Winter Fun Evenings

I heard him working you Brian, but couldn’t eke out your signal, even with the beam. Which surprised me, but the answer probably lies in my report above. I had gone from 432.220, on which Dave and Jimmy had spotted me, by the time you were working G8OHM, but I was QRV until 9.30pm, sometimes calling on my own QRG, sometimes calling others on their QRG.

I see G8OHM has entered his score in the Open section; not sure why. I also heard someone trying to call me in CW, but they had gone by the time I had connected the key.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:hi Tom I listened for you but 70cms is pretty useless from this qth.My seriel No was 001 with my only contact to G4CPA whose Sr No was also 001.He was going to give cw a go so it could have been him that called you ATB geoff.

In reply to M1EYP:

I heard him working you Brian, but couldn’t eke out your signal, even
with the beam. Which surprised me, but the answer probably lies in my
report above.

I was beaming SW at the time but my beam is useless on 70, anyway!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

It was good that I had my bothy bag to myself, instead of having to
share it with a moaning Jimmy. It was bad that I still couldn’t get
comfortable in it. It was good when I realised that I was so hot in
the bothy bag that I would be more comfortable out of it anyway. It
was bad that I had wasted valuable contest QSO time trying to get
comfortable in it. It was good that despite it being a bitterly cold
night, once inside the bothy bag you soon need to remove your hat and
coat.

Hi Tom,

I was thinking along the same lines on Saturday when I went up Buckden Pike for the Wellington Remembrance service. The weather was truly awful. I attempted to activate the summit on 2 and 70 FM with the handheld inside a bothy bag, but the only reply I got was M1DHA, but we didn’t complete because he was struggling to copy me.

It was really uncomfortable inside the bothy bag, I’m not convinced by them! The wind makes it flap about like mad, and because the material isn’t breathable, the condensation inside makes you wet anyway!

When I walked across to the Memorial Cross, I met too lads who’d bivi’d overnight! Rather them than me I thought. They suggested the same actually! They were making a quite a complex breakfast with all manner of ready meals and liquids on a couple of stoves.

It was really nice to witness the memorial service, but it didn’t last long because it was so cold and wet! I walked back to the summit of Buckden again and again put out calls on 2 and 70 FM, but still didn’t have a QSO. Never mind, I have already claimed the activation points this year anyway.

It was at that point I had an idea! Wouldn’t it be good to have some sort of permanent structure within the AZ of some popular summits?! It could take the form of a simple hut or box. It could be pre-wired with a feeder cable to a antenna/mast support located on the outside of the structure. A solar panel could be attached to the roof for trickle charging SLABs. Wind power could also be used for power! The shelter would be locked to prevent theft etc, but it would use a standard SOTA shelter key, which would be issued to registered SOTA participants upon request.

73 Colin M0CGH

tongue firmly in cheek!! :slight_smile:

In reply to M0CGH:

It was at that point I had an idea! Wouldn’t it be good to have some
sort of permanent structure within the AZ of some popular summits?! It
could take the form of a simple hut or box. It could be pre-wired with
a feeder cable to a antenna/mast support located on the outside of the
structure. A solar panel could be attached to the roof for trickle
charging SLABs. Wind power could also be used for power! The shelter
would be locked to prevent theft etc, but it would use a standard SOTA
shelter key, which would be issued to registered SOTA participants
upon request.

73 Colin M0CGH

tongue firmly in cheek!! :slight_smile:

I hope you are donning your tin hat Colin, I have a feeling that the purists won’t like that idea:-)

There would be no point anyway, the lock would be smashed off and any solar panel, chargers etc would disappear within days.

Such is the mentality of some in this country.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

All too true, Mike! Also you would probably get opposition from the BMC, on the grounds that the existance of a shelter would tempt people out in conditions where they really shouldn’t be on the hill, a viewpoint that crystallised after the Cairngorms tragedy where a school party made an ill-advised sttempt to reach a shelter and many froze to death in a blizzard. Then there are the people who are so opposed to man-made structures on the hill that they actually go out to destroy cairns. Quite possibly the same people that tut at seeing SOTA antennas on the summits! However, I think that on the more bouldery summits it would be very public-spirited to spend a little time picking up a few large rocks and building up the windbreaks, if we all did that we would have better shelters on the summits even if the destroyers did come along occasionally and wreck them!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0CGH:

It could take the form of a simple hut or box.
Land Rover Defender? :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G8ADD:

the Cairngorms tragedy where a school party made an ill-advised sttempt to reach a shelter and many froze to death in a blizzard.

