Finally

Well done Karl. You’ve certainly got well into this SOTA business! Now time for a bit more activating perhaps? It’s MUCH more fun than chasing :wink:

…only on a Novice licence.

You mean a Foundation licence? The Intermediate (2E0) licence is the one deemed equivalent to the old “Novice” licence.

Hi Karl, well deserved comments.
In real terms - SSB - your 10w is more like 6-8w PEP, subject to antenna so!
Best not fiddle around with antennas for awhile in case you screw things up!
Now off to stack some logs before it is gets dark.
Night night.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Did you mean to say ERP rather than PEP?

In the case of the full wave loop that both Karl and I use, it has about 2db gain over a dipole, so I would say Karl probably has about 15w ERP. Still low power in any case.

73 Ed.

Morning Ed,
Peak envelope power.
My 5KA has a 100w rated PA but on SSB it would never reach that, if I tried to on SSB I would enter distortion land.
Cheers
Mike

Nice one Karl, very well done reaching 10K chaser points.

Your 10w is always a good signal on 40m in Leeds.

73 de Mick M0MDA

I’m going to pull up a chair and get some popcorn… these explanations of PEP have been entertaining so far. I hope there’ll be more :wink:

4 Likes

Now always thought QRP is 5w for CW and 10w for SSB leaving the TX and not the Antenna. PEP am I correct here, just looked it up on wiky

And use the antenna for the gain depending on antenna. Not sure but as higher go up band on me loop the slight more gain I get because of the wave is getting bigger.
Plus using only 7.7 RG6 makes much loss as its feed straight into the ACU.

End of day its not always about power beams etc, its about getting the timing right conditions in your favour. Tactics I have developed over past 18 months. And hopefully well get out on few more summits in 2016 as did rather enjoy me first one twice on G/DC-003.

Now when we first got our M3,s few years ago, yes it was the foundation licence and commonly known as novice licence holders when the M3 call was first issued.

Karl

How’s the popcorn going Andy?

Mike, my understanding of PEP is that it will normally be more than RMS output of the finals of a rig or an amplifier. Assuming the finals/amplifier are running in a linear mode (i.e. not class C, used for for example FM) there should be no distortion unless overdriven. The output of a rig or amplifier may be rated at 100w on say CW and FM but it should be capable of probably 150-160w PEP on SSB. The problem sometimes is that without a true PEP power meter (often expensive) the average power/SWR meter movement may only show 70 or 80w visibly, simply because it can’t move fast enough to show peaks.

As a “rule of thumb” a correctly set up rig will be capable of around 60% more PEAK power when looking at PEP (PEAK envelope power) compared to an RMS mode such as CW or FM.

A little off topic but the times where a rig should be set to put out less than it’s maximum power would be modes with a high usage load such as RTTY or the digital modes PSK31, JT65 etc. and also nowadays FreeDV digital voice. In these cases it is recommended to run the output at about a third of the rated RMS output power of the rig or amplifier if you don’t wish to burn out the finals!

I’m sure that I haven’t explianed this 100% correctly but I hope this is pretty right in lay mans terms.

73 Ed.

Nope. Unrelated, because You have not inferred anything about operation class.

Now when we first got our M3,s few years ago, yes it was the foundation licence and commonly known as novice licence holders when the M3 call was first issued.

No, you are mistaken Karl. The M3 / Foundation was never known as a “Novice” licence. The old Novice licence had 2E0 / 2E1 calls, and these became Intermediate licences when the Intermediate came in. If the Foundation licence was ever “commonly known” as a Novice licence, then it was by a local community of amateurs, and mistakenly so.

The Foundation licence has never been = a Novice licence.

Hi Johnathon,
I have stated earlier “Assuming the finals/amplifier are running in a linear mode (i.e. not class C”, (inference class A or AB) - or is the operation class you refer to something else - as I said, I expected comments about details as I only took the simple approach in my description (as I don’t feel qualified to do otherwise).

