2W0YYY/P on Ten Meter FM simplex strong into Virginia, USA

I am at a loss to understand why anyone would want a QSL - electronic or otherwise - for every summit they have chased. There is no requirement for QSLs to claim any SOTA Award, nor for WAB.
I agree with Guru … it’s too much work for no real purpose.
EQSLs are bad enough, but some chasers actually send me a paper QSL via the bureau for EVERY activation! At first I tried, reluctantly, to respond to them all but I have given up on it now. Typically it takes 30 seconds to make a contact from a summit, but several minutes to answer a paper QSL for that contact … once you’ve checked the log, looked up the summit ref, WAB square and locator, and entered all the details on a card.
If we are going to spend so much time replying to QSLs, there will be much less time available for activating the summits … which is what SOTA is really about.

Walt (G3NYY)

Keep the greenstamps and spend them on loose women, drugs and booze! That’s what I do.

Ah, there’s the flaw to that plan.

Hi Dow!

I do hope you’ll keep still posting here…

For the second time in 3 days, you were the first North American to make the trip on 10m FM. Fine business. Your Antron-99 is doing a great job. You keep calling me on your A-99 and I’ll keep carrying mine up onto the summits…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

1 Like

Hello Dow,

"Us Yanks in America are always Wrong it looks like… "

No not all!!! Your thread start post was great and to read it made me feel happy - 54 years and still getting a buzz - great stuff. Don’t give up and if you think it is worth the comment go for it.

Good luck and vy best wishes
Mike

Dear Dow,
I understand your point of view and I fully respect your wish to keep receiving eQSLs.
For different reasons I have lost my interest in QSL cards, but I understand and respect other hams still having it and wanting them, like yourself and surely many others.
That’s why I keep uploading my logs to eQSL and LOTW, although I don’t do it for SOTA activations for the explained reason of not having time or not willing to spend much time to create and manage separate accounts for all the different locations that each summit represent.
What some people do is creating a single account for the callsign/P and then writing the specific details of the summit reference and location of a single SOTA activation in the comments area, but this is not indeed right, because a single QTH locator, city, etc, must be entered when creating the account and so that account will indeed confirm QSOs with that unique QTH, no matter what the text written in the comments say, thus making it faulty when that eQSL pretends to confirm activations from other different locations, as it’s the case of the SOTA summits.
Dow, please, do not feel bad for comments and opinions different to yours and do not stop posting here, as I’m sure we all appreciate and welcome your comments, opinions and would like to keep reading you. The fact that you are doing things one way and some others posting here are doing it differently, doesn’t mean that you are right or wrong, neither the others. It’s just the demonstration of why things should never be the same way for everybody.
Each one have each own reality, needs, reasons, constrains and desires and they can vary a lot from one to other.
Best 73 de Guru - EA2IF

1 Like

After being a Amateur Radio Extra Class operator for 54 years and a High Speed Cw op. with 6 Band DCXX 3 Different modes. Winner of Many Contest over the years working with one of the best DX Clubs the CVCC when I loved in Richmond, VA I HAVE NO interest in Paper QSL cards at all… I have a Large Truck full of Old Cards. Retired, living on Retirement and SSI I have NO need to waset money on QSL cards or Postage anymore.
I collect the EQSL for one reason and one reason ONLY. I keep the in a Folder and make a Slide-show Screen-saver. Which in-turns draws interest for people when they come into my shack to the point I have over the years got people interested in our hobby. And they have becpme very Good HAM’s.
But when I make a post or a comment its always in good nature and for informatiion. for others. Just to get nasty smear comments from people who dont like what I say or the way I think.
I Dont need that and it will be a long time agin and I will think long and hard before I make another post. Those that think its funny to go off topic and start something else. You can Have it.
MY log program LOG4OM sends pit a FREE EQSL to each and every contact I make
IF you dont like it or dont like them fell free to put them in File 13 If you dont use the service its not important anyway. Less of all to me.
I looked for a way for Delete my post but all I could do was Flag those comments that went off Topic.
73 All & Good Night de W4DOW (Good on QRZ.com) you might find that interesting but keep your comments to your self also.

Thanlks mike again for yet another Great 10M FM SOTA Contact today.

My pleasure Dow, Always a pleasure to work you and your spots are most appreciated…

Listen out for Barry M0IML and myself on 10m later this week. I’ll try and twist Barrys arm to work some 10m FM :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Sure will I will be here 73 de Dow
W4DOW