Japan joins SOTA

Guess I need to brush up on my Japanese geography and/or language skills! :smile:

Consistency around the world is a pipe-dream. I personally trust the various AMā€™s around the world to achieve consistency within their own domains, so if I see something like ā€œ3730ā€ or ā€œPoint 1234ā€ applied to a few summits as names, I quickly get the idea that the summits in question are unnamed prominences somewhere out in the ā€œback countryā€, that the numbers refer to the summit altitude in some particular set of units, and then itā€™s just a question of figuring out what units these are likely to be. So, USA or GB, it would be feet; Europe, meters; anywhere else, donā€™t know or not sure, but Iā€™ll look it up. Weā€™re radio hams, weā€™re clever people, we can easily figure it out.

But at least with a convention like ā€œ(Point) 3730ā€, the summit has some kind of a name; it doesnā€™t make much sense (at least to a pin-brain like myself) that a summit name be the same as itsā€™ summit code. Iā€™ll admit that I personally have difficulty with codes like ā€œW4C/EM-058ā€, because the characters become somehow mixed up in my head, and I canā€™t easily figure out the order of the characters - itā€™s some kind of dyslexia, I donā€™t know, but I know of others with the same problem. But a name like ā€œMt. Washingtonā€ or ā€œZugspitzā€ or ā€œMt. Fujiā€ or ā€œ3730ā€ is immediately recognizable as a ā€œlivingā€ word, with some kind of internal consistency that holds it together.

Another point that needs to be made is that having summit code equal to name somehow diminishes the amount of information supplied, since one is ā€œexpectingā€ to see a name in the Summit Name field and instead one sees a mirroring of the summit code. One asks oneself ā€œAm I seeing double here?ā€, ā€œIs this a mistake?ā€ ā€¦

Just my $0.02.

Rob

In case youā€™re wondering why no Japanese activity at the moment, Typhoon Chan-hom is approaching. Not the best weather for activating inā€¦

It is also the rainy season in central Honshu, so less people in the mountains. Should get better within the next couple of weeks. After that it gets searing hot and not so many people go hiking.

Nope, itā€™s an SQL query or a perl script at worst to update the non-named summits one way or the other. Thereā€™s a regex for everything :smile:

That argument can be said for using altitude as well - itā€™s also provided information that is then duplicated when you use it as a summit name.

The point is, there is no right or wrong answer, just a bunch of options, none of which are perfect. I happen to prefer the one that leaves altitude and its various measures out. You are welcome to prefer other methods, of course.

I will finish with an example from the JA8 association Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day - one that is name ā€œ1839 mountainā€ (as it translates). It is called that, because it is 1839 metres. Except it isnā€™t now; itā€™s 1842m. Japanese mountain heights change regularly - there was a 2m crustal deformation after the Tohoku earthquake alone, one of the perils of a geologically active environment!

Aahhh, I hadnā€™t envisaged a global change to already-established names or local conventions used or set up by the various Association managers :sunrise_over_mountains:. In that case, consistency around the world is achievable - at least as far as summit names are concerned.

[quote=ā€œVK3ARR, post:45, topic:11112ā€]
The point is, there is no right or wrong answer, just a bunch of options, none of which are perfect.
[/quote]I think weā€™re all well aware of thisā€¦

[quote=ā€œVK3ARR, post:45, topic:11112ā€]
one that is name ā€œ1839 mountainā€ (as it translates). It is called that, because it is 1839 metres. Except it isnā€™t now; itā€™s 1842m.
[/quote]But itsā€™ name is ā€œ1839 mountainā€ - who cares exactly how high it is now or at the time it was named? In any case, the hills and mountains are all subject to being worn down by weathering processes - or hordes of SOTAneers clambering over them with big boots.

