What is the law with regards activating GM/SS-272

What is the law with regards activating GM/SS-272 Arthur’s Seat?

Hello all

My post is what is the law with regards activating GM/SS-272 Arthur’s Seat as many people that ive asked say that because its in the Queens park that we are not allowed to use radio ?

Could someone please shed some light on this for me please as i was planning on doing this and others in the Edinburgh area.

Is it a case of handie in pocket and a fast contact incase the park police catch you (hi hi )
any advice greatly welcomed
also maybe advice from the gm stations who have activated it so far
GM0AXY/P on 23 Oct 2003
GM4YMM/P on 23 Oct 2003
MM1AVV on 30 Oct 2004
MM0FMF/P on 15 Oct 2006

many thanks in advance Gordon MM3XGP

In reply to MM3XGP:
Arthur’s Seat is within the Crown Property of Holyrood Park. From the summit one looks down on The Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen’s official residence in Scotland, as well as the Scottish Parliament and many other Edinburgh landmarks.
The Crown Property is administered by Historic Scotland, and you need to approach them about obtaining formal permission to operate from within the grounds of Holyrood Park. I had a quick look for their telephone number just now, but it is as if they have gone ex-directory. When I find it I will send you a direct email.
Once you have Historic Scotland on your side you will need to inform the Park Rangers; actually now a branch of Lothians and Borders Police, based at The Palace of Holyroodhouse.
I would not attempt to do an activation of Arthur’s Seat during August due to the huge numbers of tourists flocking to it during the Edinburgh International Festival which is now on for the next 3 weeks. Things will quieten down in September, and everyone is a bit more relaxed about it all again.
Hope this helps
73 de Ken - GM0AXY

I that maybe think getting everything in writing is the way to go. If a “jobs worth” hassles you you have something to show them. Don’t forget to mention just who is the patron of the RSGB…HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh KG, KT.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
The contact details for Historic Scotland are on the web at
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk The Contact Section; menu at bottom of the opening page, has all the info required.
I have in the past managed to obtain permission in writing for several of Historic Scotland’s properties including Arthur’s Seat and the Island of Inchcolm in the Firth of Forth.
There is generally no problem getting permission to operate. Just remember to avoid times when the main touristhordes are about, and if you want a permission in writing it will include a paragraph on absolving Historic Scotland from any consequential damages and liabilities resulting from your operating e.g do you have insurance cover in case a tourist trips over your coax cable and starts claiming damages?
Good luck.
Ken - GM0AXY