SOTA News September 2017

SOTA NEWS SEPTEMBER 2017 - Part 1 of 2

Editorial - by Mark G0VOF
Welcome to the September 2017 edition of SOTA News. Some exciting news with two new associations going live from 1st September: 4X – Israel & XE1 – Mexico Central as well as other major updates! See 1st September 2017 - Updates for details.

My thanks go to the following contributors:- Barry GM4TOE, Skip K6DGW, Roy G4SSH, Kevin G0NUP, Rob and Audrey G4RQJ, Warren ZL2AJ, Toru JH0CJH, Luc ON7DQ, Bob F5HTR.

73, Mark G0VOF

========================================================
The August 2017 edition of SOTA News was viewed more than 1,036 times.

SOTA AWARDS AUGUST 2017 from Barry GM4TOE - SOTA Awards Manager.

Slightly quieter on the awards front this month but still a lot of claims. Congratulations to KG7EJT and PA7ZEE for achieving the Mountain Goat level and PA7ZEE for achieving 25k Chaser points while DL2YBG, WA7SB and N6JZT have made “Supersloth” level.

Sometimes these tables of statistics hide some quite amazing achievements by our participants not least of which is Paul, HB9DST. Achieving Mountain Explorer Platinum is a fairly common occurrence but what is hidden behind this achievement is that he has activated in 50 Unique Associations which, I believe, is a first; congratulations.

Trophies Issued

Mountain Goat
KG7EJT Tim Nair

Shack Sloth
K0MP Bill Leahy
AB4PP John Paul Keon
WF4I Derek S. Brown
NC6B Donald K. Olsen

Certificates Issued

Activator
PA7ZEE Geert Paulides 1000 points
KR7RK Keith Schlottman 500 points
SQ9APD Bartosz Kuzma 250 points
WX7EMT Chris Caviezel 250 points
HB9GHJ Urs Gredig 250 points
KF7SEY Troy Greenberg 100 points
KE6MT Rex Vokey 100 points

Chaser
PA7ZEE Geert Paulides 25000 points
DL2YBG Klaus-Peter Dreessen 10000 points
WA7SB Rick Hallowell 10000 points
N6JZT Hal Rounds 10000 points
SQ9APD Bartosz Kuzma 2500 points
W2SE Bruce Babcock 2500 points
M0WBG Neil Challis 2500 points
YO8AZQ Adrian Done 1000 points
SP6NVB Bogdan Morawski 1000 points
WX7EMT Chris Caviezel 500 points
KF7SEY Troy Greenberg 500 points
IS0LYN Mario Lumbau 500 points
2E0DIJ Duane Yates 250 points
YO6EVA Gajdo Eva 100 points
K6ABM Austin Munger 100 points

Activator Unique
HB9BIN Dr, Juerg Regli 1000 summits
M0JCQ James Stevens 100 summits

Chaser Unique
K8LJG John C. Kroll 500 summits

Summit to Summit
KR7RK Keith Schlottman Silver
M0JCQ James Stevens Bronze
WX7EMT Chris Caviezel Red

Mountain Hunter
N9XG Ian Offer Bronze
HB9FZE Stefan Weilenmann Bronze

Mountain Explorer
HB9DST Paul Schreier Platinum
K1LIZ Elizabeth Burns Bronze
M0VFC Robert Chipperfield Bronze

Microwave Award
G4AZS Adrian Bayling 250 km 23 cm
VK1AD Andrew Moseley 200 km 23 cm
VK1AD Andrew Moseley 100 km 23 cm

I have received several very generous donations towards the costs of running SOTA and these are very much appreciated. Now that certificates for printing yourself are issued without charge these donations help fill a gap in the income stream so many thanks to those of you who have been so generous.

There are still a few Polo Shirts left which are available with a free incentive to purchase them; once these are sold I will not be purchasing new stock so now is your last chance to acquire one of these embroidered shirts.

Reported above is the amazing achievement of HB9DST in activating so many unique Associations which raises the question is there a demand for an award to mark these sort of achievements? Both Activator Unique and Chaser Unique are summit orientated, should there be a class within this award to show the number of Associations activated or does this discriminate unfairly against those unable to access many Associations? Comments to me please.

That is all for this month, stay safe on the hills,

Barry GM4TOE
SOTA Awards Manager

NORTH AMERICAN REPORT from Skip K6DGW

Hi All,

Despite a month of moderately severe weather across most of North America [and some very serious weather in E. Texas and Louisiana as I compile this], SOTA activity in the new world was up in all categories. CW operation seems to be higher than past history, and I’m not sure what to make of the 7 AM QSO’s.

NA Statistics for Aug
Produced: 08/29/2017 at: 10:00:24

Total Activations: 732 [639]
Total Activators: 204 [178]
Total Chaser QSO’s: 7709 [5995]
Total Chasers: 290 [270]
Unique Summits: 545 [430]

BAND # LAST MONTH
3.5MHz: 20 ( 0.2%) [ 12 ( 0.2%)]
5MHz: 36 ( 0.4%) [ 95 ( 1.6%)]
7MHz: 1265 ( 16.5%) [ 1243 ( 20.9%)]
10MHz: 843 ( 11.0%) [ 765 ( 12.9%)]
14MHz: 4941 ( 64.6%) [ 3447 ( 58.1%)]
18MHz: 196 ( 2.5%) [ 125 ( 2.1%)]
21MHz: 14 ( 0.1%) [ 19 ( 0.3%)]
28MHz: 18 ( 0.2%) [ 9 ( 0.1%)]
50MHz: 11 ( 0.1%) [ 11 ( 0.1%)]
70MHz: 1 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
144MHz: 289 ( 3.7%) [ 182 ( 3.0%)]
433MHz: 11 ( 0.1%) [ 13 ( 0.2%)]
1240MHz: 3 ( 0.0%) [ 8 ( 0.1%)]

MODE # LAST MONTH:
AM: 7 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
CW: 5502 ( 71.8%) [ 4287 ( 72.3%)]
Data: 1 ( 0.0%) [ 5 ( 0.0%)]
FM: 300 ( 3.9%) [ 202 ( 3.4%)]
SSB: 1844 ( 24.0%) [ 1432 ( 24.1%)]

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:

Etienne, K6ATN, sent an advance copy of the Pacific Northwest News which featured Tim, KG7EJT: “Tim Nair-KG7EJT reached Mountain Goat status during his July 16, 2017 activation of Tiffany Mountain (W7W/OK-029). Dennis-WA2USA, in Indiana, was the fourth contact on Tim’s activation that got him to 1,000 points. This particular activation was mostly on 20 meters, with one contact on 40 meters.”