Andy - already on the second bag of popcorn yet HI

73 Ed.

I’m waiting for some comedian to use the phrase “RMS power”.

1 Like

Interesting we were informed of this when we took ours back in 2003.

But they then classed since the three tier licence came out as foundation as the new novice/ beginners and the intermediate became the more advanced with its various allowances of licence restrictions on the lower two and of course on full licences, full allowances.

As back in day before this the novice was the B licence holder again with certain restricted allowances not under 30mhz was the novice.

So how can you call a intermediate licence holder a novice when there not new to the scene in this case ham radio. But now experienced In what they do and taken the next step.

:slight_smile: Karl

Karl

Trust me there was certainly nothing ‘Novice’ about the Class B Licence - 2/3 hour City and Guilds Exam!!. I do however, know where you are coming from

73 Glyn

3 Likes

Leave the B licence out of this, it was never a “novice” licence! It appeared in the summer of 1964, mine was issued in the September of that year. It required the full RAE, at that time written, not multiple choice, and the lowest frequency band that it was valid for at the time was 432 MHz. At that time there was no amateur equipment for that band (Tom Withers took about a year to come out with some commercial gear) so to get on the air you had to build your own gear. It was essentially an experimenters licence. I can tell you that it was not a piece of cake getting on the air, it took me nearly six months!

I fail to understand Tom’s point: as the FL is the introductory grade of licence it must by definition be the licence for novices. The fact that there had been an earlier novice licence which is now equivalent to the IL does not change that. The IL is no longer a novice licence.

Brian

1 Like

Hmm

Sometimes people call me on a summit and they are using Music power. The callsign is music to my ears.

:wink:

vk1da/2uh

1 Like

Class B licence had the same basic requirement as the Class A (the City & Guilds of London Institute Radio Amateurs exam, covering both technical and regulatory questions - and no multiple choice questions as far as I remember). The Class A required the CW test in addition to be passed (12 WPM if I remember correctly in 1974). Class B only 2 metres and up, Class A also all HF and 4 metres as well. At the time I got my licence no off-the-shelf gear built for amateurs, or if there was it was priced out of reach. A good ex Taxi PYE AM mobile or 19" rack mounted base station was the go for 2 metres after conversion. For 70cm build your own “tripler” for the TX side and possibly buy a Microwave modules receive convertor for receive. Use something like an ex-military AR88D on 28 MHz with the receive convertor for 2 or 70 cm. Call on whichever frequency you had a crystal for and then tune the whole band hoping for a contact.
Interesting (and fun) times.

Novice licence is what they had in the states at the time. The work required to get the Class B licence in the UK was far more expansive than any Novice licence. Of course as we know, once the requirement of being able to send nd receive Morse code was removed, those with a Class B licence became full licence holders, which reflects on the fact that the same level of technical and regulations knowledge was required for both Class A and B licences.

Ed.

Therefore a Class B licence is the equivalent of a Full Licence today. (Ex G8FHU)

In his original post, Karl did not refer to a “novice licence”, but the “Novice licence”. Either way, and even though the use is now historical, the word “novice” refers to a different level of licence to that held by Karl.

Perhaps a different generic adjective like “beginner” or “entry-level” would have been more appropriate than a word with a specific definition in the history of licensing.

1 Like

First of all well done Karl, an outstanding achievement. As Tom @M1EYP said you need to get into activating more summits, now that really is addictive!

I’ll be down on your local summit of Kit Hill just after Christmas as we’re visiting family in Torquay for Christmas and then staying in a cottage on the West side of Dartmoor. Hope to get you in the log.

On the subject of licenses, I’m an M0, so in theory “advanced” but really more of a “novice” in terms of operating experience. Licensed since 2013 means most M6’s have more on air experience than me. Essentially these are all labels that don’t really mean much as long as you’re getting on the air and having fun :smile:

73 James

4 Likes