CW on 60m

Bizarrely 60m and CW never computed until recently. Of course Paul took on the 60m duties when we teamed up back in 2008 and he has used SSB exclusively. Even when we activated the Orkney summits and shared the lower bands between us, I never considered CW on 60m.

73, Gerald G4OIG

They were not. I have my original NoV in front of me. The NoV only ever specified frequency bands in MHz. There were originally seven of them, each 3 kHz wide. The only mention of channels with 2-letter names was in an RSGB Spectrum Forum document “Operating Procedures 5 MHz doc.02”. The Licensee was “invited, on a voluntary basis” to comply with these procedures, but they were not mandatory.

Walt (G3NYY)

No, originally there were five channels - plus two, one each on the flanking bands as part of the experiment but not needing an NoV.

Yes, you are right … if you go back to 2002.

“This research commenced in August 2002 with the allocation of five 3 kHz-wide channels, which by mid-2006 had been increased to seven”.

I must admit I didn’t get involved until 2006.

I don’t know what you mean by “the flanking bands”, though. Are you saying there were two frequencies on which one could transmit without an NoV?

Walt (G3NYY)

If we are invoking pedantry, I think “Channel” is the accurate descriptor for communications. A stable sine wave might be be referred to by its frequency, but once you start modulating it and generating sidebands (which includes switching it on and off to send Morse Code), then you are occupying a band of frequencies defined as a channel.

The current haggle is about how that channel should be described…

Adrian
G4AZS

FE ?
That works for me. Oh… hang on!

1 Like

I’ll be looking for an S2S then. Long range forecast looks “challenging”…

My first NoV was issued on 10-01-2005 with five channels, it was initially intended to expire on 31-07-2006 but was extended. It was re-issued on 01-08-2006 with seven channels, expiring on 30-06-2010. A third NoV was issued on 19-08-2010 with seven channels, expiring on 30-06-2015. I don’t understand the 2002 reference as IIRC the Americans were the first to get permission to use the band, in 2003, but perhaps there was some limited work carried out before the first tranch of NoVs for the experiment.

I can’t find my paperwork now, but there were channels designated on 80 and 40 metres for use in conjunction with the original “fox” channels on sixty, these are what I meant by the “flanking Channels”. The only times I heard them in use, they were being used to time the closing of NIVS on the various channels, a net starting on 80 and moving progressively until NVIS closed on 40. These were designated Fx, but I cannot remember what the X was.

Brian

My NoV is dated 2/Aug/2002 which means I’ve been using the band and the terms FE/FM etc. for 4 years longer than Johnny-come-lately Walt “I had an NoV right from the start” G3NYY.

You didn’t have a NoV right from the start and are therefore not in any position to claim much about anything. Now, you and all the other newcomers to 60m can get off my lawn and respect my 14 years of 60m experience! :smile:

Temper … temper …

:slight_smile:
Walt

1 Like

That would be because you only had a “B” licence. The original NoVs were made available exclusively to holders of Class “A” licences … at least according to the following historical document.
:slight_smile:

http://www.davesergeant.com/fivemegs/fivemegs.htm

Walt

I get that, the part that I don’t understand is that elsewhere it is claimed that the Americans were first on the band and I believe that they started in 2003 - but our American friends sometimes seem to make such claims, Hollywood has it that an American submarine captured the first ENIGMA device - before America entered the war!

Brian

I guess it is Mount Gay time for the participants :wink:
Night night
Mike

One did! But towards the end of hostilities not near the start.

Entertainment != fact or documentry :wink:

1 Like

The UK started in August 2002. The USA started in 2003. It is all documented in great detail, with references, here:

Anyway, I think this topic has been exhausted. Shall we move on?
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi all,
My 60m CW experiment was a success. During my week in Northern Ireland I activated Slemish Mountain, Agnews Hill and Big Colin (what a fabulous name for a hill).

On each summit I activated using several bands including 60m. SSB was carried out on 5.398.5 / 5.395MHz and CW on 5.381.5MHz. The CW activations were preceded with self spotting. 4 countries and 11 contacts were logged. From small acorns, large oaks do grow. No tails on the aerial, no QRM, non UK stations. Let the fun begin.

Regards

David G0EVV

Made SOTA so much easier… :slight_smile:

Next thing you will be calling a trunk a boot, an elevator a lift and so on… :wink:

I think you’ll find that Elephants have trunks and Fairies wear boots :wink:

You old rocker you!

1 Like