Sunspot 2192

I never used to use an erecting prism, the penalty in light absorption was too great, so the image reversal never was an issue for me…but my main interest was variable stars so light was of primary importance.

Brian

1 Like

While observing deep sky objects, It’s really important to use ice and alcohol.
For keeping the camera temp low as well…
:wink:

Hi Guru,
If you look at the globe, most of the land mass is in the northern half of the globe. Therefore it must hang down and be at the bottom. The early scientists got the direction of electric current wrong, covering it up by calling it conventional current flow. The early map makers got North as being up, wrong.

Also Australia gets so much sunshine because it’s on top.

That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

Binocular projection works fine. I had just finished looking at the spots with my binoculars when I found this thread. Short exposures don’t seem to harm the optics but I would avoid long exposures. Tried the pinhole too but the image is too dull and needs viewing in a dark box of some kind.

Ron
VK3AFE

…and here’s that sunspot in close-up: APOD: 2014 October 24 - AR 2192: Giant on the Sun

This Spot produced another X2 flare this morning causing fadeout across the HF bands. Very pronounced and sudden fade on 80m around 1050utc. Bands are recovering nicely now but any activators around over the last hour may have noticed it suddenly go quiet.

Mark G0VOF

60 metres went much the same way… :confused:

73, Rick M0LEP

And 40! A very spectacular fade.

Brian

I see your point, Ron.
Looking at the world map from your point of view, European countries become a really remote place of the world, hi, hi…

Would we become rare DX?
Would things go better like this?
Who knows… :wink:
Best 73 de Guru - EA2IF

2 Likes

Yes Guru,

For me Spain is exotic and moderately rare dx.

Ron
VK3AFW

Very much so, I was on Freeholds Top and had just started calling on 60m at that time, I got no replies for about 20 mins and wondered if my radio had died. I did eventually get a contact with Brian G4ZRP and then a few minutes later worked Phil who told me about the flare. In the end I managed 10 contacts in just under an hour before deciding to give up.
Colin G8TMV

The sunspot on saturday (Image Credit: NASA/SDO)

…and there’ve been a couple of APODs taken during the recent partial eclipse:

Well, sunspot 2192 is gone and all is fairly quiet on the solar front with the SFI down to 125, but something is coming! There is strong flare activity from a sunspot about to rotate into view on the north-east limb of the sun. Look for a steep climb in the SFI in the next few days.

Brian

Hello Brian,

Some years ago I decided to abandon looking at the Sol numbers etc. as reality was quite often different from the forecast. I suppose now I consider the K index if at all.

An example: 2E0YYY this afternoon has been activating and as I write I think he is still going strong on 10M. I don’t think for a long time I have heard so many dx station calling into a SOTA. To my ears the propagation favoured towards NA-Asia. I am not sure what Mike YYY worked but I am sure he would have got a large collection of chasers today judging from what I heard. Biggest surprise for me was a A55 and x2 VU stations calling him on 28.460. SFI is 125 and K is at 4!!

See what happens…

Mike

Since my post the new sunspot has started to emerge over the limb and has been issued with the number 2205. It announced its presence by firing off an M2 flare at 0838 this morning. Unlike 2192, the flares from this spot are producing CMEs.

Brian

2192 is back! It is very foreshortened on the limb of the sun but is obviously still quite large. SFI is increasing.

Brian