Wonderful Service from Yaesu

Whilst packing up after my activation of Shining Tor on Tuesday, a gust of wind blew over the rucksack that was perched on Michaels Bench. I watched in horror as the FT-857 came flying out… Hardly daring to look at the rig, my worst fears were revealed, the fascia was separated from the main body of the rig. Ouch! That looks expensive I thought to myself. Anyway, I continued to finish packing and then made my way back to the car, blaspheming like a trooper all the way down.

On arriving home and after thawing out for about an hour, I decided too assess the damage. The main VFO was loose, this turned out to be an easy fix thanks to the help of the Reflector, however, the detachable face was a different matter. On closer inspection, the back plate on the detachable face was damaged where the catch holds it in place.

Anyway, after giving some consideration to sending it off to one of the dealers, I thought I’d give Yaesu a call yesterday morning (Wed). I was put thought to the Parts Dept. where I spoke to someone who was very helpful. I explained my plight and asked if it would necessary to purchase the whole of the face. No, we sell the replacement back plate separately and we have two in stock. How much will that be, I asked? £2.85 + VAT and a bit of P&P he replied and I’ll try and get into today’s post. Sure enough, the part arrive this morning and it took less than five minutes to replace it, including re-attaching a small PCB and ribbon cable.

What service from Yaesu, less than 24 hours turnaround and a small fortune saved by doing the job myself.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to KD9KC:

lol. Thanks for the chuckle Mike - I needed that this morning! (Warning duly noted.)

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to KD9KC:

Very enjoyable post, Mike.

Sadly, my eyesight is too poor to even think about working on anything surface mounted.

Regards
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I’ve always had good and fast service from Yaesu UK.

As for the ‘crumbs’ tale, thanks for brightening the day!

73 Graham G4FUJ