Mountain Eagle?

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. All points noted and opinions respected if not agreed with.
In answer to your reponse not all wish to attain the full license or attain such in order to apply for a NOV as an example or are interested in tapping a key, my opinion is that ‘radio is all things to all people’.
My remarks were not levelled at the prefered bands that activators/chasers choose to use for SOTA contacts,that is down to the individual and I would defend their right to do so. I was simply refering to the ‘main all band chaser table’ and its inadequecies as a league table for all taking part across the board/licenselevels. If the league table mentioned was just for full license holders or a hobby elite, I would not have made mention to the tables.

‘Democracy is good in theory but if you want to get anything done a dictatorship is a better bet ;0)’.

My apologies Steve, I did’nt realise that this was the case. I honestly thought that the points made by a number of SOTA members for a seperate award,the S2S, Mountain Eagle, were valid and that consideration would be given to such. Your quote above obviously dispells my previous notions.

Ian
2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve

My remarks were not levelled at the prefered bands that
activators/chasers choose to use for SOTA contacts,that is down to the
individual and I would defend their right to do so. I was simply
refering to the ‘main all band chaser table’ and its inadequecies as a
league table for all taking part across the board/licenselevels. If
the league table mentioned was just for full license holders or a
hobby elite, I would not have made mention to the tables.

Ian

2E0EDX

Sota is a scheme for licenced radio hams, end of, all in the same boat, on a very level playing field, CW, 5 Mhz NOV, up to 400W output on some bands, available to all, you just have to go and get it.

73 Mike

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G3VQO:

While there is no reason that individual Associations could not do so,
they would have to take on board responsibility for the safety
implications of such an award. What appears to be proposed could
encourage hanging about unduly on mountain tops for those elusive s2s
contacts. It could also encourage people to rush to keep s2s skeds.
Tom omitted to mention this important factor - which is to my mind the
key one that precludes the MT introducing such an award.

Richard

In no way attempting to be rude but…

You didn’t bring this safety issue to mind on the sota fun evening when people were encouraged to seek s2s contacts late into the evening, potentially a more dangerous time of day, in fact, you took part Richard.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

…was there an award?

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to GW0DSP:

…was there an award?

Richard

Not the point!! An award is just a piece of paper, no matter what the carrot, an award or fun evening, surely your safety issue should have applied to both?

You quoted the safety, while encouraged to stay for s2s contact regarding the Eagle thing, yet you joined in the fun evening, seemed a bit like double standards, thats all.

vy 73 Mike

In reply to G3VQO:

Hi Les,

My own score is currently 152 points from 33 s2s QSOs <

Just done some stats while having a brew -

2m chaser points:
45 from home, 205 out portable (non-SOTA locations), 215 S2S.

HF chaser points:
212 from home, 36 out portable (non-SOTA locations), 31 S3S.

The only time when I’ve attempted to maximise chaser points for an activation is when I synchronised a day in South Wales (3 summits) with the times set by Richard ERP and Frank RMD. We didn’t make specific skeds, but it worked out okay. Personally I would not want to get any more “contrived” than this kind of arrangement. I can’t say that it affected my personal arrangements in respect of safety and I wasn’t going to either rush or hang around just to grab a few points… but there speaketh the Activator, not the Chaser!

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike

With regards to the Mountain Eagle award, I support this proposal by members whatever band/mode they choose to use. I can’t say fairer than that.

Ian

In reply to M3EDX:

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike

‘Sota is a scheme for licenced radio hams, end of, all in the same
boat, on a very level playing field, CW, 5 Mhz NOV, up to 400W output
on some bands, available to all, you just have to go and get it.’

No arguement with that statement Mike, you are 100% right and hit the
nail on the head. ‘you just have to go out and get it’, presuming you
want it, it then becomes the level playing field you state. I stick by
my original post for the reasons I stated, but all are entitled to
their respected opinions mate.

With regards to the Mountain Eagle award, I support this proposal by
members whatever band/mode they choose to use. I can’t say fairer than
that.

Ian

Ref to “presuming you want it” thats the bit I have a problem with Ian.
If a station doesn’t want it, then they shouldn’t complain about the system. I hope this is coming out right, hi, I’m sure you know what I mean.

At first I said that in my opinion there is no need for Eagle award, I now take that back and democratically go with the majority, who seem to want it.

73 Mike

A strange thing has happened to this topic. When I opened proceedings I was naturally credited as the topic starter in the Reflector list on the home page, but, sometime this afternoon, M3EDX’s callsign has become the topic starter! How did that happen?

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Wow - Ive had a day gardening & Ive missed all this banter :wink: