Testing the X-510 Collinear

In reply to G7LAS:

In reply to HL4ZFA:

Well, what can I say!

I went with Mike to Bardon hill on Wednesday and from the start it was
clear there were normal conditions (no lift on).

But his colinear DID produce some better than expected results on 2m
fm! I know the hill well and understand the kind of results to
normally expect, and that day it was substantially better.

Would I cart that thing up the Cheviot? Well no, but it does make an
interesting case.

All the best,

Cheers Rob,

Very good of you to carry it up :wink:

On my way back from Wales yesterday, I dropped onto the graveyard of 2m FM, GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm. Set up the X-510 and managed to find find 58 2m contacts, the best being a very tricky S2S with Liz M06EPW on G/LD-037 Little Mell Fell. Very little joy on HF though :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G1PIE:
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the S2S yesterday onto Little Mell Fell (LD-037).
Even when you droppped the power to 5w (to G6ODU ?) you were still 4/1
With the 10w you were a very clear 5/1 to me.

I was only using the Icom IC-E90 so guess it was only runing about 3-4w at that stage of the day, hence my signal to you being weak.

Hope you enjoyed your day. I had fun playing with 5 different bands on FM yesterday with varying degrees of success.

Hope to catch you again soon

Liz.

In reply to M6EPW:

Hi Liz… someone from Bardon on Wednesday, m6–w was trying to contact me but dropped into the noise… was it you?

In reply to G7LAS:
Hi Rob,
Yes it was me. Sadly, just after getting the initial call out, the noise came right up to 5/9 and I lost you.
Great shame as that would have been a really nice contact to get.
Better luck next time hopefully.

liz.

In reply to M6EPW:

Well, I’m on holiday in the lakes at the end of this month so I hope to work you then.
Any recommendations for sota summits over that way with a pushchair?

No ordinary pushchair mind… proper off-roader! :slight_smile:

In reply to G7LAS:
Hi Rob.

Hmmm… Maybe Dent, Muncsaster, Watch Hill, Binsey or Hallin Fell may be an option.

High Rigg, Blake Fell and Low Fell may be a possibility and there are some higher ones such as Skiddaw via the long bridleway walk up but I guess it depends upon how far you want to push !! Others may have some ideas also that have done more SOTA’s

From Dent both ways are possible, though there will be one point where you will have to lift the pushchair over the stile on either route. Dent from the Black How farm side rather than Nannycath Gate is a good solid forestry road for 2/3rds of the way, then you swing left, over the stile and onto good grass covered ground straight up following the wall line to the big cairn. The Nannycatch route is also Forestry tracks though not quite as good and the stile crossing and route to the main summit point marked by a smaller cairn is on rougher ground.

The walk between the two summit cairns (the big on being the secondary summit - though only about 10m in height in it and still well within the activation zone) gets a little bit soft in the middle where it dips but still should be ok for a decent pushchair.

Free parking at either Nanny Catch or bottom of Forestry Track opposite farm at Black How.

Muncaster is fairly straight forwards until you reach the final climb bit but probably not totally out of the question. The start is up a good solid track before finally opening out onto the fell.

Imgur

Free parking at Muncaster Castle car park just on the main road.

Watch Hill is once again a good solid Forestry Track up to the top from the southern side or on the main bridleway from the North West / Sout East side - Allerdale Ramble.

The true summit point is in the farm field but the track is well within the activation zone if the pushchair limits you.

Free parking at end of Forestry Tracks

Binsey is a nice wide and quite firm grass track all the way up except for the very last bit but the track passes just below the summit and within the zone (see first photo in the set below). There are good shelters here. Try not to pick a blustery day as the wind can be strong at the top blowing in from the Solway. You may also get some intereference, depending upon rig used, from Caldbeck masts.

Imgur

Free parking at side of road.

Hallin Fell is a difficult summit to work from so take a good antenna and post alerts but the climb up for the church is via a grass track and not too bad at the final part.

Imgur

Free parking at the church.

High Rigg from the Youth Hostel is fairly straight forward, though a little awkward at the start for a pushchair as there are steps up round the side of the YHA. Once up these it is grass tracks to the top.

High Rigg is another summit that can prove difficult to work from. Again, take a good aerial and post alerts.

Imgur

Free parking by church and YHA (don’t be put off by the gate at the farm and cottage across the road. Open and carry on through to YHA)

Low fell is a long walk up and at the bottom part you will need to negotiate 3 kissing gates (farm gates to side) and top part will be harder work once off the track. Going is good though and not soft ground. This is a good hour+ walk to the top so allow plenty of time.

Imgur

Free parking at side of road

If you don’t mind a short but quite sharp climb then Litte Mell Fell is a nice summit. It’s grass track all the way and two farm gates allow access by the stiles at both points.

Imgur

Free parking at side of the road

Great Mell Fell I would probably say is not feasible as the path up the side of the trees is rough and would make things difficult. The long haul to the summit beyond the trees also gets very wet and boggy and makes for hard going under foot.

Imgur

Blake Fell may be another possibility. It’s quite a long walk up but if you go from the Forestry Track, follow up towards Cogra Moss and then turn right along the fence line, over High Pen and then up to Blake Fell. My GPS track shows Gavel and Burnbank - ignore those. The track comes up from bottom left.
Do not attempt from Burnbank end with a push chair !

Imgur

Lord’s Seat above Whinlatter may be possible but not from the route Colin and I did up to Barf and across. It looked from the summit as though you may be able to take good routes up through the forest and then come out onto the side of the summit. G4RQJ and others may be able to help with that one.

Grisedale Pike may also be worth asking about. Not done thay yet so again, others may be able to help.

If you are feeling very energetic and adventurous then Dalehead from Honister Slate Mine ;-0

Hope that helps.

Liz.

In reply to M6EPW:

“Hope that helps”?? Certainly does! Many thanks Liz

In reply to G7LAS:
Hi Rob.

I’ll aad some more useful links into the above for you, including GPS tracks.

If you need any WOTAs just let me know.

Liz

In reply to G7LAS:

No ordinary pushchair mind… proper off-roader! :slight_smile:

So is this for your new super-duper telescopic antenna, rig and slab batteries ???
Brings a whole new meaning to “portable”

:wink:

Liz.

In reply to M6EPW

Ha ha… no… I’m sticking to my handheld and ladderline slimjim for now! Unless someone is offering me a 4 by 4 forklift! :slight_smile:

In reply to G7LAS:

Hi Rob.

I have added some more photos to the Flickr account

Muncaster Fell - Muncaster Fell | Flickr

Hallin Fell - Hallin Fell | Flickr

Watch Hill - Watch Hill | Flickr

Hope you find them helpful.

Watch Hill is a nice gentle climb up a firm grass track from Cockermouth side of the Allerdale Ramble, just past the school.
The summit itself can be walked across with no problems even though it is not technically a right to roam field. Many locals were using it on the Friday I went up to activate it.
There is a stile in the corner of the field from Setmurphy Common side but the track looked rather overgrown and not suitable for a pushchair. The main forest track is ok.

Muncaster Fell summit has two main routes up once onto the common. The first is from the corner of the fence. However, if you carry on along the bridleway at this point for about another 200 yards there is a better, more pushchair friendly route up. It was quite wet under foot in places due to the heavy rain of late.

The Hallin Fell shots hopefully will give you a better idea of the gradient on the slope.

If you intend to do Dent next visit, then I would suggest that Blackhow Farm is your better bet. Nannycatch end is good whilst on the Forestry Track, but once you come off of this to head for the summit it is rough and very muddy now. The summit itself is also very wet at present to the point that between the two summits Dent now has a lake ! Black How farm end is still very firm under foot all of the way up to the cairn.

Liz