I must say Brian that being part of a group of six, I was very pleased to reach shelter just down from Ben Macdui in August 1968. You don’t need winter conditions for shelters to be of great value.

Then there are the people who are so opposed to man-made structures on the hill that they actually go out to destroy cairns. Quite possibly the same people that tut at seeing SOTA antennas on the summits!

When I activated from Cadair Berwyn in April 2006 I apologised to some people sitting nearby who were having lunch. The comments I got back basically centred around the fact that radio was fine on the summits, as where would we be without its use by MRTs, etc. In all half a dozen people came over to speak to me during my stay and all were very positive about use of radio. Since then I have never had a negative comment made to me during any my activations.

As for building up cairns and shelters, I have often wondered whether it would be worthwhile getting a group together on an ad hoc basis to target those summits where shelters are in disrepair. That way we can ensure that we build in a length of 50mm square hollow section steel to attach our masts to!

73, Gerald

My comments seem to have been taken a little too seriously!

Of course my post was totally in jest. Whilst I welcome shelter from cairns, summit shelters, etc, I feel that the mountains are best left as natural as possible.

Sorry to Tom, for causing the thread to be hijacked!

My intention was to echo Tom’s comments about the difficulty of finding satisfactory shelter in adverse weather conditions.

I too have had lots of positive, inquisitve comments towards radio use from summits. I never operate from the areas likely to be populated by other summiteers ie summit shelter during the day.

73 Colin M0CGH

In 700+ activations, I have only had two adverse reactions. Both from local countryside rangers, and both times I offered to pack away if that’s what they wanted. However, in both cases, once they heard from me that the pack away time involved was a mere ten minutes, and that I would only be around for an estimated 30 minutes or so, they were content for me to continue.

All other interest has been positive, and the CW in particular seems to attract a crowd around me watching the live action! It means I have to shout out the countries as the calls come in, much to the fascination of the audience!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M0CGH:

I never operate from the areas likely to be populated by other summiteers ie summit shelter during the day.

A nice idea Colin, but not always possible when the weather is adverse. Mind you, adverse weather does tend to limit the number of summiteers… except of course on Ingleborough where bad weather seems to be irrelevant - there I was made most welcome by the crowd!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

You said it! When the weather is decent, it doesn’t matter about shelter so much and there tends to be more people about. When the weather is not so good, there tends to be less people about and those that are about don’t stay about for long!

Win - win! I stick to my comment - I don’t use the shelter etc if others are about as per SOTA recommendations. I wouldn’t want to spoil other people’s enjoyment of the mountains if at all possible.

73 Colin

Tuesday 10th February 2009 was the 2nd RSGB 70cm Activity Contest of the year. Clear skies through early evening offered a dry but cold night. I left the house at 7pm and made my way to Cloudside. Ascending up the icy track and iced-up paths, I was questioning my ‘lazy’ choice to walk in trainers without walking poles, but made it to the summit by torchlight OK.

I chose the grassy area just before the trig, to the right of the ascent path, as it offered both slight shelter, and some slight chance that I might be able to get pegs into the ground! This actually proved difficult, and it was challenging to get the pole into the air.

With everything set up, I pulled my bothy bag over me and tucked it in under the foam mat I was sitting on, and went for it on 432.215MHz SSB. The result was 15 contacts in 13 minutes, before I ran out of takers. It was probably my best opening gambit to a contest yet. It was warm and comfortable in the bothy bag, and coupled with the flask of Ovaltine, I was nicely removed from the -2 degrees outside temperature.

I then went searching around the frequencies, picking up regulars like G8OHM, G8GHO and G0LGS before hearing Frank G3RMD asking for a QSY. We settled on 432.205MHz SSB for the QSO, followed by a period of CQ calling without response.

The silence was broken by the familiar voice of Jimmy M3EYP, before a couple more made it 22 QSOs on 70cm SSB. Switching t0 433MHz FM brought three more stations, making it 25 QSOs for the evening. As I emerged from the bothy bag for packing away, I discovered that the dry night had deteriorated to light sleet, from which I had been immune in my shelter.

The descent was somewhat dicy in trainers and without poles, on the now hardened icy surface. I took extra care on the dodgy bits, and made it down to the motor by 10pm. Thence I drove to my new favourite pub, the Harrington Arms at Gawsworth for a pint of Trouble & Strife and free sandwiches that the quiz teams couldn’t finish.

A very pleasing and enjoyable evening. Thanks to all callers, which included no less than 11 SOTA collectors amongst the 25 worked.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

Well done once again. I fancied getting out to do an activation, but didn’t get it together in time. It would mean leaving home before the evening rush hour and bagging a pie and a pint before the contest. Basically I have three options for uniques - Black Down SE-003, The Cloud SP-015 or Gun SP-013. All are around 110 miles and two hours drive away. The advantage of Black Down would be that I could bag the initial run to qualify the summit and then retire gracefully to the car to work the rest of the contest. Besides I have the other two in mind for a circular walk in the summer with the other half in attendance. Lunch on Gun and Tea on The Cloud just about works… followed by a pint afterwards of course.

73, Gerald

Sounds good. I’ve never done a traverse between Gun and Cloud, but it is something I would like to do. Dave M0DFA mentioned doing it as a linear walk using two cars.

Another stunt I have planned for the Spring is to walk to The Cloud - from home. I might also do Shining Tor like this. Both would be around 15 mile round trips.

Let me know when you plan to do 13 and 15 - it would be nice to meet up again - and there is a pub between them that serves the excellent - and appropriate Bosley Cloud ale.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
This could snowball into the 3 peaks SOTA challenge.ATB Geoff G6MZX.

John G4YSS has done that with the 3 Peaks of Yorkshire - NP-010, NP-005 and NP-004. I wonder if you are thinking of me doing it with SP-015, SP-013 and SP-004? It could be an interesting one, but think I would like to be dropped off at the Cat & Fiddle and picked up on Cloudside!

I know there have been occasional noises about doing the 3 Peaks Challenge - NW-001, LD-001 and WS-001 in 24 hours - with a radio for SOTA, but not for me. The driving against the clock element turns me right off that one, and I understand is technically illegal.

I very much enjoyed the meet in the Tempest Arms on Saturday Geoff.

Tom M1EYP

Here we are again. Tuesday Night is SOTA Night as somebody once said, sometime.

It’s the 2m SSB RSGB UK activity contest tonight, and I’ll be QRV from The Cloud G/SP-015.

You’ll have to find me though - no self-spotting in contests of course!

Tom M1EYP

As above, but this time, 70cm SSB. Cold tonight, so hoping for plenty of activity!

“Winter Fun Evening”? Really cold night, making barely one QSO every three minutes for two-and-a-half hours? Fun? Of course!

51 QSOs on 70cm SSB from The Cloud G/SP-015, using the FT-817 (5w) and the SOTAbeams SB270 antenna, set as the 6 element Yagi.

15 locator squares worked: IO64, 74, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95, JO01, 02, 03.

Heard, but not worked: IO75, 86.

Not heard (but usually heard): IO72, 80, 94, JO00 + France.

DXCCs: G, GW, GD, GI, GM.

ODX: Probably one of GI4SNA (IO64), G0GQT (JO01) or GM4GUF/P (IO85).

S2S: Robert GM4GUF/P on Tinto GM/SS-064

My contest entry is somewhat vulnerable to adjudication, as I only have one QSO in 9 of the 15 locator squares! Must take extra care typing this entry in!!

Harrington Arms, Gawsworth, for post-activation drinkies. Fancied something refreshing so went for the Stowford Press cider. Even more refreshing was when the only other customer in there insisted on topping me up, buying me a half! He is a regular, originally from the Solomon Islands, and he and I, with the barmaid, chatted about the Rugby World Cup, and Macclesfield Town’s current superb run of form for half-an-hour or so. A nice end to the evening.