Lifepro4 batt on order

A lucky escape :slight_smile: Most manufacturers quote 2.75V as the “drop dead” discharge voltage for their LiPo cells (though some say 3V).

The discharge curve is very steep at this point so a good idea to aim for 3.3V or so as the cut-off voltage in practice. Also any imbalance between cell capacities is exaggerated at these high levels of discharge, to avoid one cell over-discharging it’s a good idea to use a monitor that checks each cell rather than the whole battery voltage if you insist on dragging every last available mAh out of your LiPo’s…

73 de Paul G4MD

Edit: to bring this closer to the topic title, the equivalent minimum discharge voltage for Lithium-Iron Phosphate cells is usually stated as 2.3V, though some manufacturers recommend 2.5…

Something similar happened to me. Fresh fully re-charged LiFePo4. Left it on the 817 listening to a QRG. Was supposed to have many hours of juice left. Went for a quick snack. Came back, the 817 was off and the battery was bulged. Checked the voltage of the cells and they were all over the place between 0.8v and 2.3v (if I remember correctly) but all below the point of no return. To this day I am not sure what happened, very weird.

So I decided to splash a bit more cash and bought a LiFePo4 with a PCM for peace of mind. No issues so far and I do not have to stare at the voltage of the cells all the time.

Arnaud