May 2011. All part of a 3 month masterplan to create a leaner meaner fitter sharper M1EYP before the end of August.

I got up at 5.30am BST (0430z), but had breakfast at home (cereal - all part of the plan). The ascent of the hill was quick and enjoyable, and the sky, although dark grey, never genuinely threatened to open up.

On 20m CW, I made 24 QSOs into 15 DXCCs in a 35 minute operating spell: 4O, DL, E7, HA, HB, I, OE, OK, OZ, RA, SM, SP, SV, YO and YU. Calls on 2m and 70cm FM from the handy remained unanswered. Thanks to the regular chasers that called in - always a pleasure.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Surely you didn’t pass on a tasty filled oatcake to reward yourself for such an early start?

Of course I did.

In reply to M1EYP:

Oats/oatcakes are excellent breakfast foods due to the low GI/slow release characteristics. Porridge being an excellent breakfast food. Though I find I can only cope with porridge on a cold miserable morning. Porridge in May feels to be against nature. But as it was so cold, windy and wet that SCUBA gear was essential this morning perhaps it would have been OK.

Andy
MM0FMF

Yeah, maybe if you are going on a big walk Andy. I was just nipping up my local hill before work - no need to bulk up for that.

Don’t forget that oatcakes down here are usually filled with bacon, sausage, cheese and brown sauce!

I’m just making a start on my low-fat no-alcohol diet before my doctor instructs me to later today!

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

!!!NO ALCOHOL!!!(Covers eyes with hand)

Brian

It can be done Brian. Admittedly, it will be difficult at The Strickland Arms, but it can be done…

Glad I’ve finished that Speyside single malt I was given for a recent SOTA radio club talk. I have got some bottles of Old Speckled Hen in, but I reckon I can resist temptation in the time it takes Jimmy to finish them.

Tom M1EYP

Well the doctor never mentioned my weight, belly, diet or beer consumption. But as I had made the decision to quit curry (etc) and alcohol for three months, there was no going back, even though the doctor did not require it after all.

So, as the rest of the family were sitting down to roast leg of lamb and all the trimmings on Tuesday 24th May 2011, I got in the car and drove out to Cloudside. I did not worry unduly about the lack of a post-activation pie and pint in the Harrington Arms in prospect, as I was looking forward to the 50MHz Backpackers Contest.

I think the 50MHz BP was held on two Sunday afternoons until last year, but now it takes place alongside the 6m UKACs in the months of May, June, July and August. The Backpacker rules require a 10 watt limit and other restrictions similar to the AL (low power - 10w) section of the activity contests, and also that equipment is carried at least 100m from the transportation vehicle.

So all my 6m UKAC AL activations qualify for the 50MHz BP, as all take place from the summit of The Cloud G/SP-015, one third of a mile away from, and 80m higher than my car!

I was set up with the 817 and delta loop nice and early, and noticed that the band was open with sporadic E. A HA station was heard loudly calling CQ, so I replied and an easy two-way contact followed. I hoped to work him again in the contest. Two G stations were worked as I hopefully called CQ on 50.095MHz CW, but it was clear that the sporadic E was being sporadic - and disappearing.

So it was back to normal fayre after 8pm in the contest, with most of the usual squares worked. However, high noise and congestion levels on the band made things difficult and the over rate was slow. The resulting 49 QSOs and 11 multipliers have put me into the lead in the 6m Backpackers, but only 3rd in the UKAC AL at the time of writing. Just one or two of the DX contacts in HA, S5 or YO near the start of the contest would have given me, with my multipliers, the extra 20,000 points to be competitive.

Also on the summit, for the first 75 minutes or so, was Richard G3CWI, operating in the SHF UKAC on 10GHz. Like last month he made his one contact, packed up and left. Smash-and-grab selfishness of the highest order!

So with the absence of the usual post-contest nightcap, I was home for 11.15pm, and preparing for an early outing the following morning.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

We (g3pye/p) heard you working a GM right at the end but by the time you’d finished there were only 10 seconds of the contest left. Pity, I think it would have been a new square for both of us.

Colin G8TMV

Yes, and I rushed that contact to get it in before the 2130z cut-off. Sorry you missed out. Shame I missed you too - I never heard anything from JO01 or JO02 all night.

Tom M1EYP