80m antenna tests on Thursday 21st. April 2016

Ed,

I guess the difference between the home and /p setup is due to the local terrain - antenna being low.

A minimum of 28-30m of cable (unloaded) is required to have some efficiency in the system. Otherwise 5W become QRPp

I also started with the K7MEM calculator.

Although the reference below suggests that I should have built a smaller diameter / longer core as the reactance at 3.5MHz is around 2.5KOhm for my coil.

http://www.w8ji.com/loading_inductors.htm

73 Angel M0HDF

Hi Angel,
My calibration and comparison of the home and portable antennas used the very same support in the same place (wooden flagpole in the garden). the only difference was the use of stranded wire on the portable antenna and single strand 14awg (garden tie up plants with) wire on the home station antenna.

Until Richard pointed me to it, I knew nothing of the K7MEM calculator. My antennas were built as test antennas based on gut feelings.

28-30 metres of wire is not an option - the whole idea is to get a short antenna that I can use on SOTA summits with limited space available.

73 Ed.

Hi Ed.

I misread your test setup. Good luck with the testing and let us know how you get on with.

73 Angel