7w0a

I only see it on a small B&W QSL card type image in front of the two guys, have I missed something?

While we must preserve the integrity of SOTA, I wouldn’t like to see us antagonise the ARA, this would jeopardise the possibility of a future 7W Association, we need to break into the mainland of North Africa!

No that’s all, point taken.

The president of the ARA was one of the operators. I think he’s likely to be well antagonised by the negative publicity he, ARA and his non-SOTA activation have received already.

1 Like

Please note UA4WHX is involved. The guy invented many entities (T10VB, O19VB etc), a SOTA summit wouldn’t be suprising.

As a side note, it’s always a wonder how he manages to operate freely from regions under russian military occupation. Seems like certain intelligence services really appreciate his hobby ;).

Edit: QRZ page seems to be up: 7W0A - Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio

Razvan.

As of 2230 on 27/1/2017, the QRZ page for 7W0A shows a SOTA Logo, claims to be a SOTA operation, states the name of the mountain and the altitude. At best, ignorance. But few SOTA operators who know how to look up the real SOTA database rather than something on Facebook, would be taken in by such stunts. Any attempt to upload a contact with the false reference, if they invent one, will simply fail.

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. SOTA is being used as a drawcard for this operation. That is quite significant.

I notice they won’t use either Eqsl or LOTW, so only accepting hard copy QSLs with presumably hard copy green stamps… bit mercenary I reckon…

Some words say it all…

From Vladimir UA4WHX, QRZ’s page:

“… If you really need a paper QSL, request it directly with Pay Pal, …”

“I do answer lots of bureau requests but, please, do not count on it as a way of getting a card. See it as a pleasant lottery…”

I would like to be polite but…I hate this kind of induced misleading statements! :rage:

73 es night night
De Pedro, CT1DBS/CU3HF

PS - Just in case, I made publicity of this situation across CT/CU (news and facebook).

It’s nothing more than another money making dx expedition masquerading as a SOTA activity.

How can a summit be activated for three days ?

There are plenty of people desperate for another card or award of some sort so guess they will make a few bucks for their efforts.

Like this:

http://tomread.co.uk/cadair_berwyn_2014.htm

3 Likes

Hi Tom,

The secret fuel was duck wrap and goats cheese?: I think the goat got the better deal.

Great effort.

Ron
Vk3AFW

1 Like

Apparently QRZ have allowed the page because “they have provided a copy of their callsign license” (that was the response I got from QRZ Admin).

Edit: Having looked again the LOGO’s have now been removed.

So they have - they were still there this morning. Progress!

It does help when you remind the Zed that the logo is copyright and the operator did not have permission to use it

As an American, I know a lot of fellow Americans who are NOT butt holes. But if you want to see a small sample of a few who are, check out the related topic about this on QRZ.

Warning: Do not respond to them in any way, It only serves to make them bigger butt holes. I feel better now.

After receiving a personal request from a forum reader (not an official admonishment) I toned down my heartfelt sentiment just a little. Everyone will know what I actually said initially, though now it is hopefully a bit less objectionable to a wider audience.

I really do find the reaction of a few QRZ hams to be very frustrating. If you are not born with a SOTA spirit, that’s fine. Just leave us in peace and stay away. Far far away. .

1 Like

I think the QRZ forums welcome a certain type of people, that are not representative for US citizens or hams.

I like the meme used!

I didn’t know you were a memeticist, Tasos!

:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

If you take part in an internet forum, you have to accept that you are going to come up against some sad people who enjoy stirring up trouble or spewing up irrational bile. These people are not representative of either their country or their interest group. There are two ways of dealing with them, both have disadvantages. You either ignore them, or you calmly and if possible humourously counter their tirades. If you ignore them, then you are allowing them to influence uncommitted people reading the thread. If you counter them you are making your case to the uncommitted, but either way you know that you cannot convert the trouble makers, they will just continue whatever happens. The one thing that is fatal is to get down and dirty with them, that does no good to your cause. A few sly quips at their expense, however, does no harm.

Brian

2 Likes

Which did you do?

This sort of thing happens in many a form including radio clubs and bike clubs the sort that like to come along and spoils it for the rest. Also happens live on air at times. Like you said folks just ignore them and get on with it with a smile on your face really gets up there nose :slight_smile:
karl

Your comment made me laugh a bit loud in the office Walt :slight_smile:

Indeed,
Im highly regarded as a selfish gene in my community :slight_smile:
73 and viva la revolucion 7w0a :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: