Working US Sota Summits

HI all
I have a Gap Challenger and a 1/2 size G5RV so what are the chances of getting any US sota summit
Regards Nigel
Happy New Year every one

In reply to 2E0NHM:

Using a comprise antenna on 20m on the summits has let me work North American chasers easily using just 5W from the FT-817. It matters not how much power the chasers were using as they could hear my QRP 5W signal. So it therefore follows that you should be able to work US activators who are using similar setups (compromise antennas, QRP) especially as you can spend time refining your antenna setup and you can use 10x the power I was using.

Of course I was using Morse for most of the contacts which, of course, made it so much easier.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0NHM:

If you are attempting to work U.S. SOTA’s from home then the problem is not can they hear you, but can you hear them? A modest set up such as yours will certainly be heard in the States but local noise at your end will be a problem when trying to read QRP activators.

You will also be competing with chasers in Europe using high power and beam antennas and the bands are very busy between 1700-2100 when stations from the U.S. are audible in Europe.

I have a similar set up to yours and in the past 12 months I have only contacted about a dozen US SOTA activations, all on CW.

Good Luck
Roy G4SSH

In reply to 2E0NHM:

HI all
I have a Gap Challenger and a 1/2 size G5RV so what are the chances of
getting any US sota summit

Hi Nigel,

Like Andy, I’ve had no problem working Stateside. Once spotted by the Stateside chasers (something they are excellent at doing,) they’ll find you.

Straight after working you from GW/NW-042 on the 15m band this Tuesday, I worked a further 6 Stateside chasers (you probably heard them) using a modest 6m fishing pole antenna and about 10 watts.

HNY

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G4SSH:

In reply to 2E0NHM:

If you are attempting to work U.S. SOTA’s from home then the problem
is not can they hear you, but can you hear them? A modest set up such
as yours will certainly be heard in the States but local noise at your
end will be a problem when trying to read QRP activators.

You will also be competing with chasers in Europe using high power and
beam antennas and the bands are very busy between 1700-2100 when
stations from the U.S. are audible in Europe.

I have a similar set up to yours and in the past 12 months I have only
contacted about a dozen US SOTA activations, all on CW.

Good Luck
Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:
Hi Roy
Your right its that i can not hear them is the problem.
i was going to put up a long wire for 20m but will it make any difference hearing them.

Cheers Nigel
It’s nice doing SOTA again after a 2 year brake
Happy New Year every one

In reply to 2E0NHM:

HI all
I have a Gap Challenger and a 1/2 size G5RV so what are the chances of
getting any US sota summit
Regards Nigel
Happy New Year every one

HNY Nigel. Obvious I know but propagation is the King/Queen of whether or not you can hear and be heard. If you are around at the right time it is suprising what you can do on pieces of wire. Equally I have spent some frustrating times listening to US and other countries who are extremely loud but cannot hear me! So just keep listening and twiddling those knobs :sunglasses: Propagation predictions for Jan 2012 seem good…

In reply to 2E0NHM:

“I was going to put up a long wire for 20m but will it make any difference?”

For H/F in general, the more wire you can use as an antenna the better will be reception, but it may well be that this will bring in local background noise by the same amount. The only way is to try it Nigel.

Roy

In reply to 2E0NHM:
When activating and the conditions are good I usually have no issues working the UK with 5W SSB into a vertical. As others have mentioned, if you can hear us … we should be able to work you.
Good luck !

Andrew K1YMI - GM1YMI

In reply to G4SSH:
I will give a long wire ago also i may make a cobweb antenna to see how that works on 20m

hope work some state side sota soon if not i hope to get the one that’s listed for 4am just under 2 hours from now
cheers all
Nigel 73

In reply to K1YMI:

In reply to 2E0NHM:
When activating and the conditions are good I usually have no issues
working the UK with 5W SSB into a vertical. As others have mentioned,
if you can hear us … we should be able to work you.
Good luck !

Andrew K1YMI - GM1YMI

Hi Andrew i will see if i put up a long wire antenna and see if that help me hear the summits as i am not getting a thing with the GAP you will have to let me know when your out on a summit i will have a lesion for you :slight_smile:
Cheers Nigel Happy New Year

In reply to K1YMI:
And of course our S2S across the pond in May last year - Andrew

20M raised radials, wire vertical, and 25W SSB at my end (interestingly I thought my first S2S across the pond would have been CW!)

HNY es 73 everyone

Jack
GM4COX

In reply to 2E0NHM:

I’ve had the best luck hearing / contacting UK SOTA activations right around sunrise local time. This equates to Noon-ish in the UK. I have a modest home setup of FT 857 and a dipole at about 12 meters. This proved to me that the Greyline effect really exists.

From the US Activator standpoint, I’ve worked Canada and the UK on 5-10 watts thru a home made Buddistik or a dipole. It’s possible even with less than optimal equipment. I would say timing is everything here.

Hope to hear from you!

Eric…

In reply to KB3UYT:

In reply to 2E0NHM:

I’ve had the best luck hearing / contacting UK SOTA activations right
around sunrise local time. This equates to Noon-ish in the UK. I
have a modest home setup of FT 857 and a dipole at about 12 meters.
This proved to me that the Greyline effect really exists.

From the US Activator standpoint, I’ve worked Canada and the UK on
5-10 watts thru a home made Buddistik or a dipole. It’s possible even
with less than optimal equipment. I would say timing is everything
here.

Hope to hear from you!

Eric…

Hi Eric thx for that i hope to work soon in the new year or this year still time :slight_smile:

Happy New Year every one hope next year is a good one
73 88
Nigel 2E0NHM