“In a Facebook Post, moments after his activation, Tim stated, ‘Just reached Mountain Goat level!!! Thanks for the contacts!!!’. ‘This is truly an amazing accomplishment’, stated Todd-W7TAO. ‘You are really the first native Washington SOTA Mountain Goat, earning most of your points in our great state. This is an exceptionally difficult task with most six point or higher peaks being rugged and accessible for only a very short season. Well done sir. This is a big deal and to boot, you are a first class operator!’ Tim’s first SOTA activation was in January 2015 and it took him 182 summits in order to reach 1,000 points. When Tim started doing SOTA, all contacts were made using 2 meter FM for the first 1½ years. About 90% of all his activations have been 2m FM. The Tiffany Mountain activation was an exception as it was strictly HF.”

(Ed Note: Please forgive me if I posted Tim’s achievement last month, I don’t have access to that issue right now)

The PNW News also made note of SOTA on the front cover of “QRP Quarterly,” two “QST’s [US],”, “Practical Wireless [UK],” “Amateur Radio [VK],” “Break-In [ZL],” “CQ [US],” as well as a featured article with KG7EJT [see above] in “Mountaineer Magazine.” Of course, Todd, KH2TJ, was featured reclining on W7M/EM-110 on the cover of the ARRL Annual Report for FY 2016. [Todd signed my copy of that photo for me]

Steve, K7PX, on W0C/FR-052 w/Pike’s Peak in background. credit: Steve, WG0AT.

Bob, K0NR, provided a photo of the “QRP Quarterly” cover. Bob’s article about the Colorado 14’er Event was published in that issue.

Curtis, KC5CW, provided a fairly detailed report on activation of two “virgin” 14’ers, W0C/RG-004 and W0C/RG-002, along with Andrew, KD5ZZK [who drove up from Baton Rouge LA] and Jamie, N6JFD [who drove 1,000 mi east from So. Lake Tahoe CA]. Curtis mentioned as an aside that Andrew achieved Triple Mountain Goat on this expedition.

RESOURCES:

Having a hard time explaining “prominence” to someone new to SOTA? Try this link, thanks to Chris, KJ6WEG: What counts as a mountain? - YouTube

Dan, NK6A, will be presenting a talk on SOTA at the ARRL Southwest Division Convention on 16 Sep at the Torrance Marriott [Los Angeles]. More info at www.hamconinc.org/welcome-1.html

FUTURE EVENTS:

Ryan, WG4I, advised: “Pat (KI4SVM) and myself (WG4I) have a planned Georgia/ Carolinas camping trip for October 20 – 22 at Sarah’s Creek in NE Georgia, see Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - Sarah3As Creek Campground. The campground is primitive with pit toilets but at least one of us will have a generator for cooking, charging batteries etc. I will be bringing my pop-up trailer if anyone wants to come but needs a place to sleep.”
“There are many SOTA summits within minutes of the campground. It will be an excellent opportunity to activate multiple summits in a day, contact others doing adjacent summits in the area and get your SOTA complete. It is under a 2 hour drive from Atlanta, Ashville, Charlotte, Knoxville, and many other areas.”
“Let me know if you are interested. Several of us will be getting there on the 19th to get the good spots and reserve adjacent ones for those on their way. We should be able to put several tents on one site to split site cost.”

WORDS TO THE WISE:
Being the wizards of electricity that we all are, I’m sure we all know to avoid thunderstorms, but sometimes lightning can happen out of the blue. Todd, KH2TJ [of ARRL Annual Report fame], offered the following, also reported in the Sacramento Bee:
"August 24, 2017 6:28 AM A hiker survived a lightning strike Tuesday near Donner Summit, according to the California Highway Patrol. A couple from Austria and a Fairfield friend were on a hike Tuesday from Donner Summit to Squaw Valley when the Austrian man pulled ahead of the others at Tinker Knob near Soda Springs, says a post on the CHP Valley Division Air Operations page on Facebook. His two companions heard ‘a large crack and saw a flash of light’.”
“Wary of further strikes, the other hikers stayed off the ridge and called 911 about 2 p.m. They called to the man, who was able to wave his arms and shout. A CHP helicopter arrived to rescue the man, who was taken first to Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee and then to the UC Davis Firefighters Burn Institute for treatment.”

COLORADO 14’er REPORT:
The “Colorado 14’er Event” is an annual mountaineering event on the Colorado peaks over 14,000 ft [4,268 m] elevation. It was inevitable that when SOTA arrived in North America, it would find a home in the event too. From Bob, K0NR:
“I did some analysis of the Colorado 14er Event activity using information from the SOTA database. I know this is not complete because not all operators submitted their logs to the database, but this is still the best record that we have. In particular, some of the more casual VHF FM operators have not adopted the SOTA infrastructure, so this data will likely under-report VHF activity. We will keep encouraging these folks to use the SOTA database.”

"In recent years, we’ve had two major shifts in the event guidelines:

1. We expanded the summits from the traditional 54 Colorado 14,000 foot mountains to include all SOTA summits in Colorado (W0C).
  2. We expanded from Sunday only to all weekend (Saturday and Sunday)
    Because of these changes, I have not attempted to do comparisons with previous years. See http://www.ham14er.org/ for detailed info on this event."

“There are 777 QSOs with W0C summits entered for August 5 and 6 (UTC date). The actual event is based on Mountain time in the US, so this may skew the results slightly.
The most popular band was 20m (51%) followed by 2m (16%) and 30m and 40m both at 11% of the total.”
“The most common mode was CW (60%), followed by SSB (24%) and FM (16%). There were 26 summits listed as activated and some summits had more than one activation over the weekend.”

"No surprise, some familiar SOTA calls were on the air cranking out the most QSOs:
KX0R 141
NS0TA 111
N0TA 81
W0CP 78
KD0YOB 66

Of course, we had super participation by the chasers. Here are the top chasers for the event:
W0MNA 20
W0ERI 19
W7RV 19
WA2USA 18
W4EX 18
NG6R 16

“There were many S2S contacts but I have not been able to tabulate those in time for the Sept SOTA News. It was a super SOTA weekend…thanks to everyone that participated! Thanks to Guy N7UN and Andy MM0FMF for providing the data.”

REPORT OF THE MONTH:

Eclipse in the Teton Wilderness. credit: unknown

Bob, AE7AP, reported that they just returned from an 11-day backpacking trip into the Teton Wilderness including some activations in Yellowstone National Park.:

Trip Highlights & Challenges
· We had lots of solitude – often going days without seeing anyone.
· Many of the trails were not cleared – there was tons of deadfall once off of the main-line trails.
· The “Parting of the Waters” was cool – it is a creek that is located perfectly on the continental divide. It splits & one half goes to the Pacific Ocean & the other half to the Atlantic. Parting of the Waters - Wikipedia
· Seeing the start of the Yellowstone River – where the North Fork & South Fork converge.
· The South Fork of the Yellowstone is one of the most remote & beautiful on-trail places that we have been. It has solitude, green meadows, flowers, waterfalls, huge snow cornices … It didn’t look like anyone else had been in there for a while.
· The trail out of the South Fork had some snow chutes remaining – I was glad that we brought our microspike traction devices.
· It was fun to see the Grizzly (at a distance). We ran into another trio that had a close encounter (not fun).
· We simultaneously ran into a N. Bound & S. Bound CDT hiker at a trail junction (one of us on each trail). The S. Bound hiker was Jerry-KG6ENL (“Trailblazer”) – whom we previously saw July-4 in the Scapegoat coming out of the Dearborn River! The N. Bound hiker was Rabinath from the Netherlands - Blog: Rabinath de Lange's 2017 Continental Divide Trail Journal : How to scare a bear away : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals
· We were in the path of totality on a 10,200 ft. prominence for the eclipse & had the Tetons as a backdrop – it was perfectly clear, calm, and awesome!

Rob, AE7AP, on top of the ‘Chinese Wall’ in the Bob Marshall Wilderness [Montana]" Credit: Rob’s wife Barb

· Working Vick-K7VK from W7Y/TT-076 – this was the only local QSO that I was able to make. I had lots of time & Wx crunches that limited my time on 40m.
I really, really, appreciate those chasers that worked me first (and hopefully spotted me) on each summit. I didn’t have APRS coverage in this area & I doubt that RBNhole got me reliably either – particularly when I changed plans! The first chasers on each of the six summits were: VE7HI, KB7HH, NQ7R, N4MJ, K0MP, & WA6MTZ. Thank you!

Rob – AE7AP

Thanks to all who contribute news items to me, that’s going to finish off New World SOTA for Aug.

Skip, K6DGW
NA SOTA Reporter Dude
Sparks NV DM09dn
k6dgw@foothill.net

============================================================

SOTA France – Robert F5HTR

Hi to all, activator and chaser!

Activity in France for both “F and FL” associations has been really good during this month.
I have counted at least 191 activities for the month of August. There were probably many more I think!
Of course, this is a new record for France to get a such intensity of traffic !

We could hear the usual folks from France : F4EGG, F5LKW, F5UBH, F6HBI, F8FEO, F6HCC, F4FHV, F5RGY, F5UKL, F6EFI, F4VRL, F5HTR
During this festival month, a lot of foreign Ham’s came to activate French summits.
SOTA activity is increasing, and we noticed duing the past month a kind of Radio tourism. A lot of Hams come to hike or to ride bicycles around the mountains, especially in Vosges.

We could hear this month, as expedition in Vosges :
F/M0BLF/p, F4EGG/p, F5HTR/p, F5UBH/p, F/PB2T/p, F/M0WML/p, F/G4WSB/p

The greatest surprise was meet Hans and his friend on the departure parking place !
Thanks to the mast on his rucksack, we recognized him easily. It is not very often to meet another OM in mountains !

My best 73 to you all

F5HTR
Bob
F & FL association manager

SOTA NEWS FROM JAPAN by Toru JH0CJH

August is summer holiday season and large number of activations have been
made.

SOTA activities in August 2017 in Japan as of 31 August 2017.

Activation

Total 196 Activations with 1790 QSO have been made and reported.
Activation increased by 32% compare with last month.

JA: 180 activations with 1627 QSO from Summits
JA5: 9 activations with 125 QSO from Summits
JA6: 3 activations with 14 QSO from Summits
JA8: 4 activations with 24 QSO from Summits

Chasing

Total 427 Chasing QSO have been made and reported. QSO numbers of Chaser
increased 46% compare with last month.

JA: 392 chasing QSO
JA5: 1 chasing QSO
JA6: 34 chasing QSO
JA8: 0

Normally JA5 and JA8 areas have a very small number of activations or almost
None at all, but as you can see the number of activations increased
drastically because of summer holiday season. Actually I had a short trip
to JA8 Hokkaido in the summer holiday with my wife and made an activation for
a very short period.

Also 11 August was national holiday in Japan. It was newly settled last
year as Mountain day. This new holiday also pushed up the number of SOTA
activations.

Keiichi JF8LPB made SOTA activations from Germany and Czech. Brief report of
his activation is shown below, and reported by John’s blog site.

On 19 August, Keiichi made activations from three summits with DK9JC John
and DO1DJJ Joerg. John and Joerg are very supportive and Keiichi appreciates
their hospitality very much. Keiichi uses a FT2D and FT-817ND with 25W linear
amplifier with Inverted V antenna. The results of his activation were:

1. DM/RP-158 Erbeskopf 816m 20m SSB: 11 QSO
  2. DM/RP-187 Wildenburgerkopf 664m 2m FM: 4 QSO. 1 QSO has been made with John
    who stayed at RP-158
  3. DM/RP-171 Roesterkopf 708m 2m FM: 1 QSO 40m SSB: 14 QSO

On 27 August, Keiichi made activations from two summits. He appreciates
OK2SRO Honza’s advice to avoid the activation on Friday and Saturday because
there was ham radio festival on these dates. Also he made a QSP of his
operation to his ham radio friends.

Results of his activation are shown below

1. OK/ZL-043 Kycera 757m 2m FM: 5 QSO
  2. OK/ZL-045 Hostyn 734m 2m FM: 23 QSO
    He got a huge pile-ups of calls from local stations including OM and SP stations
    on 2m, at Hostyn summit.

Keiichi states special thanks to DK9JC Johnny during his stay in Germany.
Keiichi is Class 1 licensee in Japan but he got novice class license by
mistake of the regulatory authority. DK9JC John gave great support to so Keiichi could properly
gain a Class A license in Germany.

