ZIPPY 4200/8200mAh LiFePO4 battery supply?

Thanks for the heads up Michael! :grinning:

Reading the description, the burst current rating has gone up from 40C to 60C. That means the 8400mAh battery can deliver up to 504 amps :full_moon_with_face::exploding_head::boom::new_moon_with_face:! We always say a fuse is probably a good idea; it’s worth repeating. Hopefully the quality will be higher and less variable with this new batch. My old 4200mAh does not hold much charge, although I know other activators have had better luck. I wish there was a 2100mAh version; as a CW only op, I don’t really need 4200mAh.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

I’ve just ordered 2 x 4200mAh batteries. Hobbyking are doing a Facebook promotion at the moment, I got a message but you may be able to tease the system into life, it gives you a 10% discount.

Note that the postage on 2 x 4200mAh batteries is free, but on the 8400mAH LifePo4 it is just over £20, probably down to the size of the battery and special handling measures.

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

I ordered an 8400 for work, it arrived on a 1m x 1m pallet, on the back of a lorry with Hazmet signs all over it!
The driver then asked where my forklift was to get it off.

The package on the pallet measured 20x20x25cm and weighed 1Kg

We use 2x 4200’s instead now, caused a laugh at the office though.

2 Likes

Back in stock, just ordered the 4200 one.

OMG that is amazing! Thing is, if they offered free or cheaper delivery on the 8400 mAH that would be happening up-and-down the country!

Thanks for letting us know. I’m presuming you got to keep the pallet…?

Mark.

Anyone tried a 4s lipo battery and knock up a voltage dropper?

I have a rectifier diode rated at 35a and a heat sink to mount it to and I will attach a wiring diagram . A friend used this for 100w qro and never had a issue .

2E0FGX

received_365752837652660

Yes it works. Typically with a modern 100W radio at 100W will use about 18-19A. A 4S Lipo is 16.8V when charged and you want to get that to around 15V to be safe. You’ll need to lose 1.8V and the drop in a bridge like that is 0.9V per diode typically. 1/2 of the bridge does the job. Finally 1.8V @ 19A is 34.2W and a quick Google suggests 2C/W for the temp. coeff. so your bridge will rise in temp by 68.4C above ambient.

Ordered a 4200 plus charger to power my new G90. Just to clarify, this thread is about LiFePo4 battery, which is 13.2V.

2 Likes

You’ll not regret the purchase Steve - I now use two of them for various bits of kit, mainly my amps which prefer 13.2V, but also my HB1A CW transceiver which can run for hours and hours on one of these. I have yet to parallel them up and try out my BNOS 180W 2m amp. Hmm, might be worth me buying a couple more!

The main thing I love about LiFePO4 batteries is that the recommendation is to store them fully charged so they are ready to go. LiPO batteries are stored at around 3.7V per cell, so require charging before use. Even though most of my activations are planned well in advance, I do now have the capability of going out at short notice.

2 Likes

The Imax B6 charger is down to €18 at Hobbyking:

There seems to be a few other useful things in the sale; if you’re a regular customer, you might get another 5% on top of that.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

Don’t forget, you will need a 12v supply to power the charger. It won’t run of the mains A.C.

That’s why I believe it’s far more interesting buying the iMAX B6AC, which is Dual power and you can use it with either 11-18V CC or 100-240V 50/60Hz AC.

Guru

1 Like

Apologies for resurrecting an older post.

Does anyone have a lead on where I’d be able to pick up one of the 4200mAh batteries (ideally in the UK)?

Hobby King seem to have been out of stock of these for a while and I’ve not found any other suppliers who have them.

73 de Neil.

1 Like

Neil,

I have been after one as well, but they have been out of stock, and supposedly on back order for months at Hobbyking.

73’s
David

Hopefully they will be able to source some soon.

The website for zippy batteries seems to have disappeared which doesn’t fill me with much hope though.

1 Like

edit: THE LINKS BELOW ARE NOT LIPOFE! SORRY! Ill leave it here for future reference if needed!

i have one like this one for years:

or

Not what you are after?

1 Like

Hi Tasos,

This thread is specifically about the LiFePO4 batteries.

According to the Hobbyking website the “Flightmax” version is discontinued, the current version is the Zippy Compact. Which is also out of stock with no expected availability date :frowning:

2 Likes

I wish I’d bought 2😉.

1 Like

upssss sorry!! missed the detail!!