5MHz NOV Renewal

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Steve You do know its a 19 set.Only joking atb Geoff

Excellent - thanks Mark. Had fingers crossed that you might have been listening for the 2m CW this morning BTW. I beamed north for you a few times.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

So there is an effect all those breakfasts are having on you!

Download this, there is a picture of what to look for.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

That is the business Andy I was not going daft, then. Those jumpers that look like chip diodes (and probably are) in the photo on page 10 are what I was thinking about.

Steve

In reply to GW7AAV:

They’re probably 0 Ohm resistors Steve. It’s easier (and cheaper and more reliable) for pick and place machines to put a chip resistor on than a blob of solder or a wire link.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6MZX:

Come on Geoff we all know that to mod a 19 set all you need is an bayonet to use as a screw driver and a good sized rock to use as a hammer.

Reading the 5MHz Operating Practice document, I see that CW should occur in the bottom 300Hz of a channel. Therefore, for FE (for instance), that is 5.3985 to 5.3988, right? So, effectively, the frequency selected for CW operation would often be the same as that for USB on each channel would it not?

What are regular 5MHz SOTA ops/chasers’ thoughts on ‘controlled net operation’, and signal reporting (RST vs SINPO), especially with regard to CW operation?

Thanks,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

In practice, I usually call on CW with the dial frequency set to 5260 or 5280. That way, it is more likely that anybody monitoring the channel on any mode will hear and reply.

I think I participated in one “controlled net” very early on, but nowadays I just operate in normal “radio amateur” mode. Likewise, SINPO is rarely, if ever, used these days, so I just give RST as normal. Nobody has complained yet!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to M1EYP:
Current 5MHz operating guidance suggests 5.291 or 5.289 (1KHz either side of the beacons) for CW activity.

I use 5.291 but it always needs a self spot/alert to get a reply.

73 Marc G0AZS

Will need to check when I get home. I’ve never had a 5MHz NoV before, and I need to see if the one I’ve been issued is valid already, or comes into force on 1st July. If my alert for tomorrow is altered later, you’ll know the answer!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
At 06:00 (UTC) you may not get any inter G propagation on 5 MHz Tom. The skip might still be a tad long. Maybe you will get calls from LA and OZ.

The F2 critical frequency is likely to be bang on for 80m NVIS propagation but I’ll be interested to see what 60m does for you at that time. I’ll try and listen if I’m around (I wasn’t today on 2m. Obviously!)

73 Marc G0AZS

It’s all about experimentation! I guess I was more interested in applying for a NoV this time, as over the last couple of years I have become keen on discovering how different HF bands behaved at 0600z at different times of year. I guess such an interest is in-keeping with the ideas of the 5MHz experiment.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G0AZS:

The IPS LAMP chart for London suggests that at 6.00z yesterday the minimum skip was 500-600km.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:
Good luck tomorrow morning with 5MHz Tom - sorry will not be available to work you catching (very) early bus to work - School of Medicine practical exams (OSCE) my favourite :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1EYP:

Have fun Tom, I will be in work by then :0(

In reply to MM0FMF:

So you can’t have E as a valid secondary locator for English callsigns
and a valid special event prefix for stations outside of England
albeit 33 years ago.

Why not? You can have different rules at different times. For example I recall that the GC prefix used to be “Channel Islands” but is now Wales.

In reply to M1MAJ:

In reply to MM0FMF:

So you can’t have E as a valid secondary locator for English
callsigns
and a valid special event prefix for stations outside of England
albeit 33 years ago.

Just seen this on the RSGB site

Errors on the 5MHz NoV

If you have renewed your 5MHz Notice of Variation licence with Ofcom, you may have noticed a mistake on the paperwork. Your callsign might have an extra letter added, for example G4LFM will have become GE4LFM. If this has happened you need to contact Ofcom as soon as possible to correct this error. They will re-issue paperwork accordingly with your correct callsign. Please note that you must contact Ofcom direct and not the RSGB as only Ofcom can correct the error.

I received my NOV a couple of weeks ago and was very dissappointed that I hadn’t been given one on the new exotic calls.

I did notice clause 2 (i) At a Temporary location says that your supposed to give written notice of the location to the Ofcom Fields Operations Office.

My question is does anybody do this and if so how specific are you ie do you give a blow by blow list or just some general information.

Peter G1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:

I did notice clause 2 (i) At a Temporary location says that your
supposed to give written notice of the location to the Ofcom Fields
Operations Office.

My question is does anybody do this and if so how specific are you ie
do you give a blow by blow list or just some general information.

It says you have to give your location every 30mins to an accuracy of 5kms

OR

notify the local field operations office.

Andy
MM0FMF

Andy

In reply to MM0FMF:
By gad your right sir problem solved many thanks.

And by the by will be using your smsbot next month from Cumbria provided I can get a signal. Last year I was able to get a wifi connection at the campsite so will post daily alerts.

Peter G1FOA

Peter G1FOA:

I did notice clause 2 (i) At a Temporary location says that your
supposed to give written notice of the location to the Ofcom Fields
Operations Office.

The wording on mine as the word ‘or’ at the end of 2(i)(i) before 2(i)(ii) which to me means that you can just:

(i) use the suffix “/P” with his call sign …

and ignore (ii).

Stewart G0LGS