With regards to the biggest ham radio event in Japan, Tokyo Ham Fair 2017
will be carried out on 2 and 3 September this year. SOTA Japan association
will promote in this event again with Yama to Musen stand. I will report this in next monthly report.

73, Toru

Toru Kawauchi 川内 徹
toru@kawauchi.homeip.mydns.jp
JH0CJH / JA1CTV業務日誌 Just call me!

THE VIEW FROM THE NORTH - 116 By Rob and Audrey G4RQJ

Very little to report this month, no personal activations due to medical problems, poor conditions on the bands and rising local noise levels (up to S8) and a worrying lack of activations on local fells.

So how about a few tips for people starting on hill walking and sota activation.

Make sure someone knows where you are going and when you intend to be back Be careful if using unfamiliar circular routes that you do not know. Start out with straight up down routes and take notice on the way up of diverging paths and note which one you take, particularly in woodland, (make a little mark on a tree, draw an arrow on the ground with the tip of a walking pole or place a recognisable stone) Once on the summit mark where you arrived as the start of your return route, if you stay for a long activation cloud may creep up and hinder your finding your path again. You may be cold by this time and the problems of a different route down will be much harder to deal with. In my (Robs) case you may find exposure that upsets vertigo, or a river not easily crossed or any number of man made obstructions and a turn back will be hard if darkness is approaching. Good maps and compass skills are the way to go as is a gps assuming the batteries are up to it! but knowing your downward escape route is invaluable. Two of the questions we have been asked on a summit in cloud are, “Which is the way down?” and “Where is the way back to the car park?” Knowing where you started from is important! Most of this is basic Boy Scout stuff but few people seem to know it Take care, have fun and remember to let your backup person know you are down .

Back to business and we hope to be at Telford Rally in September and also to attempt a few hills in the area, our first activations for some time. This will be a test of our abilities so hope it works out ok. If not we may have to cut this column to an occasional basis instead of monthly. We hope for the best.

Meanwhile That’s all for now.

Take care out there

Rob and Audrey G4RQJ

*********** SOTA NEWS PART 2 FOLLOWS BELOW ********

3 Likes

SOTA NEWS SEPTEMBER 2017 - Part 2

=========================================================

ON7DQ SOTA Tour – Luc ON7DQ

Luc, ON7DQ has finished a full report on his July SOTA Tour, including his visit to the Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen, and details on all 22 activated summits.

All the reading fun starts here :

Luc, ON7DQ

=====================================================

SOTA NEW ZEALAND REPORT from Warren ZL2AJ

SOTA Activity Report for July / August 2017

List Summits activated

The last 2 months in SOTA world has been very quiet. Unfortunately for most the weather doesn’t look as attractive for getting out doors and enjoying our countryside with a portable station. That said 3 activators made a total of 9 activations from ZL activators, and two activations from a visitor.

In ZL we have 20 registered activators and 35 registered chasers. It would be great if we could add to this. SOTA is an enjoyable activity as those that have been involved can attest to. Talking with other SOTA participants – a common message I get is “it would be great if more were involved”. If you enjoy the outdoors and enjoy amateur radio – SOTA is for you. It could even be there are new or potential hams out there, that SOTA would encourage them into the hobby.

Congratulations Jacky Shaw ZL1WA at making Shack Sloth – New Zealand’s 2nd Shack Sloth and first YL Shack Sloth. Jackie completed this achievement in less than a year, making 1000 chaser points. Jackie has also activated a few summits and says she enjoys SOTA and it has renewed her interest in Amateur Radio.

John Bell VA7JBE visited ZL3 recently and activated Hamilton Peak ZL3/CB-267 and Mount Enys ZL3/CB-152. Mount Enys is currently the tallest peak activated in ZL at a total of 2194 m Above Sea Level. He made 5 contacts on VHF FM and collected 8 points plus 3 winter bonus points.

Finally I will paraphrase a quote I spotted on Steve’s WG0AT (yes that is goat in his callsign) Facebook page. With walking (free fitness), unbeatable views and radio contacts with kindred spirits – what is not to like about SOTA. Steve has a Facebook page and a YouTube channel where he shares his many experiences with SOTA. If you would like to find out more, please contact me or one of your local SOTA participants.

Total Summits Activated for Period – 11
Total number of ZL summits – 5184
Total number of ZL summits activated – 123
Total ZL Chaser contacts logged for period 226

73, Warren – ZL2AJ

======================================================

SOTA ON TOP BAND - Mark G0VOF

Hello everyone & welcome to this month’s edition of SOTA on Top Band.

Four activators took to the band this month from five summits.

First this month was Arno OE9AMJ/P who on 2nd August activated OE/VB-494 Hochälpele. This was a little unusual in that only 160m was used, however Arno was rewarded with two QSO’s, both using CW.

Next, on 5th August was Tony VK3CAT/P activating VK3/VC-031 Arthurs Seat, the first of two activations Tony made this month, both of which included 160m. From Arthur’s Seat Tony made 1 QSO using CW during an activation that also featured a spell on 80m.

On 13th August Grant VK4JAZ activated VK4/SE-117 Tennison Woods Mtn where after a run on 40m he added a QSO on 160m with VK3GR using CW.

On 19th August both Allen VK3ARH & Tony VL3CAT/P commenced activations that spanned midnight UTC. Allen was on VK3/VC-018 Mt Buninyong & Tony was on VK3/VC-025 Mt Dandenong around 127 km distant. Allen had concentrated on 40m CW whilst Tony was active on 40m, 30m & 80m. As both stations had 160m capability a Top Band summit to summit QSO was attempted, & was successfully achieved giving both Allen & Tony 1 QSO each using CW.

Thanks & well done Arno, Tony, Grant & Allen!

At the time of writing, those were the only Top band activations during August that I am aware of, if I have missed any others please let me know.

On 2 August, Arno OE9AMJ/P Activated OE/VB-494 Hochälpele & made 2 QSO’s (2 CW / 0 SSB)
On 5 August, Tony VK3CAT/P Activated VK3/VC-031 Arthurs Seat & made 1 QSO (1 CW / 0 SSB)
On 13 August, Grant VK4JAZ Activated VK4/SE-117 Tennison Woods Mtn & made 1 QSO (1 CW / 0 SSB)
On 19 August, Allen VK3ARH Activated VK3/VC-018 Mt Buninyong & made 1 QSO (1 CW / 0 SSB)
On 19 August, Tony VK3CAT/P Activated VK3/VC-025 Mt Dandenong & made 1 QSO (1 CW / 0 SSB)

As always, If you do have any suggestions on things that you think should be included, or if you wish to contribute tips, ideas or anything else that you think may help others on the band please email them to me at mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

Until next month,

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

CW REPORT FOR AUGUST 2017 - Roy G4SSH

The month saw a surge of SOTA activity, with many cross border activations and s2s contacts, peaking towards the end of the month with the end of summer holidays approaching and back-to-school imminent.

CW Highlights of the month;-

Hans F/PB2T/p was active from France
Frank DL/PC7C/p in Germany
Geert, DL/PA7ZEE/p in Germany
Dominic F/M0BLF/p in France
Jürg EI/HB9BAB/p in Ireland
Jürg MI/HB9BAB/p in Northern Ireland
Rolf CT8/HB9DPR/p in Portugal
Stephan OE/DM1LE/p in Austria
Frank HA/ON6UU/p in Hungary
Max OK/OE5EIN/p in Austria
Chris DL/ON6ZQ/p in Germany
Gareth 9A/G0MFR/p in Croatia
Dieter DL/HB9ELD/p in Germany
Guido DL/HB9BQB/p in Germany
Petr OE/OK1CZ/p in Austria
Roger I/F5LKW/p from Italy
Gerald I/F6HBI/p Gerald in Italy
Igor OK/OM3CUG/p in Czechia
Klaus OK/DL8DZL/p in Czechia
Matthias OE/DL1YGH/p in Austria
Jan SP/OK2PDT/p in Poland
Andreas HA/DL1DUS/p in Hungary

Villi TF2DX/p was active using CW from Iceland on the 11th

Zoran E70AA/p was active from Bosnia
The YO SOTA Marathon took place between 14th and 19th of August this year, in the middle of the Apuseni mountains. 15 summits were proposed for activations, most of them being 8 points. 16 people took part of which 11 were activators. This year there were also guests from OK.

Steffen SV8/DM3CW/p in Greece
Karel YO/OK1MLP/p in Romania
Christophe DL/OZ6ZQ/p in Germany
Jan OE/OK2PDT/p in Austria
Jo HA/DJ5AA/p in Hungary

Andy MM0FMF/p. Andy, activating various summits on a tour of Shetland Islands

Renato DL/HB9BXQ/p in Germany
Konrad LZ/SQ6GIT/p in Bulgaria.
Marcial CT7/EA2WX/p, in Portugal
Cesar, EA4/K1TNT IN Spain
Konrad LZ/SQ6GIT/p in Bulgaria
Frank S5/DK7FH/p in Slovenia
Yves DL/ON4KCY/p, in Germany
Peter MM/HB9TVK/p in Scotland
Paul 9H3PR (Op.HB9DST) was active from Malta on the 22nd
Mario E73DX/p was active from Bosnia also on the 22nd.
Andreas HA/DL1DUS/p in Hungary.
Borut OE/S52AU/p in Austria
Stephan OE/DL1LE/p In Austria
Hans HB9BQU/p, in France
Martin 9A/OM1ADX/p in Croatia

S5100PAX, E77Y/p and E77DX were active over the weekend of the 25th/26th

Hans F/PB2T/p was active from France.
David DL/G4ZAO/p in Germany.
Roman OK/OM4WY/p in Czechia
Andrew F/G4AFI/P in France
Jan S5/OK2PDT/p in Slovenia
Stephen F/ON5REV/p in France
Pedro CU3HF/p was active from the Azores on the 29th.

Roy G4SSH
g4ssh@tiscali.co.uk

SOTA ACTIVITY REPORT FOR AUGUST 2017 by Kevin G0NUP

Mode: CW on 1.8MHz: activity for August

OE9AMJ/P, VK3ARH, VK3CAT/P, VK4JAZ

Mode: CW on 3.5MHz: activity for August

K2JB, K7VK, LA1KHA/P, OE6RDD/P, OK1IF/P, VK1DA,
VK2IB/3, VK3ARH, VK3BYD/P, VK3CAT/P, WF4I, WH6LE

Mode: CW on 5MHz: activity for August

DL/HB9BHW/P, DL6FBK, DL6FBK/P, G0HIO/P, GM0EVV/P, GW0EVV/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9BHW/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P,
HB9DST/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P, K0MP, K6HPX/P,
KR7RK, M0OAT, N4EX/P, N7CW, NA6MG, NS7P,
VE2JCW

Mode: SSB on 5MHz: activity for August

G4IPB/P, G4VPX/P, GM0EVV/P, GW0EVV/P, GW4TQE/P, GW4VPX/P,
KI4SVM, M0JLA/P, M0TYM/P, M0YDH/P, M1EYP/P, MM0FMF/P,
MW0JLA/P, SP9PND/P

