Holiday in Tenerife

Oh well, back to plan A :smile:

Rod

Hi Viki,
Currently only UK Full licences are able to operate in other CEPT member countries automatically, simply by prefixing the home call, with the country designator under the TR 16/01 agreement.
It is unlikely that foundation calls will ever be able to use this feature. Some EC countries have a second agreement between them that allow the Novice level (Intermediate level in the UK) licence to operate in a similar way in the countries who are part of that (EC 05/06) agreement. The UK is not currently a member of that agreement however under the changes to the requirements announced in the last couple of weeks, if OFCOM wish to, they may be able to implement changes that would allow the UK to join.
There are less countries signed up to the EC 05/06 agreement than the TR 16/01 agreement however there is also now a push to have more countries worldwide (not just Europe) to join either of the agreements. The main change is that the authority in the country applying now validates it’s conformity to the requirements, not that the CEPT has to check every application, this should speed up the process of new countries joining the agreements.

There is always the possibility outside of these agreements to apply for a reciprocal licence independantly with the authority in the country you wish to visit. I have heard of countries who have an entry level (foundation) licence allowing entry level amateurs from other countries to operate under a call sign issued in that country and under the local restrictions of course. These applications are usually for people who intend to move to the other country to live for an extended amount of time but short term (holiday) licences are also sometimes available.

Hence you do have the option of approaching the Spanish authorities to see if they can issue you a temporary licence. This application will incur a charge and should be applied for well in advance of the intended dates you would be in Spain. It looks like you might have to take their exam (in Spanish) however…
http://www.fediea.org/hamradio/inspain/

73 Ed.

Or with the amount of radio knowledge and experience you will now have through being highly active in the hobby, you’ll probably be able to polish off the Intermediate AND the Full inside six months.

Then the world is your oyster!

Back to the matter in hand.

Jimmy now calling away on 14.312 ssb, no takers yet.

Only ever one QSO with this summit in SOTA history to date; hoping to make that a few more today!

1 Like

Hi Tom, Sorry can’t hear Jimmy at the moment - perhaps better skip back to the UK.

73 Ed DD5LP

20m is generally fairly quiet here and nothing heard on 14.312. I think it will need stations with beams to crack this one.

Hope you manage to qualify the summit.

73, Gerald G4OIG

hi Tom, nothing here in York from Jimmy.

We’re up and running. Thanks to Lars SA4BLM. One down, 3 to go. Then I can have a turn… :wink:

Sorry, nothing heard in VK1

Matt
VK1MA

Hi Tom, nothing heard in West Wales. Allan GW4VPX

Thanks everyone who is trying. DL8DXL good signal here but disappeared.

Been listening here in Edinburgh; so far not a whisper!
Jimmy, if calling CQ please, stay on one known frequency so that the chasers know where you might come out of the noise level;
Just my ta’pence worth
Good Luck
Ken

Conditions are cruel this past week
Still listening for you. this morning bit ANNOYING got that damn buzzing noise at S5 and yet sorted with the NB button doing its Job and still got S3 noise level.Can also hear Don calling you.

Perhaps you ought to try later in day or late afternoon/ evening but check the set sets first as noticed bands of late poor till after 9am UTC and pick up about mid day even more.

Don’t panic the chasers are there, just your signals not making it at moment due to recent solar events.

Karl

Had to jump around to avoid QRM Ken. Will now be clg om 14.327 for a while.

Just wondering whether it is worth you doing your session on the key Tom to see what propagation there is. It would give Jimmy’s voice a rest as well… :wink: You’ll have to get him to learn morse.

Nearly there!

G0VWP 58 sent, 44 rxd
HB9MKV 58 sent, 55 rxd

Thanks guys, Jimmy still clg on 14.327 looking for the 4th QSO. Would rather not risk Operation Code FMF as the summit is full of installations (and power lines) giving 59 of mush across VHF / UHF.

…and as I type this, Ken GM0AXY has provided it - 58 / 32. Jimmy is ecstatic. Now we can have our breakfast - and I can have a turn on the radio!

Sorry this is M1EYP on Jimmy’s phone. Monitoring 14.327 while eating our breakfast on summit.

Hope you enjoy b/fast Tom and it was well worth monitoring the Freq to get the contact.

1 Like

The huge length of chorizo, divided into two pieces, proved a satisfying breakfast on the summit. Jefficient fastercontacts in around an hour today - still slow going and demanding disciplined patience - yet a significant improvement on Thursday’s activation.

After breakfast, I rattled off 14 QSOs in 17 minutes for my own activation. I wonder if CW is more efficient? :wink:

Back at the poolside, beer in hand. Lovely stuff.

1 Like

Publishing the reports “in” and “out” on this forum is just as bad as a third party relaying reports on the operating frequency.

Please don’t do it!

Walt (G3NYY)