Yuma Arizona Hamfest this weekend

OK, so ran into Scott, WA9STI, couple of days ago on 40M and he put the bug in my ear (I’ve actually had this hamfest on my radar for a couple of years now) about the Yuma Hamfest this weekend.

Sounds like a good idea. Time to get out of the snow and ice and cold WX for a few daze and meet up with some of the SoCal gang and pop some 807’s! :wink:

Who’s going? Anyone? I’m headed down to San Diego tomorrow and have resv’s for camping at the fairgrounds on Friday the 18th. Scott mentioned he’ll be monitoring 144.450 while down there. I recall the Arizona gang also runs a 2M simplex freq on most of their activations - can’t recall it offhand ??

If you plan on attending - give a shout out on 144.450…

CUL…

73, Todd KH2TJ

1 Like

I’ve been to Yuma before, and I wouldn’t spend my own money to go there.
Maybe a hamfest would make it better? :thinking:

Know what you mean Jeff. I had the unfortunate displeasure of being sent down there in the early 80’s - all expense travel paid for by “Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children” club (USMC). Got in a wee bit of trouble down in San Luis one night (a story for some 807’s) and got sent out to Yuma Proving Grounds (YPG). Spent almost a month on top of Telegraph Peak as my “punishment”! It actually turned out to be a blessing. No more tropical hours for work down on the base (2am to 12 noon) in all that heat, and we bribed the Comm site guy to bring us up steaks and cold ones every week as he did his maint on all the microwave radio equip…Worked the world from up there using a little PRiCk 104 :wink:

Just finished looking around on your webpage and found W6/ND-435 - Looks easy enough so just might be able to swing that in while down there…

CUL…

73, Todd KH2TJ

3 Likes

That’s a young KH2TJ on the right, and Harv, K2PI, on the left. At that time I was WD6AHV and Harv was WB2PRU…Working CQWW Phone from atop Telegraph Peak, YPG, near Yuma, AZ…Good times. You can see the PRC-104 sitting under Harv’s arm, and I have the CW Key on my right leg. The other gear in the back of the M151 was some MUX gear. We were doing a Retrans site up there in support of Air Ops out of Yuma…

1 Like

It’s a pity the band plan for 80m doesn’t allow us to transmit on 3.10 to Yuma. :slight_smile:

1 Like