Mode: CW on 7MHz: activity for August

9A/OK2PVX/P, 9A6CW/P, AB4PP, AC0PR, AC1Z, AC7P,
AD5A, AE7AP, CT1DBS/P, CT7/EA2WX/P, DF8KY/P, DJ9MH/P,
DK1WI/P, DK2JK/P, DK7MG/P, DL/HB9BHW/P, DL/HB9BQB/P, DL/HB9BXQ/P,
DL/HB9ELD/P, DL/OK1CZ/P, DL/ON4KCY/P, DL/ON6ZQ/P, DL/PA7ZEE/P, DL2DXA/P,
DL4CF/P, DL4FDM/P, DL4MHA/P, DL4ROB, DL4TO/P, DL6FBK,
DL6FBK/P, DL6UHA/P, DL9MDI/P, E7/OK2PVX/P, E73DX/P, EA1AER/P,
EA1FBU, EA2BD/P, EA2BSB/P, EA2IF/P, EA2LU/P, EA2WX/P,
EA4MY/P, EA5FV/P, EA5HT/P, EA6AIF, EI/HB9BAB/P, EI3KA/P,
F/HB9AFI/P, F/HB9BQU/P, F/ON5REV/P, F/PB2T/P, F5HTR/P, F5LKW/P,
F5RGY/P, F5UKL/P, F6EFI/P, F6HBI/P, F8AOF/P, F8FEO/P,
G0HIO/P, G0ODA/P, G0POT/P, G4MEM/P, G4TJC, G4ZAO/P,
GM0BPU/P, GM0EVV/P, GM0GAV/P, GM0ODA/P, GM4OOE/P, GW0EVV/P,
GW0ODA/P, GW0POT/P, HA/ON6UU/P, HB/DL6FBK/P, HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P,
HB9AXL/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BHU, HB9BHW/P, HB9BIN/P,
HB9BQB/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9CKV/P, HB9CLT/P,
HB9DGV/P, HB9DPR/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9EIV/P, HB9EWO/P,
HB9FVF/P, HB9IAB/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P, HB9TWM/P,
I/F5LKW/P, I/F6HBI/P, JA1KHZ/1, JA3NAP/0, JA4RQO/4, JA9WWH/1,
JA9WWH/9, JF1NDT/0, JF1NDT/1, JG1BOK, JI1IHV/0, JI1IHV/1,
JI3BAP/3, JM3HRC/3, JP3DGT/3, JP3DGT/5, JS1UEH/1, JS1UEH/7,
K0MP, K1JD, K1LB, K2JB, K3JZD, K4KPK,
K6CMG, K6HPX/P, K7MK, K7ODX, K7PX, K7VK,
KC7DM, KE5AKL, KE7BGM, KG7VAK, KI4TN, KK1W,
KR7RK, KW4JM, KX0R, KX6A, LA1ENA/P, LA1KHA/P,
LA3BO/P, LA3NGA/P, LZ/SQ6GIT, LZ1WF/P, M/OM4DW/P, M0OAT,
MM0FMF/P, N0SA, N0TA, N1AW, N1GVT, N1ZF,
N3II/P, N3TWM, N4EX/P, N5NA, N6JZT, N7CW,
N7LP, N9DK, N9XG, NA6MG, NJ7V, NM5S,
NS0TA, NS7P, NU7A, NU7Y, OE/DJ2FR, OE/DK7FH/P,
OE/DK7MG/P, OE/DL4MHA/P, OE/DM1LE/P, OE/HB9FVF/P, OE/HB9SOTA, OE/OK1CZ/P,
OE/OK2PDT/P, OE/S52AU/P, OE1MVA/P, OE2SNL/P, OE3HPU/P, OE3IPU/P,
OE3VBU/8, OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P, OE5EIN/P, OE5FSM/P, OE6FEG/P,
OE6KYG/P, OE6LKG/P, OE6PKF/P, OE6RDD/P, OE6VWG/P, OK/DL2DXA/P,
OK/DL8DZL/P, OK/OE5EIN/P, OK/OM3CUG/P, OK/OM4WY/P, OK/OM6TC/P, OK/SP9MA/P,
OK1AYU/P, OK1BJH/P, OK1CYC/P, OK1CZ/P, OK1DJQ/P, OK1DO/P,
OK1FII/P, OK1FRT/P, OK1HCD/P, OK1IF/P, OK1KT/P, OK1MLP/P,
OK1NF/P, OK1USP/P, OK1XGL/P, OK2BDF/P, OK2BMA/P, OK2BTK/P,
OK2MUF/P, OK2PDT/P, OK2PXJ/P, OK2PYA/P, OK2QA/P, OK2TX/P,
OK2VWB/P, OK3EQ/P, OM/OM6TC/P, OM1WS/P, OM3CUG/P, OM6AN/P,
ON4KCY/P, ON5REV/P, ON9CBQ/P, PA7ZEE/P, S5/DK7FH/P, S5100PAX,
S52AU/P, S52CU/P, S52FT/P, S53OM/P, S53XX/P, S58R/P,
SA2CLC/P, SP/OK1CZ/P, SP/OK2PDT/P, SP9MA/P, SP9PND/P, SQ6GIT/P,
SV2OXS/P, VA2SG, VA2VL, VA2VL/W1, VE2DDZ, VE2DDZ/W1,
VE2JCW, VK1CT, VK1DA, VK1FWBK, VK2IB/3, VK2NU/P,
VK3ARH, VK3BYD/P, VK3CAT/P, VK3HN/P, VK4JAZ, VK5CZ,
W1EJ, W5ODS, W6BJB/4, W9FHA, WA2AKV, WA6KYR,
WA6MM, WA7JTM, WB0USI, WB5USB, WC6J, WF4I,
WG0AT, WH6LE, WS0TA, WU7H, WW7D, YO/OK1MLP,
YO2BP/P, YU1RK/P

Mode: CW on 10MHz: activity for August

28/08/2017, 9H3PR/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AC0PR, AC7MA,
AC7P, AD5A, AE5KA, AE7AP, AG6TL/P, CT1DBS/P,
DF8KY/P, DJ9MH/P, DK7MG/P, DL/HB9BXQ/P, DL/ON6ZQ/P, DL4CF/P,
DL4MHA/P, DL4ROB, DL6FBK, DL6FBK/P, E73DX/P, EA2BD/P,
EA2IF/P, EA2LU/P, EA2WX/P, EA4MY/P, EA5FV/P, EI3KA/P,
EI6FR/P, F/EI5CA/P, F/HB9AFI/P, F/M0BLF/P, F/PB2T/P, F5HTR/P,
F5LKW/P, F5UKL/P, F6HBI/P, F8AOF/P, F8FEO/P, G0HIO/P,
G0ODA/P, G0POT/P, G4ZAO/P, GM0BPU/P, GM0EVV/P, GM0GAV/P,
GW0EVV/P, GW0POT/P, HA/ON6UU/P, HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9BCB/P,
HB9BHU, HB9BHW/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9CLT/P,
HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9EVF/P, HB9FVF/P, HB9IIO/P,
HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P, I/F6HBI/P, IK5XCT/P, JA4RQO/4, JA9WWH/9,
JG1BOK, JS1UEH/1, K0GUZ, K0MP, K1JD, K1LB,
K3JZD, K3RLL, K6HPX/P, K7ATN, K7MK, K7ODX,
K7PX, K7VK, KC7DM, KE5AKL, KG7VAK, KR7RK,
KT0A, KX0R, LA1ENA/P, LA1KHA/P, LA3BO/P, LA3NGA/P,
LA9PJA/P, LZ/SQ6GIT, LZ1GJ/P, LZ1WF/P, M0OAT, MM/HB9TVK/P,
MM0FMF/P, MW0BLF/P, MW0VFC/P, N0TA, N1GVT, N1ZF,
N6JZT, N7CQR, N7CW, N7LP, NA6MG, NJ7V,
NS7P, NU7A, NU7Y, OE/DJ2FR, OE/DL4MHA/P, OE/DM1LE/P,
OE/OK1CZ/P, OE1MVA/P, OE3VBU/8, OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P, OE6RDD/P,
OH9XX/P, OK/DL2DXA/P, OK/DL8DZL/P, OK/OM3CUG/P, OK/OM4WY/P, OK/OM6AN/P,
OK/SP9MA/P, OK1CYC/P, OK1CZ/P, OK1DJQ/P, OK1MLP/P, OK2BDF/P,
OK2BTK/P, OK2HBY/P, OK2PDT/P, OK2PYA/P, OK2VWB/P, OM/OM6TC/P,
OM1WS/P, OM3CUG/P, OM4WY/P, ON/DL4ROB/P, S5/DK7FH/P, S5100PAX,
SP9MA/P, SQ8JMZ/P, VA2OTA, VE2DDZ, VE2DDZ/W1, VE2JCW,
VK1CT, VK1DA, VK2IB/3, VK3BYD/P, VK3CAT/P, W0CP,
W1EJ, W5ODS, W6BJB/4, W9FHA, WA6KYR, WA9STI,
WB0USI, WB5USB, WF4I, WH6LE, WS0TA, WU7H,
WW7D, WX4TW, YO/OK1MLP, YO2BP/P, ZL3CC

Mode: CW on 14MHz: activity for August

7M4EZB, 9A/G0MFR/P, 9A6CW/P, 9H3PR/P, AA0BV, AA6XA,
AB4PP, AC0PR, AC1Z, AC7MA, AC7P, AD5A,
AE5KA, AE7AP, CT1DBS/P, CT7/EA2WX/P, CT8/HB9DPR/P, DF8KY/P,
DK7MG/P, DL/HB9BXQ/P, DL/OK1CZ/P, DL2DXA/P, DL4CF/P, DL4ROB,
DL4TO/P, DL6FBK, DL6FBK/P, DL9MDI/P, DM5WT/P, E70AA/P,
E73DX/P, EA1/K1TNT, EA1AER/P, EA1FBU, EA2BD/P, EA2BSB/P,
EA2IF/P, EA2LU/P, EA2WX/P, EA4MY/P, EA5FV/P, EA6AIF,
EB3EPR, EI/HB9BAB/P, EI6FR/P, F/EI5CA/P, F/HB9AFI/P, F/HB9BQU/P,
F/PB2T/P, F5HTR/P, F5LKW/P, F5RGY/P, F5UBH/P, F5UKL/P,
F6HBI/P, F8AOF/P, F8FEO/P, G0HIO/P, G0ODA/P, G0POT/P,
G4TJC, G4ZAO/P, GM0BPU/P, GM0GAV/P, GM4OOE/P, HA/ON6UU/P,
HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9AXL/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BAT/P, HB9BCB/P,
HB9BHU, HB9BHW/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9CKV/P,
HB9CLT/P, HB9DGV/P, HB9DPR/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9EIV/P,
HB9EWO/P, HB9FVF/P, HB9IAB/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P,
HB9TWM/P, I/F6HBI/P, IK5PWQ/P, IK5XCT/P, JA4RQO/4, JA4RQO/5,
JA9WWH/9, JF1NDT/0, JF1NDT/1, JG4LCS/4, JH0CJH/1, JH0CJH/8,
JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/0, JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3, JP3DGT/5, JS1UEH/0,
JS1UEH/1, JS6TMW/6, K0GUZ, K0MP, K1JD, K1LB,
K1ZK, K2JB, K3JZD, K3RLL, K4KPK, K6CMG,
K6HPX/P, K6TW, K7ATN, K7MK, K7ODX, K7PX,
K7SO, K7VK, KC1APK, KC7DM, KD7WPJ, KE5AKL,
KF7SEY, KG6CIH, KG7VAK, KI4TN, KK1W, KM6BMQ,
KR7RK, KT0A, KW4JM, KX0R, KX6A, LA/OZ1LQO/P,
LA1ENA/P, LA1KHA/P, LA3NGA/P, LA9PJA/P, LA9XGA/P, LZ/SQ6GIT,
LZ1GJ/P, LZ1WF/P, M1EYP/P, MI/HB9BAB/P, MM0FMF/P, MW0IDX/P,
N0FXQ, N0SA, N0TA, N1AW, N1FJ, N1GVT,
N1ZF, N3II/P, N3TWM, N4EX/P, N4TMM, N5NA,
N6JZT, N7CQR, N7CW, N7LKL, N7LP, N9DK,
N9XG, NA6MG, ND0C, NJ7V, NOFXQ, NS0TA,
NS1TA, NS7P, NU7A, NU7Y, OE/DJ2FR, OE/DK7MG/P,
OE/DL9MDI/P, OE/DM1LE/P, OE/HB9SOTA, OE/OK1CZ/P, OE/OK2PDT/P, OE/S52AU/P,
OE1MVA/P, OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P, OE5EIN/P, OE5FSM/P, OE6FEG/P,
OE6PKF/P, OE7PHI/P, OH9XX/P, OK/DL2DXA/P, OK/OE5EIN/P, OK/OM1BD/P,
OK/OM2JU/P, OK/OM3CUG/P, OK/OM4WY/P, OK/OM6TC/P, OK/SP9MA/P, OK1CZ/P,
OK1DJQ/P, OK1KT/P, OK1MLP/P, OK2BDF/P, OK2BMA/P, OK2BTK/P,
OK2PDT/P, OK2PYA/P, OM/OM6TC/P, OM1BD/P, OM1WS/P, OM2JU/P,
OM3CUG/P, OM6AN/P, ON4GS/P, ON4KCY/P, S5/DK7FH/P, S5100PAX,
SA2CLC/P, SP/OK2PDT/P, SP9MA/P, SQ6GIT/P, SV2OXS/P, TF/HB9RYV/P,
TF3DX/P, VA2OTA, VA2SG, VA2VL, VA2VL/W1, VA6FUN,
VE2/ON6ZQ/P, VE2DDZ, VE2DDZ/W1, VE2JCW, VK1DA, VK3BYD/P,
VK5CZ, VK6NU, W0CCA, W0CP, W1EJ, W2SE,
W3AAX, W5ODS, W6BJB, W6BJB/4, W9FHA, WA6ARA,
WA6KYR, WA6MM, WA7JTM, WA7NCL, WA9STI, WB0USI,
WB5USB, WC6J, WF4I, WG0AT, WH6LE, WJ1R,
WS0TA, WU7H, WW7D, WX4TW, YO/OK1MLP, YU1RK/P

