Wheel Chair Summits

This is the idea and work in progress. Please do comment if I am missing something of I need to add anything.

It is work in progress so there will be things wrong. layout will change a little and an index will be added.

Thanks
Steve

See burtonarc.co.uk - burtonarc Resources and Information.

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Hi Steve, I think it’s great what you’re doing here, looks very good to me particularly the fledgling interactive intentions - I think feedback from clients (if I can be permitted use of the current RSL buzzword!) is vital. I’ve spent long enough building living spaces for disabled and wheelchair users to know that all sorts of factors you would not think of considering become important.

Good luck with the project

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Looks like a great job to me Steve and the only thing I would add is as follows… Bearing in mind that there is no sota rule in regards to using an antenna attatched by any means to any vehicle.

• In the rules of SOTA you can not activate from a car (see explanation below) so I am not recommending that you do activate from a car, but that you can activate from right beside your vehicle.

In the sota rules it states that radios must be powered by an independant power source, therefore the car’s main battery or any other 12v power supply derived from it, such as the cigar lighter socket, can not be used during a sota activation. Internal batteries, a sealed lead acid battery, or a second, car or leisure battery could be used as an independant supply.

Dunno if you agree?

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
Mike the absence of a specific ruling does not mean something is acceptable.
As Mike 'BLH ( Post by G4BLH on 4th September 2007 at 13:25) and Tom 'EYP (Post by M1EYP on 4th September 2007 at 13:20) pointed out last time you brought up this topic (anyone else understand Groundhog day?) ‘Apply some common sense’ there should be no connection between you your station and any vehicle.In my eyes if you or any part of your system is touching a vehicle then you are without ( in the context of ‘There is a green hill far away’) the spirit of SOTA.

That’s one present and two ex schoolmasters telling you :slight_smile: and only one is MT expressing his personal opinion.

Roger Stewart Leighton G4OWG

“Hijacking a thread is only acceptable if it adds a bit of humour - not if it attempts to reintroduce a dead topic” RSL 18/11/2007 (just to keep it on topic as introduced by Paul 'MD. Didn’t know I was a buzzword.

In reply to 2E0KPO:
Looks fine to me.
I see you have NP-028. Although some of the path to the summit is paved the bits in between are very boggy.
As a tip you could include something along the lines :-

Park at the gate at the end of the metaled road SE101453. The Masts are on your right. Go through the gate separating the metaled road and the unmetaled road down to Ilkley. Immediately turn right and climb the small bank (very small step and it is a path). You are now well inside the activation zone at 382m.Summit is 402m.

You could of course operate where you parked but that is 380m at the right hand fence (380m contour line just enters fence boundary) and in my eyes a bit close for absolute surety.

Roger G4OWG

Cheers chaps, I have a good foundation for the page now and I will keep working on it over the next few days, you can see it so far at burtonarc.co.uk - burtonarc Resources and Information.

In reply to G4OWG:

(just to keep it on topic as introduced by Paul 'MD. Didn’t know I was
a buzzword.

Hi Roger

Thanks for reminding me about the loose end on that one! And I wasn’t being personal - RSL in my world is a Registered Social Landlord!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4OWG:

“In my eyes if you or any part of your system is touching a vehicle then you are without ( in the context of ‘There is a green hill far away’) the spirit of SOTA”.

For the purposes of those covered by this thread I really think we should exclude wheelchairs as vehicles, even if they are motorised. Or have a seperate table for wheelchair disabled if there is no alternative, but I urge exclusion.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to G4OWG:

For the purposes of those covered by this thread I really think we
should exclude wheelchairs as vehicles, even if they are motorised. Or
have a seperate table for wheelchair disabled if there is no
alternative, but I urge exclusion.

It is one of the rules is that the final ascent must be person powered. Not sure how you could get around this one. A seperate section is messy and hardly inclusive. Perhaps a waiving of that rule for registered disabled. But that wouldnt work either. The problem with disability is that it comes in many shapes and forms, there is no one-size fits all. A blind person using an electric wheelchair would be againsts the spirit but a double amputee would not.

Perhaps its best left as it is, with a “blind-eye” for activations that qualify in the best spirit rather than the absolute letter of the rules.

Ian
G7ADF

Nice job on the site btw Steve.

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Hi Steve,

a good idea!

I join with some summits which are possible on a wheelchair:

Germany:
DM/HE-001, HE-003, HE-327, HE-330.

France:
F/VO-019

Switzerland:
HB/BS-001, HB/ZH-004.

Of course the SOTA-activator without wheelchair have to do those summits
without car. But it´s a good idea to make it possible to our friends who
need the help of a wheelchair.
A lot more summits are possible when they take a cable-car or
a rack-railway.

Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM,HB9CSA

In reply to G7ADF:

You’re right, Ian, it’s a minefield, though of course a hand powered wheelchair must surely count! It would be nice to have something in the rules, no matter how vague, if only to show a disabled activator that his/her score will count.

Brian G8ADD

PS It’s snowing hard here and settling!

In reply to G8ADD:

The fact that an electric wheelchair does not need taxing to drive on the highway works for me - sets it aside from most other “vehicles” - quad bikes etc.

Although I suppose we could see a rash of activations by people on those lethal electric buggies beloved of old ladies!

Just a thought…

73 de Paul G4MD

PS snowing here too another 2 feet and no work for me tomorrow!

All the ones I can think of seem to be in the list already. In fact, one of the major advantages of the Marilyns definition we use in the UK, quite aside from it being a independent and objective list, is that it offers such a wide range and variety of summits, with lots of these hills included - ie ones that may feasibly accessed by those with disability, families with young children etc. Even if you can’t get u the big 'uns, there’s still a lot of choice. (I know from personal experience - my entire first year of SOTA was done with a 5 year old in tow!).

Anyway, coming to the point, here is a link to some of the very early discussions on the old reflector about these issues, from SOTA’s formative days. The ‘old reflector’ is a useful archive actually - many of the recurrent themes can be found by searching through there, and you can find out
what MT (before me) and participants had to say on them in days/years gone by.

73, Tom M1EYP

I can add to the comments about G/WB-005 on Steve’s website. The highest point of the road SSE is inside the activation zone - by one metre! I don’t know what the terrain is like there; ie whether it would be feasible to walk towards te summit some way to ensure being inside the AZ. A better bet would be to park at SO414939, south of the summit, and just 30m lower than it. A wide bridleway leads gently upwards, just 400m to the summit from here, and much less than that to get inside the AZ.

Thanks to all that helped. I now have a list of 38 summits that could be done with ease.
Please do let me know if you know of any other summits that should be added.
Once again thanks
Steve

GD/GD-001 Snaefell might be one that qualifies for your list, as I think there is an electric tramway to the summit. I cannot speak from personal experience though.

GW/NW-064 Mynydd Rhiw has a driveable green track to very close to the summit, which would make it viable for disabled activators.

G/SE-008 St Boniface Down- the trig point is not the summit! It is probably in the AZ though. If you drive past it to the end of the road, there is a car park right on the true summit. You could go for a walk along the escarpment edges and probably activate from lower than where you left the car!

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to GW0DSP:
Mike the absence of a specific ruling does not mean something is
acceptable.
As Mike 'BLH ( Post by G4BLH on 4th September 2007 at 13:25) and Tom
'EYP (Post by M1EYP on 4th September 2007 at 13:20) pointed out last
time you brought up this topic (anyone else understand Groundhog day?)
‘Apply some common sense’ there should be no connection between you
your station and any vehicle.In my eyes if you or any part of your
system is touching a vehicle then you are without ( in the context of
‘There is a green hill far away’) the spirit of SOTA.

That’s one present and two ex schoolmasters telling you :slight_smile: and only
one is MT expressing his personal opinion.

Roger Stewart Leighton G4OWG

"Hijacking a thread is only acceptable if it adds a bit of humour

• not if it attempts to reintroduce a dead topic" RSL 18/11/2007
    (just to keep it on topic as introduced by Paul 'MD. Didn’t know I was
    a buzzword.

Headmaster, I will respond to this with nothing other than good humour
:slight_smile: and I hope you take it that way.

We are not allowed to apply some common sense are we.
With the utmost of respect Sir, we as participants are not influenced by either your or Tom’s opinions, or “as in your eyes” but by a set of rules as thoroughly thought out and set forth by our respected MT.

Prey, point out where it states within those very same rules, that an antenna cannot be attatched to a vehicle? Bearing in mind that we have been reminded constantly of late that there is no need to change those very same rules.

That’s one ex-pupil telling you:-) and he’s not MT

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Prey, point out where it states within those very same rules, that an antenna
cannot be attatched to a vehicle?

As it was pointed out last time Mike when we had this discussion, Section 3.1 of the general rules states:

“The Programme does not accept operation from or in the immediate
vicinity of motor vehicles.”

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy, ah yes, I remember now, I think I replied that it was a very grey area and therefore, could someone please define, “from the immediate vicinity of a vehicle”, because technically this could be got around with the use of 100 metres of coax and I also commented that a simple tweak of the rules would remove any grey areas concerning this issue.

It’s a strange one Andy as is, the final ascent must be made on foot. That’s all well and good, but how far? 2 steps would comply with that rule.

I think at the end of the day, it’s up to each activator to satisfy himself that they have activated within the rules as they interpret them.

Anyway, no doubt someone will now accuse me of raising old issues, hi.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike… “In the spirit of SOTA", nudge nudge wink wink…