Wrekin Not Activated

40M must have been a bit duff this morning. I was set up by 10:30BST and calling CQ. One QSO with Dave, G4REQ (Selby) at 10:40, and another with Michael G1WMJ (Canterbury) at 11:00. Jammed by a S5+20 carrier at 11:10 and went QRT at 11:12. Breezy, and I stayed dry.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

In reply to M0DFA:

I was listening for you Dave and I believe others were as well. With no guidance on your alert as to which area of the band you were going to use and no spot it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

What antenna were you using?

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to GW4BVE: The antenna was the inverted ‘V’ dipole - not the doublet + tuner system which has probably got greater losses or the magnetic loop. Couldn’t give any idea on the alert as to the area of the band - as we are all aware, it depends who gets where first, and the 817 has yet to be ‘opened’, so I don’t have access to 7.1 - 7.2. Until I sort out how to drive my mobile, which is quite an old one, I’m unable to self-spot, and I don’t like keep taking advantage of peoples’ good nature by phoning them to spot me. As it was I had to QSY several times when other stations sat too close. BTW, there’s a couple of e-mails from me on another subject. Hope I’ve got the right e-mail address.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

In reply to M0DFA:

Hi Dave, I was listening also, but as John BVE says, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

OK on the mobile for self spots, but surely you carried a 2m/70cms hand held? and could have qualified the summit that way, or at least asked someone to spot you.

All the same, thanks for trying Dave, maybe we’ll catch you on the next one.

73 Mike GW0DSP