GM Expedition

Hi All

Safely home and the aftermath more or less dealt with…

Many thanks to all who worked us, spotted us, assisted with QSY’s and setting up s2s’s etc. Hope the flexible format didn’t cause too much trouble, it certainly worked for us, allowing us to deal with restricted access, weather and fitness issues without too much compromise to our initial targets.

Despite the mixed radio conditions, it was a spectacular week with many high points. Although we only achieved four of the planned 8 activations of previously unactivated summits, we did manage the 14 summits in seven days to which we aspired in the planning stages.

Only one low point really, and that was the poor behaviour of one or more non-SOTA operators towards the end of my operation on 5.3985 MHz from SS-251 on the last day :frowning:

Now on with planning the next outing. Watch this space :smiley:

73 de Paul G4MD

Well it’s a 3hr or 3hr 30 drive for me so unless I’m in the area I wont be making a special trip for it! :wink:

I don’t doubt my quattro would have any real problems but it does have the lowered and stiffened sports suspension. They shouldn’t let people my age have that option unless you have had your spleen removed first as it’s a bit firm. In fact the only way to travel on farm tracks like today with the raised centres and pot holes is to put it in 1st and let it move on the tickover throttle. That way the crashes and bangs are bearable. But it does look naff as you mince up the track so slowly. :slight_smile:

I think overall your WX was better than mine. Had I had no showers/rain I would have been up early and not spent ages having multi-course breakfasts. I had a number of dual activations days planned. In the end I got 3 uniques and a lot of scouting done. for the next trip. It’s probably easier for you guys to stay multi-activation motivated as you have to travel so far whereas I’ve got 1136 summits in a 150mile radius so there’s probably 900 uniques there.

The important thing is you and him and me had a good time on our trips. Money well spent!

If nobody else wants it I’ll be happy to do it next time I’m passing!

Undoubtedly Andy - we were extremely lucky, even on the wet days it managed to rain to our itinerary :wink:

Absolutely! Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Cant wait to come back whatever the weather :smile:

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi Andy - just a brief note to say that the track to SS-188 has sections which I would have driven quite happily at a speed considerably higher than the recommended limit of 15 mph, but others had large stones littered across the surface which could do some damage, even to a vehicle like mine with a reasonable ground clearance. It is marginal whether the Forestry Commission should have the track open for public use, but driven sensibly most normal road vehicles should get through okay.

I totally agree with Paul’s summing up of the expedition - excellent and we have a sun tan to prove it… and lots of midge bites as we didn’t apply the Skin So Soft quickly enough!

73, Gerald G4OIG

A good 2 pointer just of A9 with an excellent track to the summit GM/CS-096 (Carn na h-Easgainn), travelling to Mount Eagle today for some upgrade work on the site over the next few days I had a few hours to spare.
I decided to activate GM/CS-096 rather than Meall Mor across the way. Aprox 1 hour to summit from the car only radio I had was the TS480 bit of a dead weight in the pack, only managed the seven QSOs but still an enjoyable trek.
Weather was nice with great views in all directions, it was a bit exposed to the wind and soon had to search for the woolly hat.
Hopefully if I have time after work I will activate Mount Eagle, would I be within the activation zone if I am 70m up on the transmission tower.

Graeme
M0OAT

Hi Graeme

We had that one on the “reserve” list. Looked to be a very handy summit, wonder if you parked OK at the end of the public road at Lynebeg? Appeared to be possible on Streetview but you can’t always be sure…

Would be good to work you from Mount Eagle for the complete! Not sure which tower you’re on - the guyed mast by the road is out of the AZ, but the three lattice towers at the top are all OK though I suppose to keep within the strict interpretation of the 25m rule you’d have to climb down the tower a bit :wink:

73 de Paul G4MD

Filed away for future reference, but I already have shack fever… Unfortunately I just missed Graeme yesterday. :frowning:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Bit of a long day today at work, I will try to activate Mount Eagle tomorrow three times I have been up to this site and all have ended late at night due to the usual software problems.

I live in hope

Hi Graeme,

Good luck tomorrow. Just hoping if you manage to get on I can do likewise :-s

73 de Paul G4MD

I parked by the two houses at the cattle grid, there was a parking area for 4 cars.
Think the turn off to Lynemore was 1.3 miles after lay by 162, you go under the bridge follow the road round to the cattle grid.

Thanks Graeme, don’t recall a bridge but I’m sure we’re on the same page!

Catch you later?

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi Paul

You are correct that’s why I shy away from route suggestions photo below of my imaginary bridge and screen shot of the map

Route suggestions are always useful Graeme. You don’t have to believe every word that is written. After a while you come to know who to trust. The reports by Squiz on Scottish Hills have been particularly useful for noting the key points such as where to park, ground conditions, etc.

Many thanks for the contact this evening. I’m not sure whether Paul called in as I didn’t monitor all of your activation. I trust the flies and midges were a little less concentrated than when Paul and I activated the summit a week ago.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hi Graeme

Thanks for that. Sometimes a bit of “selective interpretation” comes in useful :wink: But the information is of value nevertheless!

Sorry I missed you today, could hear you 28 - 38 (S8 = local noise level) but never good enough to call :frowning:

73 de Paul G4MD

Thanks for the contact today Gerald some nice QSOs on forty surprising though with the noise on the band. I was a bit short on time due to work and is always nice to have the chance on my travels to squeeze in an activation.

Setup was a TS480 nice sound from the speaker on the remote head unit and the main body in the rucksack, wish they made a smaller version along the lines of the ft817.

No bother Paul on the info sorry we weren’t able to complete your Mount Eagle for the log, may be a chance again later in the year.

Graeme