P100 revision of the Allgaeu Alps

In reply to G4OIG:
With 5 Watts and a beam you will have no problem Gerald -the usual chasers in cluding Birmingham mafia should be no problem - but not many locals will hear you. Weird hill RF wise.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OIG:

This thread seems to have developed into a discussion about solving a problem that doesn’t exist by adopting a measure that nobody wants - truly a symptom of democracy…

Let us be thankful that SOTA is a benevolent dictatorship!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Paul,

Several times since I joined the SOTA fraternity the issues of point scoring and the minimum number of contacts have done the rounds. Basically, there is not a problem as long as we have a common set of rules. Of course that still leaves the issue of the different standards of P100 and P150 permitted under those rules… enough said on that subject, I have given my views.

As for NP-028, I think I’ll take the 150w linear and both my 5 element beams and scorch the earth so it literally will be an RF black hole!

73, Gerald

In reply to G8ADD:

but in general I think that calling CQSOTA on 2m FM within say 50 km of a
conurbation gives you problems in pulling one callsign out of the pileup!

And you’ve done this in GM how many times?

I’ll buy you a bottle of scotch for every GM example you can give me where you have been overwhelmed on 2m FM. You can stand in the Pentlands looking down onto a city with a 450000 population and struggle to get one contact on 2m FM.

Now write out 100 times: 2m FM is not the same all over Europe as it is in the densly populated Midlands and NW of England.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

;-))

Brian G8ADD

This thread seems to have gone a little off-topic, but it doesn’t bother me, I didn’t want to start a new thread. Just wanted to add that I also have failed to qualify Rombalds Moor NP-028, it does indeed seem to be an RF black hole!

I have decided to take some time off work tomorrow evening to have another bash at Fun evening. I will activate NP-028, as it’s the closest SOTA summit to my QTH. I have already activated NP-028 this year, so it doesn’t really matter If I qualify the summit or not, but I hope to make a least a few QSO’s!

73 Colin