SOTA Fun Evening - 2m FM & SSB (Part 1)

I forgot to do a promo for last night’s VHF activity. However, five summit activations were on air and taking part in the 2m FM and SSB activity contests.

Carl @GW0TQM on GW/NW-042
Peter @MW0PJE on GW/NW-043
Stuart @G1ZAR on G/SP-002
Chris @M0KPW on G/LD-049
Me @M1EYP on G/SP-015

It was a decent evening on 2m. Personally I made 123 QSOs - 96 on SSB and 27 on FM.

Looking forward, how about nominating Tuesday 2nd August 2022 for a big SOTA Summer Fun Evening?

5 Likes

Seven summit stations (3 SOTA, 4 GMA) in DM (DA). Good activity but flat condx.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

I didn’t know I’d even signed up for this :slight_smile:

I’ll be out on 2nd August on a summit but I’m not finding the FM side particularly fun this year - too much QRM, mic gains set to 11, folks using x-wide deviation and the non contest stations QSY from 145 to 144 MHz on contest nights for some reason.

2 Likes

The moment you engage the PTT on a Tuesday evening - and I hear you - you’ve signed up :wink:

I agree with most of your comments re the FMAC. It was supposed to be an entry-level event for stations new to contesting, but I always thought the concept was flawed. For the reasons you point out, FM is not suitable for contesting, and the main UKAC was already working very effectively itself in terms of bringing new participants into VHF contesting.

I disagree that non-contest stations QSY to the lower part of the band on contest evenings. They have been using these frequencies for local nets, regular chats etc for many years. Additionally, these are long-established frequencies for SSTV talkback, beginner CW training etc. I’d be happy to see the FMACs ended myself, but as long as they exist, I’ll be taking part, along with the 100s of others to whom, like myself, the event is not intended :smiley:

Great that you’ll be out on 5th August. Let’s hope all the regulars/semi-regulars above will be, and let’s try and encourage lots of participation from more SOTA activators.

1 Like

Tom, I agree with your comments above.
Personally I thought FMAC on 4m was more useful as there a a lot of people with FM only rigs on that band.
I usually arrive on summit after the FMAC has started and tune around and pick out the stations I want to work, while still getting prepared for the SSB leg.
I generally look for SOTA stations and stations that I don’t recognise as “regular contesters” to try and encourage them just to be on the air.

3 Likes

Are you out tonight for the 70cm Stuart?

I note that @MM0EFI and @GW4BML are both out on multiple summits this evening. Neither has alerted for 70cm - but much activity awaits if that band is added to the plans!

…including potential S2S with me and @G1ZAR

3 Likes

I’ll have capabilities for 70cm, so I’ll listen out and work all stations I can hear :slight_smile: maybe we’ll make a S2S @M1EYP Tom

Cheers, Ben

2 Likes

I’m literally in the wilderness tonight, so will stick to HF, otherwise I’ll be there all night trying on 2m or 70cm!

4 Likes

I’ll have HF/2/70, so hope to make some S2Ss tonight as well. Easington Fell for me, as it’s close to work and I have a pass from Nic to play radio tonight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DM/NS-135, 100 W @ 11.5 dBd 20 m agl

It’s been a while since I activated a SOTA summit on a VHF Tuesday. However, I was out in JO50 every 144 MHz Activity Night, but not on a SOTA reference. After a year it was now time for a Tuesday night on my home summit Lauensteiner Kopf.

WX was just perfect at 1043 hPa, no wind, clear sky, full moon, temperature -3° C, dewpoint -8° C, and neither BVB 09 Dortmund nor Bayern München played in DFB Cup. Plenty reasons for good activity on the band in north-west DL.

Condx were not above average but activity was good fun for 2.5 hours. All QSOs SSB.

View of Hameln (in the valley)

Notice how bright the stars are

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

I did a little bit (first 10 minutes) in the FM section from G/SP-015, and then the last 20 minutes of the UKAC (SSB) from home later. I didn’t do proper full participation in the contests from the summit as usual, because Macclesfield FC had a home match that I wanted to attend.

Hopefully we can combine a DX contest contact with a S2S in this year’s series. Tonight I will be on G/SP-015 for the full duration of the 6m UKAC (2000-2230z).

2 Likes

Let’s keep an eye on next week’s 70 cm activity night. At the time, forecast here is high pressure and inversion layers, so quite DX’ish. Let’s see how wx develops.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

I tend not to do the 70cm events portable any more. I don’t currently have a working 70cm portable beam. Furthermore, next Tuesday is Valentines night, and I have a dinner booking with my wife Marianne!

1 Like

I did the 2m contest on Tuesday, portable, but not SOTA summit. Did manage to work a few outside of the UK, but to much local QRM for most that were calling.
Like Tom, I will miss the 70cm this month due to a combination of Valentines night / our anniversary.
I hope conditions are good for you.
My usual SOTA summit is not far from G4CLA, who was your ODX.
Not on 6m tonight as son’s 40th birthday
Hope to catch some S2S when the weather improves and there are more /P stations about.
73…Stuart

3 Likes

Yet another picture of Pom’s VHF station on DM/NS-135!

Great wx, good activity and slightly enhanced condx to G land made it a real fun night.
S2S: DL4MFM/P (DM/NS-108), DL1DSR/P (DA/HE-575, GMA)

Ahoi
Pom

6 Likes

I’m still on holiday in EI. I am managing to get some SOTA done in the early mornings, but evening outings are out of the question! And last night was my wife’s birthday, so going up a SOTA to do the contest would have likely resulted in solicitors preparing divorce papers…

1 Like

I wish!
This far North the tropo was dying and QSB horrendous

I skipped April’s 2m Fun Evening / FMAC-UKAC, and preserved domestic bliss.

But now it is MAY! Hurray!

The wx is super. But the only alert is my own…

Anyone else heading out tonight for some VHF radio fun from a summit?

1 Like

Thanks Tom, for all the information. I will try to be there next month. Best Wishes to all involved. 73 de Paul.

Aha.
aha
Ghost activation report (including ghost S2S with DB7MM/P) to come soon. :wink:

Ahoi
Pom

2 Likes