Worst ever SOTA video

Its OK Ron, If I hear you I’ll still call back…
Compton
PS: :wink:

Hi Tom, I didn’t watch it as you asked to. Did I miss anything. 73 de Geoff vk3sq

Hi Ron,
WSJT-z - WSJT-x clone by SQ9FVE (who gives full credit back to Joe Taylor’s team for the base code).

73 Ed.

P.S. I wonder what happened to WSJT-y ??

You might have intended that as a joke. However, it is part of something I am currently considering.

Hi Ed,

Should that be a Frankenstein not a Clone?

Ron
VK3AFW

A question mark.

2 Likes

Tom,
Well I wouldn’t take it really seriously. But lying down asleep at the keyboard? An indictable offence I would have thought. Certainly could not claim to be earning points. OK so you haven’t earned points for the last 109 ascents of that hill this year, but…

There are all those stories about what happened to people who went to sleep on the moors. Is the Cloud anything different? Best sleep with a sturdy double bass under the pillow.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

What keyboard? Don’t need one with FT8, and definitely not with automated FT8. I sold my double bass several years ago and focused on electric bass BTW. However, confident in both the flawlessness of the automated FT8, and my safety overnight on The Cloud G/SP-015, I shall be utilising a much more comfortable pillow anyway.

All is revealed on this site:
http://AutomaticPrivateRadioInternetLink1.com/

73, Gerard - VK2IO

1 Like

Hi Gerard,
It appears to be an April Fools joke! (look at the URL of the link at the bottom of the article).

But the concept should indeed be possible - I suppose that’s what makes it such a good April fools joke.

73 Ed.

Wouldn’t be the first time someone took an April Fools joke and implemented it. One memorable (to me, anyway) example was RFC 1149 “A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers”. There’s even at least one song about it…

Another one was sending SMS messages in Morse code from a two dah & dit buttons on a smartphone. Six months later there was an App in the Google Play Store to do exactly that!

Anyone who had a Nokia phone about 10 years ago would have found that in various levels of the messaging, options were there for various messages to be sent in morse code by the native software of the phone. at level 1 the letter M was used, level 2 was the code SMS and at the highest level it was the Nokia slogan “Connecting People”. I always had a vision of some Nokia engineer chuckling at his success in spreading morse code around the Nokia users and anyone near them when a message was received.

Hi Compton,
I assume you did not hear me this morning as you are not in the log

Ron
VK3AFW

No, I did have a listen later in the event but there wasnt much happening on 40 or 20 for me.

Compton

My YouTube analytics show that the average watch time for this video is under 3 minutes. But the video is over 20 minutes long. I knew it was bad, but didn’t realise it was THAT bad…

Anyway, it’s now been embedded in my website, which is about to have a new set of updates published - so something else to avoid :wink:

1 Like

I had to get out of the bothy bag shelter for “some reason or other”, and returned to find I’d worked three more stations

So the software really does do all the work while the operator is (or can be) away from the station? I thought that was just a myth… One more reason (other than the sheer boredom of it) I don’t like FT8.

1 Like

No. There are some versions of the software that can do this but not all versions.

The software does what all other radio related software* does - hopefully what the op wants it to do and configures it to do.

*logging software, CW keyer, digital signal processor, SDR, Wolfwave etc