What type of chair do you use?

I usually sit on a log or large rock with my jacket as a cushion. If there are no convenient logs then I’ll sit on my back pack. Sometime I’ll just sit on the ground.

1 Like

I had tried a three leg stool. Too long to store in the pack when folded up, not to mention, too fragile. This one has been working quite well. Surprisingly quite sturdy. Found on ebay.

Like my SOTA activation mentor, Ignacio EA2BD, I also use a small rectangle cut out from a cheap camping sleeping mat, the one with an aluminum side. In fact, mine was a gift from Ignacio, so it’s very likely coming from the same mat.

I also have a tripoded light aluminum foldable camping chair like the one shown by Ignacio in his post, but it’s usually in the boot of my car and I have only used it very few times on some drive:on summits.

Most of the times I seat on rocks, some times, when available, I’ve sat on logs, sometimes on the trig point base and sometimes on the ground, grass, sleeves or whatever it’s down on the floor.

My low back has very bad memories from an activation with snow on the ground without anything to properly seat on.

Cheers,

Guru

Here is my chair:

2 Likes

I use one of the 3 legged chairs. Sometimes I sit on it, sometimes I set my radio on it. Sometimes I don’t use it at all.

1 Like

Since you asked, I always stand. Not going to carry a chair. Not going to sit among cactus needles, snow banks, in mud, red ants, or swarming ladybugs that bite… The trick is to design a complete station that can be in one hand while the other hand is free to key the paddle and write the log. When using an MTR, the paddle is integral (one set up is a magnetically attached pico-palm, another is a built in touch paddle with posts protruding from the MTR case). LiPO battery attaches to the MTR case with velcro. When using the KX2, I designed and made of aluminum an attachment that supports a small log sheet, adds about an ounce, paddle is attached (mic built-in) and battery is inside. Solving the issue of holding everything in one hand comfortably and conveniently is cheaper and easier than carrying a folding chair. A photo of this arrangement is here: Shutterfly - Fred KT5X (aka WS0TA)

1 Like

I’ve been using something called a Jerry Chair, in combination with a self-inflating pad. The Jerry Chair itself is made of nylon, and is held up by trekking poles. when I made mine, I built a pocket into the seat area to put the inflatable pad. It’s nice having a bit of a backrest in addition to the pad, and the weight is minimal. Mine looks something like the one in this video. Backpacking Jerry Chair - YouTube

-Bruce
WB8OGK

I use whatever I can find and usually I find the best of the best I use nature. Onyx also needs a chair some times.

Jan/KK6ABZ

6 Likes

If on the summit there aren’t comfortable rocks, I use a shirt as a pillow.
I never brought a chair with me, I have too much stuff, and too little place in the rucksack.
But if you want to get down quickly, this chair should suit your needs…

Some pics from earlier today:

I usually use the Crazy Creek HEX 2.0 Power Lounger, that’s the blue one with the back. For long hikes or for super quick activations I just bring the folding yellow/grey pad which is a ThermaRest Z-Seat.

Today I brought both so I had more insulation from the snow. I thought that I wouldn’t use the Crazy Creek too much when I got it, but it is fairly light and, for me, the back support makes a big difference when I’m on the air for more than an hour.

Some more pics:

This is the two rolled up together and strapped to the side of the pack:

Malcolm VE2DDZ

2 Likes

I want one with a seat belt. I can supply my own poles.

Ron
VK3AFW

This is the only portable one I have… and no I did not choose it… it is already in the boot of the car and I was wondering if I’m brave enough to use it… but after seeing the posts here and realizing this is rather heavy and I may not get far with it, and is too comfortable so I’d take a rest and fall asleep, and it is too attractive in perhaps the wrong ways seeking attention from afar, and may give out the wrong signals, but then again if I get stuck I think satellites will see the luminous pink from far out in space and be able to easily send a rescue should my batteries fail. Then again, the piece of foam sounds attractive, maybe I can find a luminous pink piece of foam? If I DO end up using this, I’ll take a photo!

I buy in market cheap - 8€ - fisher chair, It allows some comfort for CW operation and it gives some prevention from ticks in spring/summer and from snow in winter:

After spring SOTA I pulled some twenty ticks and someone “donate” me Lyme disease…30days DUOMOX solved it. I must buy better repellent.

Only one problem with it - weight cca 2.5 kg. Packed for hike with antenna mast on my bag:

73 Igor OM3CUG Home pages OM3CUG/QRP - Welcome!

1 Like

I thought that one was specially designed for watching gay pride processions!

It sure looks like it! I have wondered what to do with it and it’s been sitting in a store room, I thought, SOTA… but then again… it could indeed be very dangerous to sit in that chair out in the bush! :cold_sweat:

I may use this for an activation!

6 Likes

Much of the underwear worn by the first Mrs G8HWI was pink - never been keen on that colour since!

1 Like

And I thought I was the irreverent one on here

You 'ain’t met me yet - nothing’s sacred!

I am very happy with my Pack Rabbit pack frame… which has a built in chair!
The pack frame makes my 17 lb pack very easy on my back, and the pull out seat is really clever.
Here is where I got it:
http://www.sandpiperca.com/products.php