General Rules review and update

In reply to G4OIG:

It seems that most discussions about the future of SOTA are really about the increase in numbers of activators. What of the chasers? Increases in the number of chasers in an area are not directly related to the number of hills in that area; although it is possible that an interest might be sparked by a strong local activation it is as likely that answering a weak CQ from a distant activation will do the trick. Then there are the LF band activations where at times the local activations might be inaudible, and as the sun climbs into cycle 24 I expect DX activations on the HF bands will increase - and there local(ish) activations will rarely be heard.

Few will go straight from their first encounter with SOTA to their first activation, they will chase for a time, first. Many will only chase, there are more chasers than activators. And touching on the recent discussion above, my impression is that there is rather a shortage of chasers in the home counties.
On the other hand there are some very strong climbing and rambling clubs in that area (despite the long trips to the hills) so I would say that there is considerable untapped potential there.

My point is that you will see more of an expansion in activations from the flatlands by concentrating on numbers of chasers than you will by increasing the number of summits, although I believe that more summits will lead to a more rapid expansion of the efforts of new activators as they cut their teeth on easy hills. The question is how do you get more chasers? A good job has been done in publicising SOTA in PW, Radcom and some rallies, but many hams don’t buy PW, and the exposure of Radcom has dropped since the RSGB stopped sending copies to clubs, and most hams don’t go to the rallies that feature SOTA. So we have to find ways to bring SOTA to the average ham in the more populous areas.

Any ideas?

Brian G8ADD

An interesting point about the rallies Brian. Indeed, Norbreck and Llandudno are (probably) not that well attended by amateurs from the South of England. And that is where we have the main SOTA stands. However, for the first time, we displayed at Donnington, in September. The lack of interest and ‘quietness’ around the SOTA stand throughout the day was quite a surprise when compared to the non-stop busy stand every time in Blackpool - and yet was a much bigger show.

I think ultimately, the main enthusiasm for SOTA will be where the hills are, both for chasers and activators, and with or without HuMPs. It must intrinsically give one more interest in hills when one sees them every time one looks out of one’s windows!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom, the point about the environment is that P100 summits tend to cluster more than P150, so while there will be as many outings by activators, they will tend to do more in one area without commuting long distances by road from summit to summit. The carbon footprint is lower if an activator drives to an area and then does a hill walk encompassing two, three or four SOTA summits than if he/she does a number of summits with drives between them. The wear and tear on the car and the roads is less, too, and the outdoor experience is enhanced.

I have never understood this suggestion that it will be easier to get MG. It seems to me that the numbers of activations will only increase away from the more hilly areas, and the new summits there will probably only offer one point each. In areas like the LD there will be some nice high scoring summits available, but it takes as long to walk from summit to summit as it takes to drive on the tortuous and crowded LD roads so I don’t think there will be much change in scoring rates there.

This is just me, I know, but I have no intention of trying to complete any area, I would rather do an interesting hill more than once than devote effort to some glorified slagheap!

Brian G8ADD

Hi All

I’m just catching up on long threads from the weekend and now I feel it is time to put my feelings forward.

I have never been an advocate of changing “rules” or “criteria” just for the sake of it (or because of constant pressure from a vocal minority). However, I have given much thought to the topic of “Humps or not?”

Generally I say… yes please in G land.

I have personal motivations and also wider SOTA motivations for the points below.

Let me get the personal points out of the way first. (I would imagine these will resonate with others too)

I love to chase summits when I can but I have relatively little time to do it. i.e. I am at work and/or travelling during the week and thus weekends are very busy family times. I might be able to chase a summit or two in-between the other activities but it’s not the priority.

One thing that affects us “flatlanders" is the more limited number of potential activators that can be worked at a given time. It is plainly obvious that those that live within striking (yagi) distance of NW, Pennines, LD, borders etc not only have a chance at all the HF activations from all over EU, they also have greater opportunity to chase more “local” activators. Hence some of the 100 plus chasing point days I hear about (I wish). I don’t get this chance and thus Shack Sloth is still a stretch for me.

Actually most of my chasing is, not surprisingly, EU summits on 40M CW…

Maybe having more (low) summits in the south would generate a few more chasing opportunities… although I don’t know that would be the case I would like to test the hypothesis.

Also, when I look at my activations and fitting in with other commitments, I can usually only grab and hour or two at weekends to activate. This means that CE-005 is my only opportunity to give something back to the programme. I would love to do more although I cannot afford the time to travel to other “denser” summit areas.

I don’t ever expect to make MG status (maybe when I’m retired in many years) but at least I could get on the air and give a few points out either “locally” or through EU. This is not about MG for me!

Now on the subject of the wider benefits for SOTA… when I did a few VHF only activations from CE-005 in my “early activating days” and before my ability to alert and/or self spot, I found that most of the QSO’s I had were with people who didn’t really know SOTA but were interested. I spent time chatting about it and gave them the URL etc and off they went… a new chaser?.. maybe but at least it’s another potential.

This goes to Brian’s question… I know from my own work life that building awareness in an activity or a product (if you want to call SOTA that) needs many things. Brian mentions the more overt communication tools like magazines, rallies, club meetings etc. However some of the most effective communication comes from basic “guerrilla” marketing activity… i.e. being on the air and spreading the word. Adding more southern summits (Humps) offers more “guerrilla” potential.

My final point relates to the potential deletion of summits in any association. I have great sympathy with the chasers and activators who might be affected. However, most of the most heated discussions over the past months have been related to anomalies and inconsistencies. It seems that if we swallow the “bitter pill” now and deal with these anomalies, we will most likely never have such a vociferous, and at times unpleasant, discussion again. I hope we all can accept the consequences of the clarifications and move on.

After all this is not a competitive (recently verging on the combative) activity and it’s only a hobby! …and many people involved (MT, AM’s etc) are working hard for us with little or no reward.

So… I’m looking forward to working you all even more as a chaser and/or an activator.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G8ADD and M1EYP:

Hi Brian and Tom,

Interesting points from you both. The only issue that I don’t really agree with is that chasing is an activity that precedes activations. For me anyway the converse is true. I am and have always been a “reluctant” chaser, most of my chases being either S2S or specific chases to support people like John GW4BVE, Richard G4ERP and Frank G3RMD.

I don’t know how you would concentrate on increasing the number of chasers anyway. I get the feeling that speaking about SOTA at a club meeting in the south / south-east would largely fall on deaf ears…“what’s that to do with us, we don’t have any summits around here”. Okay we can’t move Blencathra to Sussex, but an improvement in the number of summits can only help the situation.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I get the feeling that speaking about SOTA at a club
meeting in the south / south-east would largely fall on deaf
ears…“what’s that to do with us, we don’t have any summits
around here”.

Exactly the point in my post Gerald. Make the message relevant to your audience and then support it with a wider, so called, “guerilla” activity!

73 Marc G0AZS