What's this ANOTHER "on-the-air" program? BOTA

Duuno, could be, just a pic I found on the net. Looks more like an old Holden to me.

John VK6NU

Holden… that would be GM in Europe (Opel/Vauxhall) and I don’t think GM have a pickup range in Europe. Possibly you can get smaller US pickups for export but I don’t think they have a RHD version. We’ve got Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, Ford Ranger, Isuzu Rodeo (D-MAX), Nissan Navarra (Frontier) and a Chinese thing that costs pennies but looks like safety is optional. (Cheap or safe you pick!).

Well, we need a lot of choice - there are some quite noticeable potholes on the suburban school run these days :smile:

You’ve driven in Edinburgh then? Edinburgh has such collection of rotten roads and potholes so bad that you often find cavers descend into them to explore the underground caverns! :wink:

Thought I would sign up and use my profile to advertise SOTA - if the MT not happy with my image I will of course change it!

see http://www.beachesontheair.com/members

The only thing missing now is Amateur Radio Shacks On The Air.

Joking aside, I like everything that encourages people to get out more, and this one looks very interesting. I for one will be keeping my eyes on it.

Razvan.

1 Like

As long as all of these schemes are seen as opportunities to increase activity on the bands and not competitors to SOTA, I have no problems with them.

Beaches on the air is one on the lighter (less stressful) types of operating portable, another similar “holiday activity” that comes to mind is canal boats on the air (sorry if that’s not the correct title for that scheme).

We are in danger of having so many of these schemes that some confusion can occur.

As April 1st is getting closer, I’m thinking of perhaps starting another scheme JGOTA “Just Get On The Air”!

73 Ed.

1 Like

OH NO - Just saw this on Southgate news - SHEDS on the air -

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AmateurRadioNews/~3/YQ_aXLAG3w8/uk_radio_hams_get_ready_for_saghota.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

It must be getting close to April 1st - Oh it is …

I wonder if outside Dunnies count as sheds …

Ed.
P.S. my first ever radio shack was in the Garden Shed.

LOL

Don’t tell the other half she would relegate me to my 10ft by 10ft tin shed or even worse the wooded shed 4ft by 6ft, both lot a lot of space inside with current contents LOL .

Karl

A friend built himself an astronomical observatory in the garden, but part of the deal was he had to build his wife a comfortable summer-house first…

Speaking of sheds, you need one like this one. Ed will remember this from his time in Australia I’m sure.

My sort of shed.

John VK6NU

Well, while we are talking about the "OTA"s, does anyone know if there are there any for trails and tracks?

In the US, the NPOTA scheme includes some trails and tracks, don’t know of any others Marcus.

You-Bute video John! I think I must have seen it at some time but always worth another butchers!

Ed.

Beaches On The Air has evolved a lot since it first started, and it is in constant evolution. The programme was undoubtedly inspired by SOTA, a programme I introduced in Spain and very much enjoyed while I could, much more than by IOTA or others. Some of the issues raised in this forum thread have been addressed, and others are still pending. The programme has changed a lot since it first started. For instance, we have changed our reference system altogether, and it is no longer reminiscent of SOTA. But most importantly, we have completely decentralised our beach creation system, so that it is now possible to activate unlisted beaches, and create references for them as they get activated. Of course, this is only possible because Beaches On The Air is much smaller than SOTA, with no more than a handful of activations per month. Check us out at https://www.beachesontheair.com/. 73 de Diego EC1CW

2 Likes

Where I see is a possibility is: activating beaches with a history, example Omaha Beach.

1 Like

There’s no doubt every beach on Earth has a history.

Guru

3 Likes

Why is a login account required just to see which beaches are included? That is a sure way to make interested operators skip the site and go somewhere else.

Let people see what the program offers before forcing them to give personal info. Nobody wants to buy a pig in a poke.

wunder

2 Likes

Probably GDPR type issues.

Not sure how a list of beach names and locations is personal data, but I’m not a GDPR expert.

Activation reports with personal data are available without a login.

wunder

1 Like

I wonder if Beaches on the Air has a discussion forum, which might be a better place for this conversation?

2 Likes