As far as I can tell naming summits the same as the reference started in VP8 and has been reapplied in VE2, VK and RU and now JA.
Jim

The first activation almost happened on day one. Hiroki, AH6CY, a retired Harvard professor, arrived in Hiroshima on that day for one of his regular visits to his home town from his San Francisco home. This one time, he left his trekking radios behind due to back pain from gardening (sounds like an Englishman). As I write this, Iā€™m listening to the legendary JA1NUT. The two of them are well acquainted, because they both taught at the University of Hawaiā€™i.

Two years ago, I told N7UN that the early activators in Hawaiā€™i were all going to be visitors for at least a year, and that did come to pass. Could that happen again in Japan?

Elliott, K6EL

ā€¦a good example of a cognitive bias gradually being introduced:

Availability cascade: A self-reinforcing process in which a collective belief gains more and
more plausibility through its increasing repetition in public discourse
(or ā€œrepeat something long enough and it will become trueā€) - Wiki

ā€¦true, or at least acceptable. So, a butterfly flaps itsā€™ wings on the tiny Falkland Islands (VP8), and a storm develops, slowly but inexorably, half-way round the worldā€¦

I can tell the guys have studied the topos very carefully. I realized that when seeing that some of the named peaks were not the highest points on the maps and nearby points without names were indeed higher. The guys correctly identified the correct points on the topos even if they had no names.

I have started putting together a list of peak names missing for JA/NI-xxx. Going through the topos looking for the missing names makes you go mad after a while, and thatā€™s just for Niigata. It gives you a better understanding of how much work the guys have put into thisā€¦ Respect!

Very happy to see SOTA going live in Japan. I was at the kick-off meeting in Tokyo with Andrew, Jun, and Toru, but I had to leave Japan soon afterwards. Iā€™m back in Korea now but Iā€™m looking forward to my next visit and bagging a few summits as JI1ASG.

73!

Andrew

Ok, here is my belated contribution: Missing summit names for JA/NI-xxx where I could get them:

JA/NI-010 Akakurasan
JA/NI-015 Dotsudake
JA/NI-016 Usagidake
JA/NI-018 Akayuyama
JA/NI-021 Nippakuyama
JA/NI-022 Onigatsurayama
JA/NI-025 Daisawayama
JA/NI-026 Amidasan
JA/NI-027 Yogazan
JA/NI-028 *********
JA/NI-029 Hinatakurayama
JA/NI-030 Okenashiyama
JA/NI-031 Nihongiyama
JA/NI-032 Akatsuyama
JA/NI-033 Mikaguradake (it is the high point slightly to the SE of where it is on the map currently)
JA/NI-034 Hirubasan
JA/NI-035 Okabutoyama
JA/NI-041 Aoridake
JA/NI-042 Uriyama
JA/NI-043 Takatsukurayama
JA/NI-045 Omine
JA/NI-046 Kasakurayama
JA/NI-047 Iijisan
JA/NI-048 Nabekurayama
JA/NI-049 ********** (Near Komagatayama)
JA/NI-051 Nihondairasan
JA/NI-052 Karamatsuyama
JA/NI-053 Fudezukayama
JA/NI-054 Kenashiyama
JA/NI-055 Haigatake
JA/NI-056 Tsuzumigakurayama
JA/NI-057 Shigekurayama
JA/NI-058 Bokakeyama
JA/NI-059 ********* (Near Atemayama)
JA/NI-060 Zukinyama
JA/NI-061 Hakusan
JA/NI-062 Yukihatakeyama
JA/NI-063 Kamigongendozan
JA/NI-065 Hishigatake
JA/NI-066 Ishiguroyama
JA/NI-067 Kousagisan
JA/NI-068 Higurayama (peak is slightly to the NW vs. currently on map)
JA/NI-069 Bunagahirayama
JA/NI-070 ********* (near Takakurayama)
JA/NI-071 Tsuchikueyama
JA/NI-072 Kazakurayama
JA/NI-073 Katachiketani
JA/NI-074 *********
JA/NI-075 Suganatake
JA/NI-077 Mandarokuyama
JA/NI-078 Manaitagurayama
JA/NI-079 Fukube
JA/NI-081 Shikamoriyama
JA/NI-082 Yokomatsu
JA/NI-083 *********
JA/NI-084 Budohanayama
JA/NI-085 Nokogiriyama
JA/NI-086 Ogamidake
JA/NI-087 Yuzosan
JA/NI-088 Kareizan
JA/NI-089 Tokakurayama
JA/NI-090 Torigayaho
JA/NI-091 Tokinyama
JA/NI-092 Shirahigeyama
JA/NI-093 Shonyudo
JA/NI-095 *********
JA/NI-096 Shiroyama
JA/NI-097 Kyozukayama
JA/NI-099 Tengaisan
JA/NI-100 Anansawa
JA/NI-101 Gongenyama
JA/NI-102 *********
JA/NI-103 Hotoramine
JA/NI-104 Kasashigeyama
JA/NI-105 Osumiyama
JA/NI-106 Ohira2
JA/NI-107 Mineyama
JA/NI-108 Kanagurayama
JA/NI-109 ********* (Near Ohirayama)
JA/NI-110 Takatsuboyama
JA/NI-111 Kushigata
JA/NI-112 Nipponkoku
JA/NI-113 Nabetachiyama
JA/NI-114 Osawa
JA/NI-115 Higashiyama
JA/NI-116 Takatokoyama
JA/NI-117 Kuroyama
JA/NI-118 Hakamagoshiyama
JA/NI-119 Hachikokusan
JA/NI-120 Sekikawa
JA/NI-121 *********
JA/NI-122 Kirigatake
JA/NI-123 *********
JA/NI-124 Kurosakiyama
JA/NI-125 Eboshidake
JA/NI-126 Yakushi
JA/NI-127 Kakudayama
JA/NI-128 Yane
JA/NI-129 *********
JA/NI-130 *********
JA/NI-131 Hozakayama
JA/NI-132 Sarutsubo
JA/NI-133 Sekiguchi
JA/NI-134 Kogamoda
JA/NI-135 Joyama
JA/NI-136 Shibatoge
JA/NI-137 Sarukedake
JA/NI-138 Kugamiyasan
JA/NI-139 Daisen

Arnaud

Arnaud,

Thanks for that. I will add them in, although updates only happen once a year. Do you have the Kanji too? We submit both for when the tools fully support i18n.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, I do not have the Kanji. I typed all these manually from topo maps I have. Some of them you can actually see when you go to the SOTA mapping tool and zoom in onto the map. Some of them have both the Romanji and Kanji in there such as JA/NI-075 for example: Suganatake and č…åå²³. Other peaks were a lot trickier and I had to use another topo I use when I go hiking but this one only has romanji. So I think a Japanese person from the Japan SOTA team would have to add the Kanjis. The tricky thing as you know is that the kanjis can have different meaning based on the context and their position which is why very often even Japanese people are not sure what the correct pronounciation for the name of places is.

Actually, a fun side-note, they even have a TV show in Japan (not sure if they still have it) where they show kanjis to the contestants and they have to guess the proper pronounciationā€¦ :smile:

Those with ************ are basically peaks for which I could not find the names anywhere sadly. I am not even sure GSI Japanese topos would have names for these.

Arnaud

And the first alert has appearedā€¦

Rushes off to buy bigger database.

4 Likes

Hope it goes well for you Takeshi, and Fuji is an appropriate first activation .
I be listeningā€¦
ian vk5cz

Good luck with your 1st activation Takeshi. It looks like a steep trudge up to Mt Fuji.

Cheers, Nick

:smile:

Ok cool, will be listening. No CW for me so will have to wait for the SSB if any.

Hi all,
Thank you for supporting us to establish of SOTA Japan association, especially Andrew and Guy contributions. Without having their great effort we could not come to this feeling like on top of summits. See you soon mate on air!