Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Well its been some time since I’ve done any activating and my visit to G/SP-017 on Xmas Day was a bit of a wash out. Nevertheless the the summit was qualified and this gave me the idea to take a look at the 10m band if it ever stopped raining.

With improved WX this morning, I thought I’d take a wander up to G/SP-013 Gun and give the heavy Antron-99 an airing. To be honest, I was under no Illusion as to what state the track up to the trig point would be like… I wasn’t to be dissapointed :frowning: The track was a mess, a total mud plug. Still, that’s the nature of SOTA during the winter months.

When I reached the hawthorn tree, my boots were pretty much soaked, however, they had done their job and kept my feet dry. With the Antron safely bungeed into the tree, I took a look at the SOTA spots and nicked an s2s on the 20m band with Marco S57MS, before QSYing to the 10m band for a listen.

Quite frankly. there was more life in my Xmas turkey on Boxing Day :frowning:

As I had the Antron-99 in my armoury, I wasn’t going to be deterred, and do, I self spotted and put out a CQ. Within 30 seconds, I received a call from Ex Pat Brian 9J2BO, from Lusaka the capital of Zambia, who was an armchair copy. Brian told me he was originally from Lincolnshire and we had a nice chat, before we wished each other seasons greetings. It’s strange, but I was convinced that I had worked Zambia from a SOTA summit before, however, a search of my SOTA log said it was a new DXCC for me… I persisted for another 40 minutes on the band, however, there was to be no repeat of the Zambia DX. A further 15 contacts were logged, a mixture of Russia and G. The pickings on 10m FM were pretty slim too, producing just one call

From then on it was a mixture of chasing down s2s and working the 20m and 17m bands, which produced some dx into North America.

The forecast for the 10m band looks a bit iffy right now, so I guess we’ll just have to see what 2016 brings.

52 contacts for the activation, seven s2s logged.
Thanks to all the Chasers.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

The mud plug.

2 Likes

Hello Mike,

Well you may have had a miserable time weather wise but I would say worthwhile :wink: 9J is a very good one from home let alone on a rain sodden summit!

I don’t what the bands were like today as a big chunk of the day for me was going to London and back. It sounds like I missed a few - oh well always another day.

Good luck for 2016+

Night night
Mike

From very windy and wet East Sussex 8-(

New Years Day activation of G/CE-004 Bardon Hill, joint with G7LAS, short report.

It was a toss-up whether we activated G/CE-004 Bardon Hill, nearer for Rob, or something in G/SP Association, nearer for me. Bardon Hill it was.

At just 278 metres ASL, in terms of height, this is only a Mickey Mouse summit. However, don’t let this deceive you. The the take-off on both HF and VHF is extremely good and in half decent conditions, it will reward you handsomely. For the SOTA DXer, it can hold a sack full of surprises.

If anyone is planning to activate this summit at the moment, be warned, it’s like a skating rink.

The walk up to the trig point, took much longer than anticipated and as we were carrying a lot of gear, it was hard work for a summit that’s usually a nice steady 30 minute walk.

It was still dark when we got to the trig and had to set up using our head torches. Our first port of call was to be the 20m band and so we bungeed the Antron-99 to the fence, in the hope of finding some DX. After the first 40 minutes, with just 10 EU contacts logged, there was little sign of DX, or anything else for that matter. This gave Rob the opportunity to set-up his 4m station,

The 20m band was proving to be hard work until Itzhak 4Z5TT, called in at 0815z for our second contact in as many activations. Hiroshi JH0INP, who was beaming long path, was next and he was quickly followed by another 7 JA’s. all easy copies, most of them also beaming long path. Talk about feast or famine! It’s not very often I’ve worked Japan on the 20m band from a summit, it’s nearly always 15m, so to nick eight on 20m was a real treat. Dunno if any of them were SOTA chasers, maybe, I’ll take a look later.

Things then livened up on 20m and soon I had 75 contacts logged Once again, the A-99 was in
overdrive. My visit to 10m was to be a much tougher proposition, just half a dozen contacts, the best of it a 3200Km trip into Russia. Great to hear Steve G1INK, John G1STQ and Gez M0NTC on 10m groundwave. I did briefly hear Michael M0MDA, but the trip from Leeds was just a summit too far. My only other contact for the activation, was an s2s on 2m SSB, with Mike G7HEM/P activating Walton Hill.

