Xiegu X6100, the real FT-817 successor?

Could you give some references to the reports of spurious transmissions please John?

I don’t have an X6100 yet but would also be interested to see what the talk is about and whether these are professionally validated measurements.
73 Ed.

I have a high quality spectrum analyzer. Maybe an X6100 user will let me have the device for a week.

73 Chris

2 Likes

I can bring mine with me and leave it with you for a few weeks @DL1CR if you’d like Chris? I use the KX2 now.

73, Ben

1 Like

I’ll see if I can find the comments again Ed. They were in a couple of YouTube videos that I half watched trying to glean more information. The X6100 appears to be a full SDR (digitisation at signal frequency) so sprog problems can perhaps be mitigated in the firmware, hence looking for information on the latest version.

I too have a commercial grade calibrated spectrum analyser and could easily check the radio out if anyone local to me would like me to. Or I might just buy one myself!

73 John

1 Like

That was my thought as well Jim and add to the complexity, this is a radio that can be user “hacked” as it runs Linux under the hood and it’s possible that those hacks may have caused some of the reported issues or those hacks can perhaps resolve the issues if the problems are in the official firmware.
73 Ed.

1 Like

Thank you for the interesting offer. How can I return the X6100 to you. Properly packaged and sent insured is no problem, but do you then have to pay customs duty?

73 Chris

1 Like

I saw one for the fisrt time today. It’s cute but quite heavy. Actually nice and solid for the price. The display looks rather small for us old timers (for in the field anyway). I didn’t get to use it. Maybe another time. Look forward to seeing some lab tests.

1 Like

I got to play with one recently at a park while helping out a new SOTA op. Seems like a nice rig for the money, but the display was very hard to see in bright light. I also am interested to see some test results.

I will check out how the postage will work when returning Chris :+1:

1 Like

I suggest looking at the part of the UK incoming postal rules where the item posted is your own property. It has to be labelled correctly as personal belongings and with a zero customs value, otherwise it is treated as a purchase and you pay duty on it. I had to pay duty on my ft817 that I posted to myself from VK in 2016. This is partly why I keep that radio, I’ve paid a fair bit for it. It has to work that off to repay me!
The duty was 95 quid on the declared value. I sent in forms requesting a refund and explaining what had happened, with no response and no refund.

If it worries you to declare zero value, it only refers to how much you have paid the sender for the item. It is nothing to do with insurance value.

I suppose the usual reason for receiving your own property is when you have had to send personal items back home from an overseas holiday.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

2 Likes

Might want to put the C1314 form into one of those clear delivery docket pouches on the parcel when posting it back.

1 Like

I guess you could ask somebody returning from Friedrichshaven to carry it back.

More of a problem is it being sent to you - recently German Customs have been holding packages (all correctly declared) for some considerable time

1 Like

Hi Chris @DL1CR,

I’ve been thinking… the worst case scenario would result in me collecting next year when I’m over again :slight_smile: I have enough spare portable radio’s to run a group activation, so I should be ok for 12 months.

73, Ben

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

the x6100 is in good hands alongside the others

73 Chris

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the thread with photos of Ben’s radio in obscure places over the next 12 months.

5 Likes

I would stick one of those Apple tracking things on it.

1 Like

For sure Chris has a spare LoRa device to donate.

1 Like

You mean, like the garden gnome sending postcards back home?

5 Likes

Then wait for a favourable wind and send it off on a balloon…?

Short path or long?

2 Likes