What is your means of transportation ?

Love the Defender!! I’ve always wanted one, but they are very hard to come by here.

My 1988 Toyota Hilux 4x4 is now worth more that twice what I paid 10 years ago. 230K miles on the original 22RE engine and just won’t quit! I did have to rebuild the 5 speed manual transmission as the PO had trashed it. It’s been on some pretty dodgy forest service roads :smiley:

If I hadn’t gotten my RAV4 AWD in 2017, I wouldn’t have been able to access many of the summits I’ve activated since then. Many of the roads I’ve traveled to get to trails heads and such would not have been kind to a sedan ;-). The recent addition of all terrain tires also has helped. I am envious of those who have motorbikes and snowmobiles. If the SUV can’t drive it, then it’s hiking boots/snowshoes/ microspikes for me.

73 Paula k9ir

3 Likes

The funny thing is that 106 miles took all night, but in the meantime John Candy (I think) managed to answer the question “where are you?” with “We’re in a truck” and various other memorable scenes. I got a photo of myself next to the version with the speaker on the roof, at Warner Bros in LA, 2005. (And another next to the Delorian from Back to the Future). Ah, the memories!

2012 Toyota RAV 4 AWD, seen here before a discontinued attempt at Talbot Peak VK3/VT-010 in July 2014.

3 Likes

blob
Its 185mm groung clearance along with its AWD and selectable Low Speed gearset have helped me to get through amazingly steep and rough mountain tracks.

Guru

2 Likes

2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab heading to Signal Peak (W7A/AW-044) in the majestic Kofa Wilderness Area near Yuma, AZ on 12-Oct-2018.

Paul CT7/K9PM

9 Likes

I didn’t know they sold the Hilux in the USA?

Mine’s a 2008 double cab with only 89K miles on a 2.5TD engine. Here it is with my Diamondback Heist 2 ready for an activation.

1 Like

I enjoyed showing USA guys’s trucks!

I usually use my VW Caddy but sometimes I take my bikes.

5 Likes

I suppose someone will tell me that comparing my vehicle to those already featured is like comparing a pair of high heels to a mountaineering boot! :wink:

Parked up and getting ready for the ascent of Fountains Fell G/NP-017 with Pen-y-Ghent G/NP-010 in the background

4 Likes

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon edition in Canyonlands NP, Utah, USA.

I drove down from the top of the Mesa at top of picture.

8 Likes

Great pic, Paul!
Jeep may well wish to use it for advertising.
Cheers,

Guru

They did sell the Hilux here, but they called it the ‘Pickup’. In North America, the Hilux name was retired in 1976 in favor of Truck, Pickup Truck, or Compact Truck.

Mine is the last year of the 4th gen body. Absolutely indestructible vehicle, and very capable off road.

Working from smallest to largest (it’s all relative… :rofl:).

Trail Limo - I have had three run-ins with law enforcement officers due to this car being far, far away from it’s native paved roads! Note the Appalachian Trail blaze on the tree in front of the car.

Trailhead for W4C/CM-105 (Spring Mountain)

Tow Pig - My most frequent mode of SOTA transport with plenty of pin-striping courtesy of tight, brushy forest roads.

Trailhead for W4G/NG-012 (Wolf Knob)

Trail Rig - my classic Mercedes two door convertible.

Mog on W4T/SU-036 (Beaverdam Bald)

73, pat - KI4SVM

16 Likes

MOG ON Pat! Dang, sweet ride!

1 Like

Okay, so I didn’t drive this car but it is by far the coolest (and most expensive) vehicle that I have ever seen on a SOTA summit!

McLaren 650S on DM/HE-003 (Großer Feldberg)

73, pat - KI4SVM

2 Likes

I hope to use this gravel bike activating some drive ups this year - but in the last year the mainstay has been my Dodge 2500 Diesel 4WD

Departing from Toxaway Mountain W4C/WM-047

Ariel NY4G

At the trailhead of Round Mountain W4T/SU-027

1 Like

Mibo Royal footbike with 20" wheels. It can be folded into a bag and taken on a bus, photo after GI/SM-017 activation. Using the front rack just for camping gear, it feels too bumpy for a radio, so it goes into the backpack.

13 Likes

I don’t participate, except for listening occasionally, but if I did, this is my preferred method, when the sun is shining.

8 Likes

Not SOTA, but this was Bulgaria on LZ/RO-001 - I left the radio on the snowmobile so it was disqualified but when I checked we hadn’t hit the activation zone either.

Must say 2m of snow on a snowmobile was a challenge however!

I love the photo!!!

Mark. M0NOM

4 Likes

That looks a lot like the engine in my VW bus… except you are missing a couple of cylinders there! :laughing:

I bet that thing is a blast to drive. Can’t say I’ve ever seen one of those on the road.