Yaesu FTX-1F, a new QRP rig!

Hi Carlo, I think you are right, as looking at the FT891, it also does not appear to have a clock on the screen. Mind you it also does not indicate current battery voltage.
Ed.

2 Likes

Hi Martin,
re-reading the release notes for the radio - it is worded that even using the chunky (over 5Ah) Lithium Ion battery pack, the radio only runs at 6 watts output. So I guess that’s to stop the user running it down too quickly ??? If you plug in an external 4Ah LifePO4 battery however, it will then run at 10 watts output.
Although modern HTs have USB-C chargeable batteries, As yet, I have not seen an HF rig with that capability. Perhaps this is the first one?
73 Ed.

2 Likes

Seems strange they can’t run 10W using the Yaesu battery pack but it can from the external connection, but I think it’s the same on the IC705.

2 Likes

It is indeed, the BP-307, the high capacity 3050 mAh Icom battery is only 7.2V, so it allows a maximum of 5W RF output.

2 Likes

It requires a mod board, but the Icom IC-705 can do it.

For this new FTX-1F to have a micro USB port under the flap would be a little ridiculous.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the lower voltage would explain it.

2 Likes

Hi Ed

Using G translate on the hamlife.jp page linked above, I found the approx size but no mass.

“The dimensions are 210W x 52D x 72Hmm according to simple measurements taken by hamlife.jp.”

Ie. in gallons, 8” x 2” x 2 3/4”, not accurate enough for a moon landing, but a starting point. I think the 52D is the base rig, without battery or ATU.

It’s interesting, no basic linear transceivers any more means buyers pay for nearly all the features desired by any operator. But no clock on screen. (Have to glue a lcd clock to the paper log’s clipboard.)

Also, no auto extending sun shield or operator cooling system. What were they thinking of? :slight_smile:

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

7 Likes

If the stock battery connection or voltage limits it, perhaps a third-party custom pack that connects via the DC In will do the job on the 1F. A question would be if it’s still 10-16V in or if there’s some extra headroom for 4s LiPo.

2 Likes

Kenwood also announced a new 2/70cm FM Mobile with APRS & D-Star at the Tokyo Hamfair:

[Ham Fair 2024] <APRS/D-STAR compatible> JVC Kenwood exhibits new 144/430MHz band car transceiver under development - hamlife.jp (www-hamlife-jp.translate.goog)

73 Ed.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings with this new rig:

PROS

• It’s good news that Yaesu offers a new model for portable/QRP ops in mind, so they don’t forget about us.

CONS

• I find the ergonomics of this rig not quite oriented for SOTA activators. We operate frequently sat on ground. The antenna conector on the back requires a tripod or stand. It’d better be on a side.
    This rig seems best for a table or a camping site.

• I guess the different settings will be accessible by the touch screen menus. I would rather prefer some direct buttons /knobs for most frequent features like pwr out, CW speed, or CW msg play. A touch screen is not very rain/winter/gloves friendly.

• it would be great to add a 18650 Li-Ion batt tray inside so that you could use them if you wish. 10w should be possible with 3 of such cells (12,6 V).

Just my 2 cents.
73 Ignacio

9 Likes

It looks very shiny and so has lots of appeal… but it also looks bulky and fragile to go into my SOTA pack. I’ll stick to my TX-500 and MTR-4B (and maybe have room for the new 3B when it is released!

It strikes me as a POTA radio. It can be rested between the picnic cooler and the folding chair in the wagon that helps get gear from the vehicle to the picnic table.

Bruce
VA7SGY

8 Likes

And even for that a FT-710 makes more sense! I see it as a dilettantes portable rig rather than a rig for serious QRP.

1 Like

Video below gives a better idea of what this beast looks like.

Bringing this on SOTA activations sounds like taking your brand new full-option BMW X7 onto the most remote Bolivian mountain death road: it will do the job but you may scratch it a bit (or a lot :rofl:)

7 Likes

I wonder if the little bendy-leg stand is a purchasable option. At first, I thought it was just part of the sales display but then it was featured in one of the promo pictures shown.

I agree with Romain though, even though the BMW would get you where you want to go it, and this radio would get scratched in the process of getting there.
I feel this is less a follow-up to the solid FT817/818 and more a competitor to the IC-705.

I would expect the after-market accessory companies to already be designing a protective cage for the radio - which of course will add to the bulk and weight of the radio but will protect it when dropped onto rocks. Until something like that appears those using this radio on SOTA summits will need to be very careful with it.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

Indeed Ignacio. My thinking would be to sit it on a foam pad and use right-angled connectors. Recesses for the connectors and grooves providing routing for the cables could be fashioned in the foam. Other solutions will of course exist.

Personally I prefer to have flying leads on my portable radios so I am not plugging directly into the rig each time I set up… and that also goes for my KX3 which is installed in a protective case. I would definitely do something similar for this rig.

2 Likes

Seems like the European version will have 4m. Is this the feature that makes the difference?

2 Likes

I want the Nepalese version that comes with a Sherpa.

13 Likes

Hi Ian,
Can you please give a reference to where this is stated? When the IC-705 was first announced, ICOM UK said it would also cover 4m until they had to take that back as technically it wasn’t possible because an IF frequency was around 70 MHz somewhere. The Yaesu will have a different design, so in this case, it may be possible and indeed this may become an advantage of the FT1x-1F over the IC-705.

The home page at Yaesu UK does not list 4m coverage:

73 Ed.

3 Likes

I guess this new Yaesu will follow the pattern of the FTDX101 and FT-710 and include 70 mHz and provide 5-10 watts, but one cannot be certain until they say so.

73 Phil

PS Correction 5-10 watts

1 Like

There’s no official reference to this being a fact, and maybe just part of the rumour mill that is grinding away. It was spotted in of the radio groups i am a part of, so it prompted my question here of whether this would makebit a more attractive proposition for SOTA.

Until theres something official i would treat it with a pinch of salt, but we do like to speculate dont we :slight_smile:

Ian

3 Likes