Yaesu SOTA radios

My Yaesu VX-7R has provided good service for many an activation now. It has mainly been used for ascent comms with Jimmy M3EYP, as a back-up rig on summit, as a smash-and-grab rig on summit in poor wx, or to conveniently offer a summit on 2m and 70cm at the end of a CW activation.

But it needs a little attention, due to two missing or broken parts. The little stub that screws in at the top of the rubber duck is missing (thankfully I haven’t lost the larger section for 6m). Anyone got any spares or know where I can get one?

The black plastic disk accessory that screws into the back of the set to enable it to be used with the belt clip mount is broken. Same question…

A friend of mine here in Macc has an FT-817ND in good condx available. He is interested in swapping/part-exing for an 840 or other simple HF base rig.

In reply to M1EYP:

W&S have the complete VX-7R antenna on their price list; may be the best you can do even though it’s more than you want.

They also sell a spare belt clip, but I would guess that that does not include the part you need.

You could try sales@yaesu.co.uk. The UK service department was helpful when I had an enquiry about a repair, but I’m not sure whether they supply spares.

In reply to M1EYP:
Do you think that the antenna is the same as 3 band the rubber ducky provided with the FT817 other than the fitting? If so my rubber duck is available - the bottom section went o/c and the repair left it badly detuned so I put it aside and got a telescopic whip. If you think it might be what you want I will locate it and send the top section to you.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Do you think that the antenna is the same as 3 band the rubber ducky
provided with the FT817 other than the fitting?

The thread is the same but the top section is a different length.

In reply to M1EYP:
Im afraid I cant help you with the search for parts but if anyone is interested a friend of mine has a FT817 for sale at £220 and its already been opened for 5Mhz. Go to www.gm6nx.com the forum sale and wants.

Glyn GM4CFS