Rounding Errors Of Summit Coordinates

I’m not so sure about that! In the UK anything above about 600 metres is as likely as not to be in cloud, and locating a cairn or a trig point with visibility down to a few tens of metres can be pretty hit and miss on the flatter summits unless there is a well-marked path or a line of cairns projecting above the snow. I well remember searching for the summit of Kinder Scout for about half an hour the first time I went up it, thick cloud and dodging two or three metre deep channels cut in the peat! One of the few justifications that I can think of for GPS - and I still haven’t bothered with one!

Brian

I hope you’re not putting me in the “purist, making a fuss” category, Martin. My various remarks in this thread, following on from others’ suggestions, were meant to be taken as guidelines as to how generally to move forward in the process of improving and stabilising the system behind the database - for the good of all.

I’m the last person to lay down the law as regards programming style or database design; however, it’s generally recognized that there are good, and not-so-good, ways of doing these things.

Not particularly. If anybody, I was thinking of myself!

Absolutely