Please do not

I don’t see why the net structure would not work for portable stations at trig points.

The only way to find out will be to give it a go I guess, and take it from there. Right, off to have a look at the details for the trigpoint award, and muse over how I would approach a joint trigpoint/SOTA operation.

2 Likes

For my part, I would be happy with the activator making and working through a list, as typified by John operating summits as GX0OOO/P, the fatal problem with a net is that it is run by a “controller”, not the target station, and if the controller cannot hear a station calling in then that station will have a problem working the target station. This will present larger problems to the more distant stations and may make it very difficult for S2S contacts. By and large, even the most vociferous pile-ups quieten down for an S2S, an S2S has priority, but what if the controller cannot hear a remote activation calling for an S2S?

We say “the activator is king”, the king doen’t need an emperor running things!

Brian

Funnily enough, this was being discussed on the WAB net just a few minutes ago. Bill G4WSB was explaining that the net format might not suit a trig point activator well, and also suggested that the WAB priority for /M over /P would need to be reviewed.

I concur with Brian’s observations, and still think that a trig point activator advising the net of a run frequency and running that himself/herself would be the way to go.

well what ever the rights or wrongs of either wab or sota , its been a great year for me as a chaser , but i have noticed its becoming an absolute zoo mostly from the the continent, and i have heard once or twice of activators switching off or qsying. but in the end if it wasnt for the portable and for wab mobile we wouldnt be getting any sota references / wab squares
dave

I agree with you Dave. I still do most of my activations on 2m and that tends to be a little more ‘gentlemanly’.

I reserve HF now for when I’m feeling feisty! :smile:

Rob G7LAS/P

1 Like

We hear a lot of bad operating from the continent - but skip prevents us from hearing if there is similar bad operating from UK hams!

Brian

Those of us up on the periphery of Europe are happy to confirm UK stations are as bad as everyone else is.

I didn’t know you were in Iceland! :slight_smile:

Brian

Yes, I was there this morning looking for some Tiramisu for the memsahib. I’ve got to go back as I forgot the prawns. Bah! Christmas hey, shops shut for 1 day and you need to buy in enough food to mount your own famine relief campaign. Still 2 more sleeps until I can uncork The Caribbean Cask. :slight_smile: :tropical_drink:

… except if you live in Wales. There, everything shuts on 24 December and doesn’t reopen until 2 January!

At least, that’s how it seemed when I lived there. The only place in Britain where there are no bus or train services on Bank Holidays!
:smile:

Nadolig Llawen!

Walt (G3NYY)

IMHO, it is not a problem of where are you from. I’ve heard people shouting out of time from EA2, G, CU, etc. Recently we have discussed this around here, and I’ll try to make my contribution.

While some activators tend to work aligators as fast as they can to get them out of the pile-up, I think that It is the activator way of doing which marks mainly the pile-up behaviour.

If you do QSY or stand by for a couple of minutes, normally the “circus” calms down by itself.
If not, try telling right there to the big green animal to stand-by, or that he is not going to be on the log, spelling loud and clear his/her callsign. I’ve done it a couple of times with excellent results. Leaving the crocodiles to the last pile-ups places normally is not a good solution (again IMHO) as they will continue shouting with his/her 5Kw PA and 14 el Yagi, without noticing that THEY are the very problem.

We all say that the activator is the King, but also the kings have their own responsabilities…

Anyway, I think you cannot find such a clean and gentle place as a SOTA pile up… Listen to any contest or DXpedition to feel we are -at least by the moment- very lucky!

:wink:
73, Mikel

1 Like

Being a small powered station yes it can get very busy and some times one just has to put the mike down fill out some logs till it calms down and then try again. But some times one has fell across the sotas just on the beginning to start up and slip in early or if station is strong to me usually can get through but if station is weak one tends to hang on towards end and slip in But one station one has noticed you can;t do that for they tend to slip off quickly
Hi ho one of those things
And yes compared to some activation’s that the zoo goes on for days and day and chances of one getting through are zero.

We are lucky with the sotas one rather enjoys it only been at it since August and looking forwards to 2015 hope with the beam up and running.

These gents and ladies that go up these hills and mountains for us to chase one has big respect for giving up there time and enduring some horrible weather so we can hear there voices in these places that would not be heard and as for us sitting on our butts as chasers. Plus its makes QRP more fun too and in a way encourages QRP operations.

Long live Sota

Karl
Merry Christmas to one and all on Sota chaser and activator

Try living in the bag end of the UK - no bus and train service 365 days a year :frowning:
(Not quite true, we have a bus to Keith [where??] and one to Elgin most weeks neither of which allow you more than a 90 minute stay - about 120minutes too long for Elgin)

1 Like

Hi Walt

‘The times they are a changing’ with late night shopping, home delivery and ‘Sales’ on Boxing day in West Wales. - you can even ‘Book a Bus’ http://m.bwcabus.traveline-cymru.info .However, living in a rural community a car is still an essential mode of transport :frowning:

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Allan GW4VPX

PS. Trevor GW4RVA sends his regards to you Walt

Stop complaining. You have the most reliable service anywhere in the UK.

Happy Christmas

73 Richard G3CWI

1 Like

Diolch i chi, Allan. Cael gŵyl llawen.

Walt (G3NYY)

P.S. “Bwcabus”! Ha ha ha! You’ve got to smile. Almost as good as “Teiar a Batri”, which I saw on a sign outside a garage near Lampeter.
:smile: