Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA Spotter App updated

hello,

i tried the workaround that joe, oe5jfe, posted today and it did not work for me either. the app is updating now only when connected to a WLAN, but not when connected only through mobile network. all other apps (also the other sota-app i’m using “radio rucksack tool”) work 100% with only mobile network data enabled … maybe some setting in my phone is not correct?

hopefully someone has any hints … 73 martin, oe5reo

@OK1CDJ I’m sorry, I have no idea why it is not working for you. Without more details or having access to your Android device I can’t even venture a guess.

@OE5REO I suppose it is possible that your mobile operator is blocking some traffic (used for push notifications). Can you try on another mobile operator? Another thing: is SOTA Spotter permitted access to the internet via the mobile data connection? Some smartphones allow the user to select the kind of internet access permitted to each app (WiFi/Data).

solved the mystery right now. i had a look at my phone settings:

DATA USAGE / APP USAGE and saw that GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES had RESTRICTED APP BACKGROUND DATA enabled.

changed it and now it’s updating again … thanks!

73 martin, oe5reo

I’m glad you figured it out! Unfortunately these settings are out of my control, so each user must have a minimum of knowledge about setting up and using their smartphones/tablets.

Perhaps I should write a Troubleshooting section in the Help to try to help others who may face similar issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Bogdan