Z3/WM-001(2764m), International climbing event

Info taken from the web site of Mountain Climbing Club “KORAB” from Skopje, Republic of Macedonia, for the traditional international event climbing to the highest summit in Macedonia, Golem Korab, 2764 m, SOTA ref. Z3/WM-001.
http://www.korab.org.mk/indexen.html

"Honoring September 8, the Independence Day of the Republic of Macedonia, the Mountain Climbing Club KORAB from Skopje, has the pleasure to invite you to participate in the 18th, traditional international climbing GOLEM KORAB.
The event will take place on September 6, 2009 (Sunday).

This year the Club will provide accommodation for all the participants. There are 200 beds available at the state student dormitory Tome Serafimovski – Senik, on Aleksandar Makedonski Boulevard no. 22 (ex Edvard Kardelj Boulevard). The location is 4 km away from the center of the town, an area connected to public i.e. buss transportation. Each room has four beds and a bathroom. There is a kitchen and refrigerators available on every floor, a restaurant – buffet and a room for gathering. The price for an overnight stay is 400 denars (EUR6.5), or 550 denars (EUR9) including dinner.

This year the Club will also provide a buss transport for all participants to the destination from Skopje and back. Some busses will leave from the Skopje Railway Station and the rest will stand at the student dormitory Tome Serafimovski – Senik. The busses will be leaving at 5 am, and the cost of a return ticket is 450 denars (EUR7.5).

For those participants arriving to Skopje two days earlier, the Club KORAB is offering sightseeing tour around Skopje and an attractive hiking tour to VODNO - MATKA.

PROGRAMME

Sept. 4. (Friday) welcoming and accommodation of guests
Sept. 5. (Saturday) welcoming and accommodation of guests

9 am hiking tour VODNO – MATKA, or sightseeing tour of Skopje
3 pm returning from MATKA to Skopje and sightseeing tour of Skopje
6 pm returning to Student Dormitory
7 pm Official Opening of the event and granting awards
7:30 pm meeting with the guides
8 pm – 10 pm Party
Sept. 6. (Sunday)

5 am departure with busses from Skopje to KORAB
8:30 am estimated arrival time to KORAB
9 am start of the climb from the location of POBEDA (ex Shtirovica)
3 pm closing of the summit and going back to POBEDA, granting awards
7 pm departure of the last buss to Skopje

The route of the climb to GOLEM KORAB (2754m a.s.l.) is 18160m long, altogether. It is marked and the guides from the Club KORAB will provide assistance to the participants. There will be four points on the route for first aid help. Drinking water will be found on several spots on the route. The starting point is on 1280m a.s.l.

Important notes:

Please be advised that there is no fixed schedule for departures from Skopje, i.e. the busses will leave as soon as all sits will be occupied. So, when you get off the bus, do not leave behind your belongings in the bus, like food, clothes etc.
The equipment needed is standard mountaineering equipment for fall tracking conditions while climbing on high summits.
Movement of the participants will be in the border area, please follow strictly the marked route.
Please do not leave the garbage on the mountain, i.e. put it in the nearest container. Lets leave KORAB clean, natural and virgin; Lets leave it just the way we found it, magnificent and wonderful!
Every participant is fully responsible for his health, physical condition and safety.
The Club KORAB takes no responsibility for the participants who do not follow the above stated rules.

For the participants interested to stay longer in Skopje or some other place in Macedonia, the Club KORAB can provide accommodation".

e-mail: contact@korab.org.mk

I plan to activate the highest summit in Macedonia, Golem Korab, Z3/WM-001, 2764 m ASL on 06.09 2009. A group of more than one thousand people will climb during the same day. Hope for good WX.
The RIG: Alinco DX-70 T, 5 - 50 W; 12 V 7 Ah battery; Inv-Vee Link-Dipole; 5m fishing pole.

The first activation of Golem Korab, 2764 m, Z3/WM-001 was on 06.09 2009.
A total of 38 QSOs were made on 7 and 14 Mc all on SSB ( I had a problem with the connector of my key and was not able to use any CW - SRI).
The majority of the contacts were made with stations working in Field Day Contest. One QSO was made with JA station working in All Asian Contest. I was spotted on DX Cluster as portable SOTA station and also sent few messages to SOTA chasers to spot me on SotaWatch but without any result. I regret that this difficult activation ended without contacts with SOTA chasers.
The power used was 50 w into Inv-Vee Link- Dipole.

If someone is willing to activate the highest SOTA summit in Macedonia, Golem Korab 2764 m, Z3/WM-001, the Mountain Climbing Club “Korab” from Skopje on 5. September 2010 is organising the 19. traditional international climbing event to this summit.

Additional info taken from the web site of Mountain Climbing Club
http://www.korab.org.mk/indexen.html

19th CLIMB „GOLEM KORAB 2010" - 05 SEPTEMBER, 2010

Honoring September 8, the Independence Day of the Republic of Macedonia, the Mountain Climbing Club KORAB from Skopje, has the pleasure to invite you to participate in the 19th, traditional international climbing GOLEM KORAB. The event will take place on September 5, 2010 (Sunday).

This year the Club will provide accommodation for all the participants. There are 100 beds available at the state student dormitory Goce Delchev. The location is 4 km away from the center of the town, an area connected to public i.e. buss transportation. Each room has two beds and a bathroom. The price for an overnight stay is EUR 8.

This year the Club will also provide a buss transport for all participants to the destination from Skopje and back. Some busses will leave from the Skopje Railway Station and the rest will stand at the student dormitory Goce Delchev. The busses will be leaving at 5 am, and the cost of a return ticket is EUR 8.

For those participants arriving to Skopje two days earlier, the Club KORAB is offering sightseeing tour around Skopje and an attractive hiking tour to VODNO - MATKA.

For those interested in three days camping on KORAB mounting this year a camp will be organized on the location Pobeda, on 1280 m a.s.l, starting from Friday, 03 September 2010. A camping fee is EUR 1,5 per tent (the funds from the fee will be used for keeping the environment clean). There is a building with a bathroom on the camper’s disposal.

On Saturday, 04 September 2010 will be organized climbing on the pick Golem Korab, 2754m and the guides from the Club KORAB will provide assistance to the participants.

PROGRAMME

Sept. 3. (Friday) welcoming and accommodation of guests
Sept. 4. (Saturday) welcoming and accommodation of guests

* 8 am hiking tour VODNO -- MATKA, or sightseeing tour of Skopje
* 3 pm returning from MATKA to Skopje and sightseeing tour of Skopje
* 6 pm returning to Student Dormitory
* 21.30 pm Official Opening of the event and granting awards

Sept. 5. (Sunday)

* 5 am departure with busses from Skopje to KORAB
* 8:30 am estimated arrival time to KORAB
* 9 am start of the climb from the location of POBEDA (ex Shtirovica)
* 3 pm closing of the summit and going back to POBEDA, granting awards
* 7 pm departure of the last buss to Skopje

The route of the climb to GOLEM KORAB (2764m a.s.l.) is 18160m long, altogether. It is marked and the guides from the Club KORAB will provide assistance to the participants. There will be four points on the route for first aid help. Drinking water will be found on several spots on the route. The starting point is on 1280m a.s.l.

e-mail: contact@korab.org.mk

Club KORAB