HF amplifiers, antennas, batteries and more

In reply to MW6AQU:
Hi Gerald - this looks a ‘dupe’. I answered you questions a couple of posts back up the thread?

Cheers agn

(;>J

In reply to GM4COX:

LDE? :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Someone pressing refresh (F5 whatever) and not realising what the message about resending previous data actually means.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

If you have an 817 the improvements in order in my view would be

1. learn enough (*) Morse to have SOTA QSOs
  2. make a better antenna
  3. add an outboard speech processor

Seconded. I did a comparison between the PRC-320 (which has a superb speech processor) on low power - 3W - and the FT-817 on 5W when I was considering the One Big Punch. The sound wasn’t so much extra power as extra intelligibility - I should have recorded it and put it on youtube.

The same also applies to your PSD calc - it’s far easier copying CW than it is voice, particularly at more QRS speeds, when they’re both in the noise floor.

In reply to 2W0NNN:

In reply to MM0FMF:

If you have an 817 the improvements in order in my view would be
3. add an outboard speech processor

The little outboard speech processor kit from Funk Amateur is inexpensive and seems to work quite well:

Barry N1EU

Someone pressing refresh (F5 whatever) and not realising what the
message about resending previous data actually means.

Sort of correct, I know what the message means… I didn’t read it though - sorry.

Thanks Jack thought it might be that reason why you carried both.

Gerald
2W0GDA

Another reason to carry a handheld with APRS is that you can be tracked online and self-spot over APRS.

By the way, talking about amplifiers for the FT-817, there’s a kit from a couple of Finnish amateurs called the JUMA PA-100. It looks well engineered, though I’m an engineer I’m not an RF engineer so I wouldn’t know for sure. It’s neither cheap nor light though, so it might be something for those of us who want to chase and activate with the same radio but use an amp at home.

Finally, on the reception side I have to bring attention to the “IF shift” feature on the FT-817. I had forgotten about that feature, and I’ve been only using the “clarifier” (i.e. RIT fine-tune offset) until now. Even without installing any mechanical filters or DSP in my FT-817, without having used the IF shift I wouldn’t have heard DL1DLF this weekend so it has some use. (The splatter was above him, but not below him.)

In reply to N1EU:
I agree with you Barry. It’s 34 Euros delivered and weighs 10 grammes. On air reports are favourable and it’s a must to turn it on for a 2m ssb contact from Wales with Don G0RQL! Not weather proof like the 817 either.
Check out the Dave Sargent G3YMC translation of the construction article (approximate, enough to get the idea) at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15047843/FT-8x7.doc
Factory settings seem OK straightaway until I get my oscilloscope going [surplus disposal from work and over 40 years old so re-forming capacitors etc is part of the plan]
A good buy overall and ought to be popular with SOTA activators.
73 David M0YDH

In reply to M0YDH:

Factory settings seem OK straightaway until I get my oscilloscope
going [surplus disposal from work and over 40 years old so re-forming
capacitors etc is part of the plan]

Yes, it works quite well. I did use my oscilloscope to set the internal gain control after consulting the datasheet of the audio processor chip that is used.

I just wish the KX3 mic bias was more than 3V so that I could use the DYC-8x7 processor (and MH-31 mic) with it as well.

Barry N1EU