Thanks to Rob for lending me his rig to make the 2m SSB contact. It’s been far too long since I last made a VHFcontact using SSB. As we were closing down our stations, Peter M1CNL arrived at the summit and we left it to him to have some SOTA fun.

On the decent, both of us had trouble staying on or feet as it was so slippery, then it happened, I went base over apex ending up covered in mud and worse still, cracking the screen on my mobile, which really hacked me off :frowning:

When Rob and myself got back to our cars in Vercor Close, I pulled the 2m handheld out of my jacket and heard Pete M1CNL working the band. We both gave Pete a call, giving him a couple of contacts for his log. .

Thanks to all the chasers…Wonderful days radio.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

1 Like

Tis funny conditions we are experiencing on HF at the moment, The SOTA DX’er needs to be be prepared for just about anything. With a couple of hours to kill this afternoon, I chucked the rucksack and antennas into the car and headed up to G/SP-013 Gun.

As usual, the mud plug to the trig point greeted me. Still, the WX was nice, or at least it was for the first hour, when the temperture dropped sharply. To be honest, I didn’t have a clue which band to start with and so when I turned the rig on and found it tuned to the 20m band… 20m it was.

Well, I wasn’t exactly rushed off my feet with just 22 calls logged in about 55 minutes, There was a bit of DX amongst it, George N1GB with a strong signal, Phillip VE1WT and Robert AC1Z. Things dried up and so I decided to try my luck on 15m. I’ve not worked the 15m band much recently, so it was nice to find it open, with 16 calls into North America soon in my log. In the middle of this, I recieved a call from South Africa SOTA Activator and Chaser Andrew ZS2G, for what looked to be his first “G” chase and Martin A65DC in the UAE.

I did notice on the SOTA spots that Simon GW4TJC/P was calling on the 10m band from GW/NW-019 Yr Aran. Seems poor Simon, was suffering the double whammy of a low battery and no takers, so I was delighted to give him a s2s contact. I know from personal experience, when the 10m band refuses to play ball, it can be the loneliest place on the planet. Thanks for Yr Arran, Simon!

65 contacts for the Activation.

22 on 20m…
42 on 15m
1 on 10m.
19 North Americans logged.

As ever, thanks to all the chasers, from a cold and muddy Gun…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Nope, check my log from yesterday :smile:

Similar to contacts to yesterday Mike. Good going.

Jonathan

1 Like

Thought you were in GW yesterday ?

1 Like

Pretty much the same thing, as the crow flies or is that not specific enough to be a worthy comparison !?

Yes, your right Steve.

Post edited as I didn’t see Steve G1INK had already replied…

I did check Andrews ZS2G SOTA logs before posting, because it was not a ZS call I remember working before, however, he had not logged your contact, so clearly, his logs are not up to date.

On what band did you work Andrew?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Post edited as I didn’t see Steve G1INK had already replied

Look up Mike, I was indeed in Wales. I was pleased to hear him.

ZS2GH was another good contact using 800W to a cubical quad on his end. British expat, had a good rag chew for 10 mins hardly any flat fading experienced.

Jonathan

1 Like

Today, I planned to go to North Wales to do a bit of work, however, this got cancelled and it left me at a loose end. The rucksack was all ready to go and so it was a drive to G/SP-013 Gun. The band predictions above 20m didn’t look too hot, but the dx maps showed maybe half a chance on 10m and 15m. The path to the trig point was as bad as ever but I’ve learned to put up with it.

The Antron-99 was assembled on 15 feet of poles and bungeed into the hawthorn tree. 15m was the first stop and as I tuned along the band, I heard 4S6HCH in Sri Lanka. I tried to get through his pile-up, but found myself hopelessly outgunned by the Europeans. Shame, because 4S isn’t worked everyday on SOTA activations, that’s for sure.

Finding a QRG was fairly easy and my second call in the log was George N1GB followed by a few EU contacts and then out of the blue, Rick 5Z4/M0LEP in Kenya, with some QSB, but a great contact! Thanks for taking the time to call in for the best DX of the activation, Rick.

The contacts continued with Gary K4MF calling in from sunny Florida and of course, Rich N4EX in NC, without who no activation would be complete and SOTA Activator, Kevin AC2KL in NY State.

Things dried up on 15m and so I took a look at the 10m.

Tuning along the band found nothing, however, if there’s anything to be worked on 10m, the A-99 will usually find it. I was spotted on SOTAwatch and withinn 2 minutes, the Chasers were finding me, with the first call a s2s with Paul DL6FBK/P activating DM/RP-437. Nice to work some DX on the 10m band courtesy Kevin AC2KL for our second contact of the activation and Robert AC1Z in New Hampshire. The band went a bit quiet and the Temperature fell, so I took a quick look at the 20m, before going QRT.

My self spot brought a good run of Europeans including Ed DD5LP, with the best DX, Phillip VE1WT. My final call of the day, was Tony SV2ROC.

It was nice to see some DX on 10m, but trust me, the band is still hard work.

Thanks to all the Chasers, 103 contacts logged…

45 on 15m
22 on 10m
36 on 20m

73 Mike
2E0YYY

3 Likes

Great to work you today Mike, now I understand what you were trying to tell me about 15m - sorry I didn’t copy so well, I have some local QRM here (LED Christmas lights I think) and there was also some QSB. That Antron-99 continues to do an amazing job.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

Excellent job. I spoke with Nadika 4S6HCH on 6th December (before a pile up!) on 21.275 (59 X 2) - you must have been late! :wink: today.

You and Rick in Kenya must have been very pleased - two activators/chasers meeting up :sunglasses:

Temp’ now about freezing, no wind, no rain, what will tomorrow bring??

Night night
Mike

1 Like

[quote=“2E0YYY, post:130, topic:11471”]in Kenya, with some QSB[/quote]We got lucky. :slight_smile: 15 metres has been the least unreliable band during the day and early evening, here, this time. I’ve listened for quite a few other SOTA activators while I’ve been on holiday and not heard any of them well enough to work. The only other successful chase I’ve managed was with HB9BIN/P on HB/JU-001 back on 22/12/15, and that happened because he answered my 5Z90IARU CQ call on 10 metres. He’s the only 10 metre contact in the 5Z90IARU log…

73, Rick 5Z4/M0LEP

2 Likes

Well, would you believe it, I took a look out of the window on Thursday morning and for once saw it wasn’t raining. So, I chucked the rucksack and antennas into the car and headed off to G/SP-013 Gun, for a swift activation. By the time I arrived at the parking spot, the sun had done a dissapearing act and there was a stiff wind with a noticeable temperature drop. Ah well, I really don’t suppose one can expect too much else in January. Once again, I made my way along the mud plug to the trig point and chucked the Antron-99 into the hawthorn tree and had a listen to the higher frequencies, finally settling on the 17m band

Unfortunately, the mobile phone decided to die and so was unable to self spot. This meant heading to the 20m bolt hole and hoping that 14.285 was clear. Seems I was in luck and my CQ was answered very swiftly at 1315z by Fanz OE5FSL, who very kindly spotted me…thanks Franz!

The calls were coming in quite quickly, when I recieved a s2s call from Nuno CT2IUV, my first of the day.

Things rumbled along nicely with the North Americans begining to find my log. Strange conditions on 20m with both Mike G6TUH and Don G0RQL making the trip. After this, I found myself in the pile-up from Hell, with every man and his dog calling in. Thirty minutes into the pile-up I heard a big signal from Ted VK6NTE, who eaisly got through. This was the only time the pile-up went quiet.

Then it had to happen …the drizzle started :frowning:

As luck would have it, after five minutes or so the drizzle eased up and I deciced to press on. However, the respite would not last and about 40 minutes later, the rain reared its ugly head again, only this time, I couldn’t be asked to carry on and so went QRT.

Finishing up with 163 contacts in just 90 minutes on the 20m band, including my first VK for some time, made for a pleasant, if somewhat chaotic afternoons radio.

