Well done everyone!

In reply to GW0DSP:

Congrats Mike on having the courage to say the words - RIGHT, LET’S DO IT! Even on the periphery of the action, the evening was a great success for me.

I arrived at Honey Hill IO92LJ about 1800z only to find it “bagged” by M3DOL/P whose antenna was bigger than mine… Plan B went into operation with a QSY a respectable distance to IO92MJ which is not as good a location, but it had to suffice. I was up and running for the end of the “FM” period and could copy Steve INK okay, but couldn’t get a carrier in edgeways! Moving to SSB, I found John BVE on MW-027 for a new summit and heard Mick HJD, but like with Steve I couldn’t get through.

In the contest I worked Pete COP on WB-005 for another new summit. Then Derek ZJQ called me from The Cheviot SB-001 for yet another and then later I picked up Ron EVX on his usual summit. Stewart LGS was going great guns in the contest - pity he wasn’t on CE-001 itself. I managed just 45 from my grade B location. I will have to find somewhere better for the next round - obviously the locals are getting interested in portable work.

Thanks to all, with a special thanks to Derek ZJQ for his stirling effort ascending what is a major summit… just for the evening!

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike, forgot to mention that I heard you also and couldn’t get through. Maybe I need to take my 150w linear next time!

73, Gerald

In reply to G1ZJQ:

A great read Derek, thanks for the report and for supporting the “fun evening” in such a magnificent manner, on an eight pointer.
Thanks also for our s2s.
I hope we can count on your continued support each Tuesday evening?

One very important point though, which I’m sure everyone will be aware of, but I feel have to mention it, these are to be FUN evenings!! so ALWAYS remember the golden rule, SAFETY FIRST EVERY TIME!! We all know how quickly the wx can change on a summit, especially in late evening when temperatures drop dramatically.
I think it is essential that every activator leaves details of where thay are going with at least one person, or even better download and fill in one of Richard G3CWIs route cards and leave it with someone, also, always carry your mobile phone.
You might think it not neccesary or even silly, but DO IT, it could bring help to you should you meet with an accident!!

73 Mike GW0DSP

Good advice Mike, but one of the (many) nice things about the “Fun Evening” concept is that it encourages people to visit a summit that is either easy, or very familiar, or both. Activator points aren’t really top priority - radio activity is. For many of us out last night, we were on summits we knew inside out and mostly where we could be back in our cars within a quarter of an hour or so. Derek’s activation of The Cheviot was an exception timewise, but not in terms of familiarity with the area.

As I said though, good advice, it is sensible for most of us to take additional care in the evenings than we might in the day.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Route cards to download here:

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/Downloads/SOTARouteCard.pdf

Richard

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Some shy bird screamed all of a sudden.<

Ah, seems like you have had a run-in with the Guardian of Scald Hill, but he didn’t reveal himself to you. Obviously you weren’t a large enough threat!

Very well done Derek - great report - hope the aches aren’t too bad.

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

When’s the next one Mike??? Did you get any response to the suggestion of 1st Tuesday + 3rd Thursday or do people think that it should be each week? Comments please.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

When’s the next one Mike??? Did you get any response to the
suggestion of 1st Tuesday + 3rd Thursday or do people think that it
should be each week? Comments please.

73, Gerald

Hi Gerald

The general feeling would appear to be Tuesdays weekly, I’ll post a "Let’s go for it " we can then all alert and go for it at short notice, this is to beat the wx.
Some comments for/against coinciding with backpackers, the majority agree with coinciding, this helps both party’s.
The first one was a huge succes from comments made, most activators/chasers had the best evenings’ sota in a long time and there seems to be strong support to keep it going right through the summer months.

73 Mike

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Hazards strike when we think we are in the clear & drop our guard.

So true. I well recall stumbling and badly spraining my ankle in sight of my car when coming off Scafell Pike - and Tom will recall that I did a similar trick coming off Arenig Fawr a couple of years ago. The combination of being tired and on uneven ground is a hazardous one.

Richard

The combination of being tired and on uneven ground is a hazardous one.

I remember being on a climbing trip a number of years ago when one pair in our group completed their (fairly hard) route and walked back to the base of the crag… just as one of them was about 20 meters from where the rest of us were sitting, he tripped over a boulder and broke his leg at right angles just above the ankle!

It needed a mountain rescue team to get him off the hill and he had not even been climbing when it happened.

Take care on the easy bits… Marc G0AZS

The general feeling would appear to be Tuesdays weekly, I’ll post a
"Let’s go for it " we can then all alert and go for it at
short notice, this is to beat the wx.

Okay - I’m not sure that every week will work, but we can give it a go. I won’t be able to get out on a regular basis - no Brownies (sorry to mention it Richard), but work commitments will intrude. Also a regular outing is likely to be sussed by the XYL. With a less obvious pattern it might be easier to pull the wool over her eyes, Hi!!!

73, Gerald

It isn’t weekly, or 1st/3rd Tuesdays or anything like that as I understand it. It is short notice, good wx, when we feel like it. If the wx is looking promising, then people will start to alert on the Monday, and if it’s still looking OK, people will naturally mention their intentions on here on the Tuesday afternoon. It doesn’t need any more organisation than that.

In my case, I will be on 2m FM and/or 2m SSB every Tuesday 1900-1945 / 8.00pm to 8.45pm local, except when the wx is unsatisfactory. Company on the air from other summits is desirable, but not essential!

In reply to M1EYP:

That’s it in a nutshell Tom, on Tuesdays if we can we will and alert it the way you stated, best keep to Tuesdays at first, then if bad wx for Tuesday, could try for another day when wx improves.
Best keep it as simple as that.

Mike

SLAB has arrived, 706 and SOTAbeam are ready to go… 2m SSB here I come.

Roll on Tuesday/other non rainy day!

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Nice job Marc, now your fun will begin, hi.

Mike

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom,

For those of us on the periphery it is very much worthwhile having a day in week to focus our efforts on. I don’t have a Cloud, Gun or Tor to walk up, so the activity is chasing as far as I am concerned. I might work some summits from home, but most are t’other side of the lump of muck that I live on. Of course having Tuesdays as a key day doesn’t stop you or others going out any other day when the WX is good.

Hopefully be in contact soon.

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

Well done Mike, looks like you cooked up a great evening there, just sorry I missed it - working in MK that day, didn’t get home till 2130L. Will definitely look out for future events, although Tuesdays are not so good - Guides night. You’ve got it all to come, Richard…

Catch you all soon I hope!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

I just can’t imagine you in your guides uniform Paul, hi.

Seriously though, thanks for your comments, it was a huge success, I don’t think many, if any activators earned a single point, we got plenty of chaser points though with s2s contacts, but its not about that, it is revival of the airwaves in the evenings, a lot of fun, and a superb way to raise awareness of the sota programme. A great evening was had by all.

We have to keep it going now.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

That’s nothing, Thursday night is Ballet…

I’m really looking forward to participating as and when I’m able, unfortunately my work patterns are a bit chaotic at the moment so it’s not easy. I also hope to resume my sporadic evening activations as well soon, and perhaps try an early-morning one on the way to work (Is there going to be anyone about at 0500z?!)

Keep up the good work, catch you soon

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

In reply to GW0DSP:

That’s nothing, Thursday night is Ballet…
73 de Paul G4MD

The mind boggles, hi.

73 Mike