People from Andy's formative youth who are now dead

Now Terry Jones of Python fame joins Neil Innes.

Possibly his Mr. Creosote character was the funniest. Certainly the most gross.

Maitre d’:
Good evening sir and how are we today?

Mr. Creosote:
Better.

Maitre d’:
Better?

Mr. Creosote:
Better get a bucket. I’m gonna throw up.

1 Like

The older we get Andy, the more depressing (or close to home) this thread is likely to get :confused:

Dam’ right! My first thought was that the poor beggar was a couple of years younger than me! In fact pretty well all the figures from my formative years are gone already.:unamused:

To be fair, you are very old Brian! :wink:

But as long as you’re walking the fells and going to your climbing club meets you’ll still be in better shape than millions that are 30-40 years your junior!

I was 30 when I got my licence and everyone else seemed older than me. Almost immediately SOTA started and changed my life. Then I blinked - and suddenly I’m in a year in which I will have my 50th birthday. How on earth did that happen?

Back on topic, my personal favourite is Terry’s face trying desperately and hopelessly not to laugh in a certain scene from Life of Brian. I won’t mention the name obviously, but it includes the line “I have a very great friend in Rome…”.

Don’t blink or you will miss your 60th!

2 Likes

Now this one is saddening. Nicholas Parsons, host of Just a Minute and Sale of the Century has moved on aged 96.

As Nicholas has hosted Just a Minute since its inception in 1967, I’m not sure who, if anyone, would be able to take over.

:frowning:

At least I have heard of him, which is more than can be said of the “Kobe Bryant” whose sad demise has monopolised every TV news bulletin in the UK for the past 3 days.

Always sad to hear of someone passing on, though, even if I’ve never heard of them.

Walt (G3NYY)

Indeed Walt.

As I get older I find I’ve heard of more of them

My regular Sunday morning listening (at least I think it was Sunday and not Saturday) for many years. I found it amazing that he was still hosting the show well into his 90’s. In fact I think I did listen to has last aired show in September 2019. The show had quite a large internet listening audience and spawned a variation in India. Comedians such as Paul Merton, Sheila Hancock, Pam Ayres, Giles Brandreth, and in the past Clement Freud, Kenneth Williams, and Derek Nimmo.amongst many others took part although I guess many readers will not recognise these names.

For anyone interested in understanding what this show was all about BBC R4 is replaying a 2018 interview at 23:00 tonight

Just A Minute Radio - online station - is a nice thing to tune into on a Pure Oneflow or other internet radio (or from a PC, app etc). It plays randomly ordered episodes from the archive. The archive is also on the BBC website, though it surprises me that shows featuring now-disgraced panelists are still available.

Me and Liam went to see Nicholas Parsons in Macclesfield back in 2015 - really interesting evening.

It works?? I have had so many Pure devices over the years and most have failed well before its use-by date. I have 3 on the shelf beside me waiting to go to recycling although I still have two still going for now

Yep. Christmas present from Marianne 2 or 3 Yuletides ago. Great radio.

I’ll always remember Nicholas Parsons in ‘Mr Jolly Lives Next Door’:

Also starring Rik Mayall, who is another sadly missed actor.
73 Matt

1 Like

I see Coronavirus has claimed its first Goodie. Can things get any worse?

73 Matt

Oh man that’s a sad one. I’ve held back commenting on people who have died recently just in case someone thinks is not respectful or out of place with so many deaths from Coronavirus.

I can remember him from his early days and The Goodies. In retrospect, The Goodies wasn’t actually that funny. His work on ISIHAC was sublime. He was someone who could be funny without being rude and someone who could produce mind-numbingly filthy double entendres too.

Stirling Moss died today as well. I can remember as a child in the 60s when we had races in pedal cars someone was Stirling Moss, someone else Jim Clarke or Graham Hill. We didn’t do foreign drivers in the 60’s as kids because we were an island with an island fortress mentality. We dropped that in mid 70s, well I thought we had but 52% thought not.

RIP both.

2 Likes

I was a lot younger, and a giant white cat ravaging London was the funniest thing I’d ever seen. When I got older ISIHAC was another pleasant discovery. I guess if we mention everyone this list is going to get very long. Very sad and tragic circumstances.
73 Matt

That is really sad. I loved the Goodies, I guess I was the right age at the time! I know they’re panned now for having been non-PC (by today’s standards) but I think the funniest thing I’ve EVER seen on television was the apartheid piano in the “South Africa” episode :rofl:

“Twerk - where a Yorkshireman goes at 8 o’clock on a Monday morning”.

2 Likes

Any Australian kid of my around my age probably grew up on a steady diet of The Goodies, interspersed with Mysterious Cities of Gold, Monkey, You Can’t Do That On Television and Roger Ramjet. Basically the ABC line up leading into EastEnders at 6:30pm.

Looking back at them now with my kids, I’m surprised the Goodies were ever allowed at such an early timeslot, but my kids love Kitten Kong, the Dinosaur caving episode and many others.

As the token South African kid in Australia, I must admit I took a lot of delight in that episode, even if none of my friends understood it (being under 10 years of age)

My favourite quote from TBT was in the King Arthur/Arthur King episode, “Once a knight, always a knight. Twice a night and you’re doing alright!”

1 Like

The Apartheid episode gets a lot of stick for the fact they wore minstrel blackface makeup. When it was shown, The Black & White Minstrel show was still a massively popular draw on UK TV at this time and it continued on till 1978. The audience figures for B&W Minstrel Show are hard to conceive but that was the 70s. I have no problem with The Goodies using whatever means to ridicule Apartheid and make it look stupid. Danny Glover and Mel Gibson did a similar job in Lethal Weapon 2.

Monkey: that was pretty surreal TBH and I watched a lot of those episodes on re-runs. Sad fact, Masako Natsume who played Tripitaka died 35 years ago aged only 27. A trip to YouTube to watch the title credits to Monkey is called for.

I think I’ll get the honour of making both the first and last post in this thread so I’d like you all to do your best to stay safe out there till we can all get back on the mountains.

2 Likes