As usual, many thanks to all the callers.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

6 Likes

It was a last minute descision to take a drive up to my local summit G/SP-013 on Tuesday. When I arrived a the parking spot, I was in for a rude awakening. There was a bitterly cold wind blowing over the trig point :frowning:

Setting up the station was a bit of a pantomime, with kit blowing all over the shop. For about the one thousandth time, the Antron-99 was bungeed into the hawthorn tree and just for a change, I tuned up for the 15m band.

My visit to the 15m band was short an not so sweet with the band delivering nothing in the way of DX. However, Geert, signing as EA8/PA7ZEE made the trip from Grand Canaria, before I gave up and QSYd to take a look at the 10m band.

It seems I’d missed the best of the band, but it would be a misguided man who writes off the Antron-99 on 10 Metres. So, I took a look between 28.300 and 28.500 and heard Suhas VU2SMN in India, nicking him on my first shout. Finding a QRG and self spotting on 10m, produced some DX, with Brazil, Puerto Rico, Andrew ZS2G in South Africa, for a new band and Clive 3B8CW from Mauritius, calling in for our third SOTA contact. The FM portion of 10m was utter pants, with just one call logged.

By now the cold wind was getting to me and so I worked a few contacts on the 20m zoo, before wimping out and going QRT

79 contacts for the activation…

42 contacts on 20m
8 contacts on 15m
29 contacts on 10m

Thanks to all the callers

73 Mike
2E0YYY

3 Likes

Well, with the chance of an s2s contact with VK, the temptation was just too great and I got in contact with Rob G7LAS and asked him if he fancied activating his local summit, G/CE-004 Bardon Hill. I wasn’t sure if he would show and with a lot of gear to carry, I made an early start, arriving at Vercor Close at 0610z. I need not have worried as Rob arrived just five minutes later, while I was changing into boots. Normally, Bardon Hill is a doddle of a walk, but in the winter, the track is extremely slippery, as I learned to my cost on New Years Day.

We set up the station on the 20m band, working with the A-99 and were QRV at 0710. To qualify a summit on 20m in just a few minutes, is usually a given, however, not today, With SFI was around 93 and the K index at 3 the band was not in good shape, and it took just over 30 minutes to find four contacts :frowning:

Then at 0745, we received an easy call from Warren ZL2AJ, New Zealands leading SOTA Chaser and Activator, to give him what appears to be his first SOTA UK contacts, with an 18300Km hop. Ernie VK3DET, also gave us a shout, for our first contact for some time. The only other DX worked was Toshi JH1XFR at around 0830. Good to get Phil, G4OBK on Groundwave.

I took a look at the10m band and heard a Namibia station. I think they may have been working split and to be honest, I just couldn’t be asked to put a split freqency into the rig, so I self spotted instead.

Not too much action, just a tad too early I suspect. However, I did make a nice groundwave contact with Mark G0VOF up in Blackburn as well as a few other local contacts. A look at 15m faired not too much better, although, once again, Geert EA8/PA7ZEE working from the Canaries, came to my rescue for the second time inside a week. The only other contact on the band was UR7HDP, before I pulled the plug, to watch Rob working 4 Metres…

An interesting activation, somewhat reminicent of the curates egg…Good in parts.

Just 32 contacts made.

Thanks to all the callers, from a cold windy, Bardon Hill…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

3 Likes

At 9 am this morning, 15 metres was wide open to JA, VK, ZL, PY, LU, VU2, and RA0 … all coming in at the same time!

Half an hour earlier, around 08:30 UTC, I worked ZL1, ZL3 and VK3 on 30m.

Walt (G3NYY)

6 Likes

Is this the end :cry:

I am going to dust off the FT290r for this weekend. The sun has shot its bolt !

Praying for a double peak…

Jonathan

3 Likes

That bright splash near the limb at ~10 o’clock is a substantial sunspot pair. It isn’t finished yet!

(I think 66 is a mistake, spaceweather.com gives 92.)

Brian

They seem to reckon it will rotate in on the 20th of March.

I have come to the conclusion that my Rpi WSPR beacon is going to give me more answers. Openings are less frequent now.

Jonathan