Holes in the database!

In reply to G4OIG:
My 4th QSO came in at 13:41z with my first at 13:39z Gerald, so I guess this makes me the 2nd station to qualify Ailsa Craig…a close run thing and I just assumed that Jimmy deservedly having made the first QSO, was the first to activate. As Jimmy was the youngest memebr and had done virtually all the work to organise the trip we all felt he should have been the first one to qualify it, but at the time we never picked up on the 4 QSOs situation.

I think my watch was correct…

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil,

“I just assumed that Jimmy deservedly having made the first QSO, was the first to activate.”

The database shows that Robert was in QSO ten minutes before Jimmy - maybe there is a typo in Robert’s log if Jimmy was indeed the first to be in QSO. For Jimmy to be recorded as the first activator, the earliest time in the other logs would need to be recorded as 13:31. The database obviously doesn’t split into seconds.

I’m actually surprised Jimmy wasn’t on his way down before the rest of you made the summit!

73, Gerald

Well I was the first on the summit but it takes longer to set up an HF dipole that it does to remove a handheld from your belt!

Jimmy was first on the air before Robert had set up so the database needs correcting.

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Phil/ Jimmy etc

I was so keen to get on I didnt note the time and then guessed when I got back, Jimmy would have told me of course, didnt think. Just to confirm Jimmy was on first by at least 10 minutes, ive mucked it up. Normally it doesnt matter so much because I lone operate.
Dont know how to change it but if it can be chnaged please do, I will have a look myself. I have no interest in being first!
Sorry everyone, lazy op. caught out.
Robert
GM4GUF

In reply to GM4GUF:
Hi Robert

I worked you on 144Mhz at 1500 UTC and your log shows 1430, if that helps

• add 30 mins to all QSO’s ? this makes your first QSO at 1350 while Jimmy’s was at 1330 - sorted ??

thanks for the QSO

73 Graham

Hi Robert,

The way to edit an entered activation log is as follows:

(Well, it’s the best way I can find of doing it, there may be a slicker method).

1. Log on the SOTA Database and bring up “My Activator Log”

2. At the bottom of the page, click ‘Save to File’, then click ‘Open’

3. On the XL sheet that comes up, you need to delete all the rows that are NOT the activation you want to edit. So highlight all the rows from row 1 down to the one before your activation you want to edit starts (and any activations after it).

4. Right-click on the highlighted area and select ‘Delete’. You should now have just the QSO lines from the activation in question.

5. Edit any mistakes for the activation.

6. Go to ‘File’, ‘Save As’ and choose a filename.

7. Back to the Database, and your Activator Log page. Select ‘Delete’ at the end of the activation you have just edited.

8. On the Database, click on the ‘Submit log’ menu, then ‘Import Activator TSV/CSV’.

9. Use the ‘Browse’ window to select the file you have just created for the activation, and upload it.

Cheers,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks Tom and Graham, corrected my activation, sorted. At least I input my activation quickly this time… even if it was rubbish:)
Robert GM4GUF
PS off on my walk to Tinto again soon with the handheld to get drowned and blown off the top.

In reply to M1EYP:

Not being too prolific an activator, I have always used the online method of entering my activation logs, usually within a few days of the activation itself, but only after entering them in my good “old fashioned” paper logbook :wink:

I have not, until last weekend entered a log for any of my chaser contacts. This has been on my “to do” list for quite some time & last weekend I actually made a start at entering my chaser QSO’s. On looking back through my logbooks, they at once made me realise how much more active I am now than I was 10 years ago.

The first QSO I have in my main station log for SOTA was with Shirley M0YLS/P on G/NP-004 Whernside on 24th April 2004. I know I have worked other activators when I have been /M & not able to make a note of the contact, but Shirley was the first to make it into my main log so I feel it is only appropriate for her to be contact number one in my chaser log.

I started entering my QSO’s one at a time using the online method, & quickly realised that it would be a very long & laborious process to enter all my chaser QSO’s since 2004. I can quite easily generate a CSV or TSV file in the format required but I have one question.

Does the CSV / TSV file I upload need to have column headers on the first row, with data on the rows underneath, or does the file need to contain data only, with no headers on the first row?

Also, if headers are required, must they be exactly the same as the ones quoted on the CSV/TSV help page (i.e Case sensitive, word sensitive)?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Enter a few QSOs into the database then download the CSV file. That will give you examples of how the data looks. Just add the rest of the QSOs using the same style.

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks Andy, I had thought of doing that earlier & it did seem the easiest method, certainly after reading Toms post, but I thought I’d ask in case there may be any other chasers out there in a similar position to me.

It is certainly easier editing a log file in excel than uploading each QSO individually & then starting again for the next one, although I can see the logic behind that system.

I don’t think any of the leading chasers need be worried that I may suddenly appear above them in the chaser table, as I have very limited time to play radio, but I am certainly going to appear somewhere, as opposed to nowhere, which is where I was up until last weekend :wink:

Thanks & 73,

Mark G0VOF

Thanks for all the advice, I have now uploaded my chaser log & after many problems with one particular date, the file was accepted.

To my surprise I now have 731 points & have worked 133 uniques, which is a lot more than I thought I would have. It seems there may be a couple of certificates I can claim :slight_smile:

Thanks to all activators I have worked, I will try to keep my chaser log up to date from now on.

Thanks & 73,

Mark G0VOF