2m SSB SOTA

Well, we’re now in British Summer Time, an extra hour of daylight and even the weather is cheering somewhat. I even walked into town and back in a T-shirt today! The weather looks reasonable for this evening (Tuesday), so I’ll definitely be out doing another 2m SSB SOTA activation, from 8pm (local) = 1900z.

Any other takers?

Only me alerted so far for this evening, but the weather is very pleasant here in Cheshire so I’ll be going ahead as planned. Hope to work some SOTA chasers on 2m SSB and maybe some S2S who knows?

Well I reckon there was one S2S (with GW1YBB/P on GW/SW-020) and a further 14 SOTA chasers in the log this evening. That was in a log of 86 QSOs, all 2m SSB. Locators worked were: IN99, IO64, 74, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, JO01. Heard but not worked were IO70 and JO03. Surprisingly not heard were IO95 and JO02.

Weather was dry and clear, but rather chilly.

QSO map: http://www.rsgbcc.org/cgi-bin/vhfresults.pl?kml=2016/rVydtuX8ecM8gvpHrUVhCTeQhKv0ilo

the link does not work for me Tom.

^^^ Try this one…

1 Like

works now

Hi Tom

I have been playing in the 2m and 70cm SSB space since January.

My latest efforts on 2m SSB can be found at:

My pesonal VHF Dx distance records are 560 km on 2m SSB and 143 km on 70cm SSB. I did crack 185 km on 70cm last weekend from Bobbara Mountain. Blog post to follow later this week.

Cheers

Andrew (VK1AD)

1 Like

Just a heads up, especially for the 2m SSB fans, that it is the 3rd Backpackers contest today. I see that several competing stations have placed SOTAwatch alerts, so there would appear to be a genuine opportunity to work five or more UK SOTA summits on 2m SSB this afternoon.

Currently alerted from 1100z (the contest runs 1100-1500 / 12pm-4pm BST) and with mention of 144-ssb are:

MM0GLM/P on Stuc a’Chroin GM/SS-010
GW4TJC/P on Mwdwl-eithin GW/NW-047
MW3WJZ/P on Culter Fell GM/SS-049
M1EYP/P on The Cloud G/SP-015

I am also aware of the intentions of Rob GW7LAS/P to take part from Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012 and would not be surprised if some other stations are on SOTA summits too.

So there ya go you VHF SSB fans, today’s your day!

1 Like

If an op takes part in a contest from a summit (not done previously that year) regardless of band or mode, can they submit their log and claim the activator points?

73 Chris M0RSF

Chris, ask the question the other way around and you should see the answer.

If the op takes part in a contest from a SOTA summit, what would stop them submitting their log for points?

Hello Andy, I’m sure I heard somewhere that this is frowned upon. I’ve done it myself in the past, from G/NP-028 Rombalds Moor though I did call ‘CQ contest & SOTA’. As long as the required 4 contacts were made I couldn’t see it being a problem.

73 Chris M0RSF

The issue is many contest operations are more likely to involve operation from cars, use of generators etc. which are outside SOTA rules. If the the only thing that makes the operation different from any old SOTA operation is you call CQ Contest and give people contest reports like 59123 then it’s fine for SOTA.

There are issues with self spotting when operating in some contests. You need to ensure any self spots or alerts comply with the contest rules or you may be disqualified from the contest.

Essentially, for most of these RSGB VHF events, “SOTA & Contest” is fine, mentioning your SOTA ref is fine, alerting on SOTAwatch is fine. Things that are not fine for SOTA are operating from a vehicle or using a genny (so no issue for those doing today’s Backpackers 3B section), while the thing that is not fine for the RSGBCC is self-spotting during the contest.

Adopt a sensible approach and there’s no reason why you can’t combine two great activities and have a thoroughly enjoyable outing.

My results from The Cloud G/SP-015 today were:

70 contacts, all 2m - 47 on SSB and 23 on FM.

This included 66 in the 2m Backpackers events, with DXCCs G, GW, GM, GI and EI worked, squares IO74, 76, 80, 81, 82, 83, 86, 91, 92, 93, 94, JO01, 02. GD, F, DL and PA were heard but not worked, same goes for IO73, 75 and 90.

There was at least eight SOTA activators taking part:

M1EYP/P on The Cloud G/SP-015
GW7LAS/P on Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012
G4TCU/P on Titterstone Clee Hill G/WB-004
GW4TJC/P on Mwdwl-eithin GW/NW-047
G0LGS/P on Cleeve Hill G/CE-001
G7HEM/P on Walton Hill G/CE-002
GW4IDF/P on Graig Syfyrddin GW/SW-020
G4XZL/P on St Boniface Down G/SE-008

…and I was pleased to bag the six S2S QSOs in the event.

I was going to put JO03 on, but went Geocaching instead. Wx much nicer today with the wind dying down.

Oh I wish - never experienced such lousy conditions on VHF during a contest (9 contacts on 2m!!!)

You need to move house (again) Barry. It is a well-known fact that VHF conditions are better in IO83 square.

If I had been on from home that would be fine, but this was portable and not the best of VHF sites to be honest.
Surprising what information you can glean from white noise when you listen long enough (no doubt the statisticians amongst you will provide the correlation!!)

… G4TCU/P on Titterstone Clee Hil G/WB-004 ?

and G4XZL/P on G/SE-008