World Wide AM activity weekend

I have an ex-aircraft TX PA module that can produce 150W when driven from an 817. At that point my 13.8V 30A PSU had run out steam! With enough current and drive 200W is still easy-peasy-lemon-squeazy. But it doesn’t have any bias or heatsinks and I don’t have the inclination to build something and then man-carry it and its batteries up a summit. It would run 200W of SSB effortlessly as well. I cheated and learnt CW as it is lighter than a PA and PSU.

The thought of an AM day is exciting me enough to dig out the 80m antenna I made when I started SOTA. 60m should be viable too for inter-G. I’d need the big dipole, the 10m big antenna, the PA, another LiPo and be looking for QSOs on 80m, 60m, 15m & 10m. And 2m for anyone firing up their SSM Europa-B and FT-101 combination :wink:

Hi Andy,
If you refer back to what I wrote - I didn’t say I’ll be OK. I simply said if I don’t try I’ll never know. I realise it’s a long shot. In any case as this is a global event, I hope I can pick up some EU contacts on AM (originally and before the thread title was changed, I thought it was a VK/ZL action). I could add the 80m part of my SOTABeams linked dipole back on if you want to try 80m.

Was looking to copy the VK5 (Ian?)'s phased 20m verticals idea at some point to get more gain but there’s insufficient time to get that right I think - let me see what parts I have lying around …

73 Ed.

If nobody tries we’ll never know.

It’s a bit like 10m. Many people have a tune, hear nothing and claim it’s dead. Then along comes a contest and there loads of signals on the “dead” band.

To make it work, conditions would have to be good enough to support SSB S2S QSOs EU-VK at the 1.25W level for when you run 20W. But as long as you know that, you can try to improve the antenna to overcome the effective SNR loss.

Now yesterday I was on 30m, not because of QRM from the 20m SSB contest but because I wired the antenna for 30m and sat down out of the wind. Then noticed I’d rigged it for 30m not 20m and couldn’t be bothered to stand and change it. For some reason my compromise 30m antenna worked better than normal and lots stations I’d expect to be 559 where 579 and 599. Better still was that this was the 1st time that summit had been activated on 30m (I didn’t know that) so maybe more people were interested in me. Anyway it was a nice bit of serendipity and maybe if I tried on 20m first I wouldn’t have bothered with 30m. And wouldn’t have had fun.

That’s why I’ll give it a bash, 80/60 to ensure I get 4 contacts, 15/10 just in case.

I agree with you.
I was on the air during the New Year QSO party of JARL and made 30 AM QSOs on 6m with KX-3. The modulation was very popular among them. Since I started my ham career on 6m AM with Panasonic RJX-601, I can distinguish AM modulation.

Actually it’s World Wide AM day. Not just VK.

AM is still alive in JA on 6m (and 7.195MHz). Hope to see you by TEP propagation on 6m.
Jun, JI1TLL

Climbs a mountain and CBA to change a couple of links, I know the exact feeling when I go for a s2s !

Jonathan

I’ve been poorly!

Its OK, I have similar mindset :wink:

How was the back after Sundays outing ?

OT Skip this if you want to talk AM activity…

It was OK. Mich Moor was much more effort than Trahenna, it’s steeper for longer. I am especially sensitive to any feelings or sensations in my back. I had to slow down from pushing on the steep bits as it felt different to what I remember! I did a few strange stretch exercises whilst having a breather. It was fine.

It’s been stiff Thursday/Friday/Saturday and I think the activity helps because it’s OK today. Sitting posture is important now. I doubt it will ever be the same or as good as before, something I will have to live with. But it’s good enough that I’m planning a wee expedition to Morayshire around Easter. There’s simple summits with paths etc. and I’ve never been to that part of the world. There’s also trigs on the summits and my idea to go out Mallaig way seems less sensible… tougher walking and I’m no way fit for 2-3days of walking and climbing and no trigs on the easier summits either.

1 Like

Just did a small experiment on 60M AM mode. A kind soul spotted me on the DX-Cluster. First time contacts on 60M/AM.

Now for a walk with Bertie the greyhound in the forest.

Mike

G3XGW - Keith a keen vintage enthusiast. I don’t often hear 60m AM in use 3.615 MHz is more popular.

Jonathan

Yes Keith is keen ++ and had a good chat. Now I have restored my 160 & 80 antenna after the storms. I may do a couple of more experiments and then work up through the bands for AM and make a few notes in prep’ for the AM event :wink:
Mike

That’s interesting because last night the northern lights were visible in England and northern Germany so I would have expected propagation to be a bit iffy.

Oh, I couldn’t see the aurora, too much glare from street lights!

Brian

I have a neat AM system that removes the carrier and one sideband. Is that okay?

2 Likes

Only if the QSO partner has a system to reinsert the carrier and missing sideband on receive.

Unusual and ideally unique garb, proved via photograhic evidence including the trig point or other evidence of location on summit, could qualify for a special certificate. (The western union telegraphist’s uniform used by the hams who took on a challenge to beat two kids with phones sending SMS on a tv show a few years back, now that would get a certificate).

Dressing gowns and sllippers have been done before - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

The only uniform I wore while operating AM was my high school uniform. Fortunately I have no suitable photos to submit.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

You mean this :wink:

Not really sending that fast :confused: 27 WPM ?

1 Like

Yes that’s the one.

They sent themselves up rather well and beat the texter too. I only regret that a couple of licenced hams of the same age as the texters were not employed for this challenge.

Getting TV coverage for the AM activation would also earn a special certificate…

The original Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - and infinitely the best one - was a series of half-hour radio programmes. That being so I suggest that we only have their word for it!

I have tapes of the original series somewhere - I only wish I could find them!

Brian

Apparenlty when I put the FT 857D into archive mode I have 25W. Let’s see what happens. I’ll look for a suitable outfit and get a sepia photo for proof.

Could have a “best dressed” award too !

Jonathan