Mode: CW on 18MHz: activity for August

AC1Z, AD5A, CT1DBS/P, CT7/EA2WX/P, DL4TO/P, DL6FBK/P,
EA2LU/P, EA4MY/P, F5UKL/P, F6HBI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9BIN/P,
HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9IIO/P,
JA4RQO/4, JA9WWH/1, JF1NDT/0, JF1NDT/1, JG1GPY/1, JG4LCS/4,
JH0CJH/1, JI1IHV/0, JI1IHV/9, JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3,
JP3DGT/5, JS1UEH/0, JS1UEH/1, JS1UEH/7, K0MP, K1JD,
K1LB, K2JB, K7PX, KR7RK, KT0A, KX0R,
LA9PJA/P, M0OAT, N0TA, N7RR, NS0TA, NS1TA,
OK1CZ/P, S5100PAX, S52FT/P, SP9MA/P, VK3CAT/P, W0CP,
WC6J, WS0TA, WX4TW, YO9CB/P

Mode: CW on 21MHz: activity for August

7M4EZB, AD5A, CT7/EA2WX/P, DL4CF/P, EA2LU/P, F5UKL/P,
F8AOF/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, JA4RQO/4, JA4RQO/5,
JF1NDT/0, JF1NDT/1, JG4LCS/4, JH0CJH/1, JI1IHV/1, JP1QEC/1,
JP3DGT/3, JP3DGT/5, K1JD, KR7RK, KX0R, LA3NGA/P,
M0OAT, M1EYP/P, N9XG, OE5EIN/P, OK/OE5EIN/P, S52CU/P,
SP9MA/P

Mode: CW on 24MHz: activity for August

HB9CBR/P, HB9IIO/P, JP3DGT/3, JP3DGT/5, KR7RK, M0OAT

Mode: CW on 28MHz: activity for August

F5LKW/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9IIO/P, JP3DGT/3, JP3DGT/5, KR7RK,
M0OAT, OE6LKG/P, OK/OE5EIN/P, OK2BDF/P, OK2PDT/P, VK3YY

Mode: CW on 50MHz: activity for August

JF1NDT/0, JI3BAP/3, KR7RK

Mode: CW on 1240MHz: activity for August

Mode: FM on 28MHz: activity for August

Mode: FM on 50MHz: activity for August

EA5ILV, YO/OK1BIL/P, YO2MSB/P, YO6EVA/P, YO6PIB/P, YO9IRF/P

Mode: FM on 1240MHz: activity for August

DG0JMB/P, G4TCU/P, G4VFL/P, JG6CRU/6, JN3PDF/3, JS1GRO/1,
JS2VVH/1, K0NR, OK1DEU/P

Mode: SSB on 28MHz: activity for August

DL1CR/P, F/OE5JKL/P, HB9GKR/P, HB9TNF/P, KI4ASK, KR7RK,
OE9TKH/P, OM/SP9PND/P, S56IAA/P, S56LXN/P, S57MS/P, SP9PND/P,
VK3YY

Mode: SSB on 50MHz: activity for August

EA1FBU, EA1NL, I1WKN, IW2NHE/1, JA1KHZ/1, JF1NDT/0,
JG1GPY/1, JI3BAP/3, JJ0TRY/0, JM3URG/3, JR1NNL/1, JS1UEH/0,
JS1UEH/1, JS1UEH/7, JS2VVH/1, JS2VVH/2, KB1HXO, KR7RK,
M1EYP/P, N0XDW, N2TOM, N7TXT, OK1DEU/P, S52CU/P,
S56IAA/P, S56LXN/P, S57MS/P, SV2CLJ/P, WA7JTM

Mode: SSB on 1240MHz: activity for August

DC8TM/P, G4AZS/P, HB9BAT/P, VK1AD/P, VK2HRX, YO8SSB

73 de Kevin G0NUP

SOTA News is normally published on the last day of each month, but there will be occasions when the Editor is not available at this time, in which case it will be published as soon as possible afterwards.

It can only be as interesting as the items submitted, so if you think your particular field of interest is not being covered then please submit an article by the 25th of the month.

Have you a favourite SOTA? favourite mode? favourite rig, antenna, or favourite band? How did you find your first day / month / year as an activator or chaser? Your comments and experiences will be read by enthusiasts all across Europe, the USA, Australia and beyond, in a total of 114 different SOTA associations worldwide. Your input will be most welcome.

We receive many e-mails during the month containing details of activations, milestones reached and general SOTA news. Unless advised otherwise we will use this information in the next edition of SOTA News. It is important therefore that you advise us if any information is not intended for publication.

For ease of processing, please submit your input by e-mail direct to the addresses below and not via the Reflector.

==================================================

Mark G0VOF
SOTA News Editor
mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

U.S. and Canadian reports to:-
Fred K6DGW/7 [aka “Skip” on the radio]
Canada/US SOTA Reporter Dude
Sparks NV
k6dgw@foothill.net

Australian input to:-
Allen VK3ARH
VK Reporter
VK3ARH@wia.org.au

New Zealand input to:-
Warren ZL2AJ
warren@zl2aj.com

Japanese reports to
Toru JH0CJH
jh0cjh@jarl.com

South African input to:-
Dennis ZS4BS
zs4bs@netactive.co.za

5 Likes

Hello!
Thanks a lot for this nice SOTA News.
Best 73
André f5ukl

Hi!
Thanks for this interesting report and the job.
By the way, since a few month i dont Qso Kevin G0NUP any more!
Does Kevin gave up CW?
73 from Gerald and hope to lay your call in the log.

Hi Gerald,

Kevin G0NUP has not been in the best of health recently so has not been active on the radio.

Hopefully he will be back up to strength in the next couple of months.

Thanks & best 73,

Mark G0VOF

Thanks Mark for telling news about Kevin; we miss him and will listen to his CW when he is back on the air.
For now wishing Kevin a good recovering. 73 Gerald

Tnx fer SOTA NEWS!

A small correction to[quote=“G4SSH, post:2, topic:15903”]
Luis CU3HF/p was active from the Azores on the 29th.
[/quote]

Name is Pedro; not Luis. My other callsign is CT1DBS.
Anyway, not a big problem. :slight_smile:

Pedro, CU3HF/CT1DBS

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the correction.

73, Mark G0VOF

1 Like

One small correction: The report by KC5CW (Curtis): Jamie’s callsign is “N6JFD”. Thanks Curtis for submitting our awesome trip, and congrats on snagging W0C/RG-002!

Thanks for the correction Jamie :slight_smile:

73, Mark G0VOF