Radio club talks about SOTA

Wednesday 27th April 2011 was the day of the SOTA talk at the Wirral ARC. Jimmy and I drove out to the venue at Irby Cricket Club, an unpleasant journey straight into a bright low sun all the way!

We enjoyed a good turn out of 25 and a friendly and enthusiastic club, and I think we may have converted a couple of new activators and several new chasers.

We hadn’t eaten, so we went for a quick curry in Birkenhead before hitting the M53 and M56 home for another late night.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
“We hadn’t eaten, so we went for a quick curry in Birkenhead before hitting the M53 and M56 home for another late night.”

Surprised Jimmy wasn’t left outside with a lemonade & a packet of crisps after your lack of supper after the activity contest!!

Barry GM4TOE

Lemonade??? It used to be tap water every time. But he’s on better stuff than that nowadays. More expensive stuff as well…

I’m on me Jack Jones tomorrow night though, as Jimmy will be busy studying (his choice, not my direction, honest guv). And I expect it will be a mug of tea rather than a pint of beer, unless anyone goes for one afterwards.

It is my talk that is just about as far removed from SOTA as you can imagine - broadcasting from the seas - Offshore Pirate Radio (the modern era). Stockport Radio Club, Walthew House, about 8pm.

http://www.g8srs.co.uk/

See you there if you’re going along. A few slots (but not many) remain for SOTA club talks in the Autumn, but most bookings will have to be into 2012 now.

73, Tom M1EYP

The next SOTA club talk in the UK Tour of SOTA Club Talks is almost upon us.

Tuesday 31st May at Ruardean Sports & Social Club, Ruardean Hill, 8pm. Beforehand, around 6.30pm, there will be a demo activation of Ruardean Hill G/WB-021, the summit of which is very close to the club venue (which is in the AZ!).

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Whilst you are there, Tom, see if you can find out what that hellish racket was that I found on 2 metre FM when I was there at the beginning of April? If it is on when you are there Jimmy might not be able to activate in that band/mode. I will have my beam turned that way just in case.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Whilst you are there, Tom, see if you can find out what that hellish
racket was that I found on 2 metre FM when I was there at the
beginning of April? If it is on when you are there Jimmy might not be
able to activate in that band/mode. I will have my beam turned that
way just in case.

How curious, Brian. I have activated G/WB-021 on 46 occasions since October 2009 and I have not once encountered any noise on any band. I can’t imagine where it came from.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Indeed, Walt, I have never heard any comments about it from other people and never heard it before myself. It was an S9++ buzzing sound covering several channels around S20 and when we were returning to the main road it started to come and go as if dips in the road were screening it from us, it was last heard about half a kilometre from Nailbridge as we descended through the woods to the A4136. There are some masts on the summit and I wonder if perhaps it was some sort of breakthrough on the FT857. As the local club have their antennas on top of a building at the sports ground perhaps they know what it was!

Brian G8ADD

No noise problems reported by Jimmy in his 2m FM activation on WB-021 last night. Great to have such a large audience turnout for the demo and the talk, must have been about 25 - 30. Those are the sort of numbers you get at Bolton Wireless Club, so to get that at a rural ARC is remarkable, and all credit to Chris G0SDD for putting it all together. Nice to meet Geoff 2E0BTR as well.

As well as Ruardean Hill G/WB-021, we did five new uniques in GW/SW - really good fun and genuinely lovely hills - recommended. (Sugar Loaf, Bryn Arw, Ysgyryd Fawr (Skirrid Hill), Tor y Foel and Allt yr Esgair).

Tom M1EYP

On with the activation reports…

Tuesday 31st May 2011 was the day that Chris G0SDD had booked Jimmy and I to present a SOTA talk at the Forest of Dean Amateur Radio Group (herein after referred to as FODARG) in Ruardean. Part of the deal was B&B for Jimmy and myself, so we made it into a two day SOTA expedition.

We set off around 6am having been up since 5am, and headed for the M6. The car was telling me it needed more diesel as we approached the Midlands, so we pulled into Hilton Park services to fill her up, and fill us up too with full English breakfasts.

There were no hold ups at all, and it didn’t seem to take long to progress down the M6, M5 and M50. Nor on the A40 through Monmouth to Abergavenny, shortly after which Jimmy directed me onto a minor road and up to the parking spot and viewpoint at SO268167. The first SOTA of the trip would be Sugar Loaf GW/SW-011.

After kitting up, we were walking up the path opposite, and enjoying the gentle start to the day afforded by the benign gradients involved. The walk finally did offer some challenge with work to be done on the steeper shoulder of the hill, but it remained straightforward. The summit area was rather thin, so setting up out of others’ way was not obvious - so we didn’t! As it was, we were, as usual, chatted to by lots of interested and friendly walkers. One of them introduced himself to me as G8YJM, and his son who was studying for the Foundation licence.

Jimmy had what was to be his best activation of the trip with 16 QSOs on 2m FM. It would all be downhill from here for Jim! On 40m CW I managed 23 QSOs, which would also turn out to be a relatively bumper total, as HF conditions would take a turn for the worse later on. We were pleased with the hill. It was a really nice walk, and the views from the summit were superb.

The return journey was a simple reversal of the ascent route, and it did not take too long. Back at the car park, we were a little relieved to find that no attack had been made on the car, and no horrid thugs appeared to be lurking. Research had made us wary of the problems with car crime in walkers’ car parks in South Wales. Of course, we were carrying our overnight bags, plus SOTA merchandise and my laptop. We kept it all well hidden from prying eyes!

That was the first new activator unique of the trip, and it was now off to Bryn Arw GW/SW-026.

Tom M1EYP

The second summit on Tuesday 31st May 2011 was Bryn Arw GW/SW-026. From the parking area for Sugar Loaf GW/SW-011, Jimmy directed me back down through Abergavenny, the village of Bettws and up to Forest Coal Pit. Here we turned right up the cul-de-sac to Old Coalpit, and the farmhouse beside which the road stops and the bridleway begins. I found a space to park and tucked my car in there.

It was now a warm day, and the coats used on the earlier summit were now firmly stuffed into our rucksacks. Jimmy marched ahead up the by-way, but waited to indicate to me where to turn right and head up hill. This was still on a path, but nowhere near as used and established as the by-way just left.

This was a short steep climb up a grassy hill. As it began to level off, it was time to branch left and follow a largely flat approach to the summit. Jimmy was already there setting up, and I found myself a bit of shelter behind tall gorse.

It was just four QSOs on 2m FM for Jimmy this time, and I soon realised that 40m was in pretty bad shape with very low activity across the band and signal strengths well down. But 7.032 works even when the ionosphere doesn’t it seems, and I was able to force seven contacts through, all with regular chasers.

I wasn’t overly concerned at the brevity of the activation, for that gave the chance to squeeze another unique out of the day, before heading across to Ruardean. After descending and returning to the car, we agreed to bring Ysgyryd Fawr GW/SW-016 forward one day from the original itinerary. The JimNav sprung into action once again.

Tom M1EYP

We were now racing against the clock. There was still drive over to Ruardean, Gloucestershire to undertake, with a radio club expecting us at 6.30pm. But we had finished our scheduled two summits on Tuesday 31st May 2011 by 2pm. Should we squeeze in an extra activation, or take it easy, check in the B&B, have a shower and relax?

You know the answer. We drove back to Abergavenny, and then (after a couple of wrong turnings) out on the B4521. Ysgyryd Fawr loomed up on the left hand side, and soon after, so the the parking area. There was room for about 12 cars here - and there were 12 cars here! However, some children were playing nearby, and some people were sat in their cars reading the papers. I backed into a space on the end right in front of the access gate to our path. I knew I couldn’t leave my car there, but reckoned it wouldn’t be too long before a space became available.

And within 2 or 3 minutes, a couple of families walked down the path towards us, got into their cars, and drove off. Sorted. Looking at the map, I reckoned this walk to be about 50 minutes each way. We only had a two hour window available, so I had to push myself to try and beat my estimated time.

The day had warmed up further, so after marching quickly up the initial track to the edge of Caer Wood, I was sweating cobs. It mattered not. We had to press on and put a fast approach time in so as not to be inappropriately late to our booking. The information board at the bottom of the steep section up through the woods told of the history and legend of Skirrid Hill. Skirrid Hill? Ysgyryd Fawr - oh, yes, of course! I hadn’t recognised the English “Skirrid” in the Welsh “Ysgyryd”, but at least now I knew how to pronounce it! I recalled something about the Skirrid Inn in that dreadful TV show of past years “Most Haunted” with Yvette Fielding.

The extra effort and resulting exertion did me good, and I was surprised at how quickly I managed to climb through the wooded section. A welcome reacquaintence with refreshing breeze greeted us as we climbed the end of the ridge. And what a ridge. We were suddenly walking loftily atop a narrowing ridge with marvellous views, and homing in steadily on the summit.

By the time we reached the summit, the “refreshing breeze” had morphed into a buffeting wind. One that I knew would snap my SOTA pole in seconds. Jimmy had already dropped down the eastern face, about 3 metres, to give himself sufficient shelter to erect the 2m beam. I did likewise, but a further 3 metres down onto a small flat section before the slope dropped very steeply away again.

It was the requisite 4 contacts on 2m FM for Jimmy again, while conditions remained poor on 40m CW for me, with just 6 going into the log this time. One of them - CT1BQH - was nonetheless a very satisfying contact however.

I could have stayed and tried harder, or maybe QSYd to 15m, but we had a presentation to get to and deliver. We raced down the hill as fast as out tired and aching bodies would allow, and hit the road back to England. The next stop would be Ruardean Hill G/WB-021.

Tom M1EYP

So, Tuesday 31st May 2011 had become a four summit day. Not bad considering that we must have done 150 miles motoring to get to the first one! Anyway, number four was to be Ruardean Hill G/WB-021, for the purpose of a demonstration SOTA activation for the members of FODARG.

From Ysgyryd Fawr GW/SW-016, we made good progress back through Monmouth and into the Forest of Dean. Jimmy directed me up to the top of Ruardean Hill, where we parked outside the Ruardean Hill Sports & Social Club - also the venue of FODARG and our talk there that night.

No other radio amateurs were spotted, but a few mobile whips on magmounts were in evidence on cars. Soon enough, an amateur walked towards us and introduced himself as a member of a neighbouring club that had been invited for the evening. He pointed us in the direction of a large group of people - and cars - over by Pan Tod Beacon. So we walked past the trig point, and past the flagpole (the true summit) and onto the pleasant grassy area with nice views around the beacon.

There were plenty of introductions and handshakes to get through first, one of whom was regular SOTA activator Geoff 2E0BTR. Now that was one member of the audience that certainly did not need the live demonstration of how to conduct a portable SOTA operation!

It was 2m FM again for Jimmy, and although his over rate was slow, and lots of CQ calls were required, he ended on five QSOs. Conditions on 40m had improved slightly from the earlier afternoon, and I was able to rattle through 15 calling stations. This was all in front of an audience of between 5 and 10 stood around me at any one point!

Jimmy and I packed away, and walked back across the true summit to the car park for the social club. We carried all the props for the talk into the clubhouse, then went to get changed into SOTA T-shirts.

Chris G0SDD who had arranged the talk, had kindly brought the projector and speakers as requested, and we were soon ready to run. One of the members brought Jimmy and I a pint of bitter each over, which was extremely welcome, and we got into the lecture. The SOTA talk includes a lengthy powerpoint presentation, a couple of videos, a demonstration of setting up a 2m station and antenna, then operating it from inside a bothy bag (that is obscenely hot when done indoors!) and Q+As.

There was a brilliant turn out of about 25 to 30, and virtually all of them had been there since the start of the activation demo at 6.30pm. The talk finally finished at 10.05pm, with everyone still in the room, and I felt it had been a very worthwhile evening. I get a real buzz when I get to do this talk for a large and enthusiatic audience, and this one was up there with the previous best ones like Bolton Wireless Club and the lecture stream at the Leicester Show.

After packing everything away, Jimmy directed me down to Cinderford where we grabbed a late fish supper, and then onto our B&B - Edale House in Parkend. It was great to get into a comfortable bed and drift (very quickly) off to sleep.

Tom M1EYP

Wednesday 1st June 2011, and what a treat was in store! The breakfast at the Edale House B&B in Parkend, Forest of Dean. It was stunning, with special recipe sausage and black pudding, and thick hand-sliced bacon from the local butcher - an 82 year old woman, I was informed. Delicious free-range eggs, home made hash browns, and all the other trimmings. I recommend that everyone books to stay at Edale House for one night just to try the breakfast!

But at 9am, it was time to go. The landlord confirmed that the bill had already been settled by FODARG, so it was back west through Monmouth and Abergavenny. But this time, we took the A465, A4077 and the B4558, for our target was Tor y Foel GW/SW-013.

Jimmy directed me onto a minor road, a long cul-de-sac climbing high up on the eastern side of Talybont Reservoir. We got to where the road ends according to the map, but on the ground it appeared to carry on quite some considerable distance. We parked here anyway and began our plod up the wide curving path to the summit.

This was a bit steep, and we were still tired from the previous day. So progress was slow, but balanced by the fact that this is a short walk. There was a really stiff breeze across the top, so we both found spots on the north-facing heathery slopes to set up.

40m CW was in reasonable, if not tip-top condition, and 15 QSOs went into the logbook. Over on 2m FM, Jimmy was heard enthusing to Chris G0SDD about the breakfast at the B&B he had booked us into! Jimmy finished with the necessary four contacts, as VHF FM continued to fail to reap the kind of rewards we are used to “up north”.

Now, we were chasing deadlines again. Marianne had set a time of 5pm to be home, as she was going out to work. I decided we could get one more summit in, and Jimmy selected Allt yr Esgair GW/SW-023.

Tom M1EYP

From Tor y Foel GW/SW-013, Jimmy directed me back down to follow the A40 north-west for a short distance, then right onto a minor road up to the hall at SO122256. We parked in the small car park in front of the hall, this also being a splendid viewpoint over Llangors Lake.

This was our second and final summit on Wednesday 1st June 2011, and indeed our last summit of the two day outing that centered on our SOTA talk at FODARG on the Tuesday night. Allt yr Esgair GW/SW-023 was the most challenging Welsh pronounciation of all our summits, and neither of us made much of an attempt at it! What a change from our first summit of the trip - Sugar Loaf GW/SW-011! (Now what would that actually be in Welsh? Swcr Loff or something like that maybe!).

It was becoming quite a humid early afternoon, but we had to be lively on our feet. Initially, we walked up a narrow path flanked by tall hedges, before going into the woodland to follow a nicely graded meandering ascent path. This covered quite a distance and gained plenty of height before emerging from the trees and affording us a view. We finally had an airy approach along the broad ridge to the summit.

Jimmy set up by the wall, but struggled on 2m FM as he feared, from this summit almost surrounded by higher ground. The 40m band had bombed again like the previous afternoon, so it took a little time to generate some interest to my CQ calls. When it did come, it lasted all of five contacts.

I started to pack up, as we had to be home in time for Marianne to go out to work. But Jimmy was stranded on three QSOs. I took the map off him, so I could inspect the topography on my descent. Jimmy continued to call CQ, hoping for a 4th contact before resorting to working me on my descent. He had to limit these calls, timing one minute before calling again as his battery was running out.

I had been monitoring, so when I heard him call CQ again when I was very safely below the activation zone, I worked him as MW1EYP/M to provide that all-important fourth contact. Not the most satisfactory way of doing things, but considerably more satisfactory than abandoning the summit on three QSOs!

We were a little bit behind schedule, but the motorways were mainly clear, and we were home by 5.45pm. And it turned out that Marianne was leaving for work at 6.10pm, not the 5pm we had understood it to be, so everything worked out.

This was a very satisfying two-day outing. Six SOTA activations, five new uniques, eight SOTA points, a full SOTA evening at FODARG and a bed & (magnificent) breakfast stopover.

Now, what other clubs would like us to visit with the SOTA (or other) talk that are sufficiently distant to require an overnight stop?!

With many thanks to Chris G0SDD for arranging it all and ensuring a large turnout for the talk.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
What a change from our first

summit of the trip - Sugar Loaf GW/SW-011! (Now what would that
actually be in Welsh? Swcr Loff or something like that maybe!).

According to the map its Welsh name is Y Fal, but don’t ask me what that means, I’m only surprised that the language mafia don’t insist on it! My Welsh Aunt (many years ago) called it the “Sugar Tump” tump being something like a hillock.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom, I would just like to say a big thank you for the effort you and Jimmy put into the talk at Fodarg on 31-5-11. funny and educational and after having signed up to sota watch i have found out that Garway where i regularly fly radio controlled gliders from is also a summit
it was much appreciated by all and as secretary for the club i have received quite a few nice e-mails from the other clubs present saying the same.
Thanks again to you both Pete de G7VHJ fodarg sec

In reply to G7VHJ:

Thank you for the nice feedback Pete. It was a realy enjoyable night for us too.

I look forward to you taking a second radio-related hobby onto Garway Hill!

http://www.tomread.co.uk/garway.htm

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I turned on my HT on the off-chance of anything on 2m FM at the end of my activation of Foel Cwmcerwyn GW/MW-011 on 1 June. I was very surprised to hear two activators calling CQ at the same time. There was radio silence in West Wales mid week otherwise. I figured they couldn’t hear each other so answered Barry MW6BDV/P and Jimmy MW3EYP/P and arranged to work each one after the other. Barry was on Tarrenhendre GW/NW-036 in a famine of radio contacts and was glad to talk. He and I QSY’ed to Jimmy’s frequency and I worked Jimmy on SW-023 for the second S2S and played relay station. Barry sent his regrets for no copy which I passed on.
I’m glad Jimmy got his point in the end.

David M0YDH

Next club talk in the calendar is tonight:

http://www.g6tw.co.uk/

South Cheshire Amateur Radio Society
Sea Cadets HQ, Training Ship Ambuscade, Queen Street, CREWE CW1 4AF

Start time will be about 7.30pm/8pm.

SOTA merchandise - T-shirts, sweatshirts, polo-shirts, flags, stickers and the newly arrived stock of enamel badges - will be available for sale, without the additional cost of P&P - from myself before/after the presentation.

Tom M1EYP

Nice evening at the SCARS - nice club, nice people. As usual, ears seem to prick up when I explain that all past SOTA contacts in people’s logbooks can be entered on the Database and claimed for chaser points, after registering!

Thanks to Ray M1REK for the transport to and from the venue. Hopefully a few new activators will emerge.

73, Tom M1EYP