15 Watt EIRP - What does that mean?

Hi Ed, interesting topic as I wouldn’t pretend to be an expert in electronics or German (I’m an amateur after all).
Just out of interest what does the phrase above mean? It seems to be referring to Pi but using 2.14 rather than 3.14. Also what has Pi got to do with this calculation?
Danke

Pi mal Daumen - in English would be a “rough rule of thumb” - or “guesstimate” - nothing to do with 3.1412…".

The 2.14db loss balances out the 2.14 dBi gain of the Dipole antenna - hence the authors published guide to say that 15w PEP from a rig will give 15w EIRP at the antenna (which most on this list disagree with as the author - and the authorities use 2.14 dBi as the Isotropic gain for a dipole rather than the directional Isotropic gain of 6 dBi).

Ed.

Hi Ed,

Sadly it seems that 60 m may never be allocated to VK amateurs. The band is used by emergency, safety and law enforcement organisations and the authorities, I’m told, consider the risk of QRM from VK’s not sticking to 15 W eirp max is too great.

Good luck with your 60 m challenge.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Ron,
Given that the 60m band is listed in the latest Australian frequency allocation document from the ACMA, I would expect it to be implemented during 2017 - otherwise, why add it to the table?

73 Ed.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2016L02001

Hi Ed,

A good question. I don’t know the answer. My informant has been right in the past. I have scanned the 2017 plan, but the chapter on implementation dates wasn’t found. There needs to be a change to the Licence Conditions published.

The WIA was pushing for a 70 MHz allocation before trying for the 5.3 MHz allocation and the 70 MHz allocation does not get a guernsey in the 2017 plan. My informant said both 4 m and 60 m were dead in the water.

I am making further enquiries, but given the 1 kW Test fiasco, the concern about QRM from non-compliant stations has to be given some credence.

IMO the stumbling block to even a 15 W eirp allocation is that the band is allocated to paying customers who do not want to move. Only one channel seems to be inactive. Sharing with the Air Ambulance or State Emergency Service isn’t going to work.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Ron,
You could very well be right as that was the story through last year - no chance of 60m in Australia in the next few years - which is why, when it appeared in the ACMA plan, I was surprised.

I agree the primary users probably don’t wish to move, but there may be a bigger picture, that we don’t know about.

In any case, 60m will be a wait and see situation. I was surprised that the WIA was chasing a 4m allocation, I can’t see the value in that, in your part of the world - or does NZ have 4m ??

Ed.

Hi Ed,
With apologies for getting off topic.

The ACMA has been going through a comprehensive review. The outcome is a number of 5 year plans. So wisely they have included all that might be done in that period. Of course this does not place an obligation on the ACMA to implement everything on the plan in the plan period. Priorities change, or get changed by those with political clout.

So while the ACMA has forecast a possible allocation of a 60 m band it’s not imminent. New digital technologies make the band even more useful to utilities and emergency services. Radio Australia is closing but their allocation is in the International SW broadcast bands so that isn’t going to help with 60 m.

The US allocation is more generous in power even if restricted to channels. I suppose that’s their way of handling possible interference issues and retaining most of the band for more critical traffic.

Anyway having the band listed in the plan at least does offer some hope. Perhaps that’s all it’s there for.

70 MHz is being pushed by one member of the WIA board, and I presume some members. The demise of the nation wide ABC analog TV transmissions has potentially cleared the band.

Stay warm,

Ron
VK3AFW