W7A s2s 10-point Madness Event Sept 28th

ARIZONA S2S 10-POINT MADNESS, the 2019 version, is fast approaching. The Arizona SOTA ops are going to take to the field on Saturday September 28th and simultaneously put on as many 10 point summits as we can.

Last year we put on 25 different 10-point summits that morning for this event, with 33 operators, and we made over 1100 contacts. Over 580 of the contacts were s2s contacts. As of August 29th we have twenty operators committed to this years event, and the list will surely get longer as the event gets closer.

This year I would like to encourage out of state Activators to also get on 10-point summits and join in the fun. If you don’t have any 10 pointers in your Association then any summit will do. We are equal opportunity s2s operators!

Look for us on HF and VHF from 80 meters thru 1296 MHz. Not everyone will have every band, but most will be on 20/40 meters as a minimum…CW and SSB, with FM also on the VHF/UHF bands.

So if you like chasing 10 point summits and making buckets of s2s contacts, this event is for you!

Thanks to all…hope u can join us in the fun.

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A Association Manager

13 Likes

I’m thrilled to see this invitation go out to everybody. It’s been one of my most enjoyable SOTA events EV-Errrrrrr!!! It should be even better with MORE activators! Join us. You’ll LOVE IT!
Charlie NJ7V

2 Likes

This was so much fun last year. Lin and I are ready to go again this year.

N7LP

2 Likes

Is there a targeted time range? I may try to get W5T or W5O in the fray this year.

1 Like

Brent,

Each station has a different start time since some hikes are long, some are short, and some are drive ups…however…

last year the window was from 1400-2100 UTC. I can go back and look at the data and see where the “peak” operating time was last year. I suspect around 1730 or so UTC.

I will check.

tnx

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

That would be helpful for me just to know where to work backwards from. Thanks Pete.

I’ve never activated with so many other activators. Sounds wild. I guess just reduce call to S2S when one is heard then choose a call as best as possible.

Brent,

Here is the QSO breakdown for the last years s2s Madness event…QSO’s per hour.

1300-1359 0
1400-1459 20
1500-1559 106
1600-1659 266
1700-1759 250
1800-1859 213
1900-1959 110
2000-forever 10

So it peaked from 1600-1800, but it was pretty busy from 1500 thru 1900.

I would suspect about the same QSO/Activity distribution come this September 28th!

tnx

Pete
WA7JTM

2 Likes

TU. Definitely enough time to get a substantial hike in before the heavy qso period. I plan on being on a summit and location will be dependent on whether I can get away from the office Friday. Hopefully S2S from Big Bend National Park TX. Will alert as date approaches.

1 Like

I like the team approach that the AZ herd has adopted to get some excitement stirring on the airwaves! I’ll volunteer to man a 10 pointer up here in NV.

Woody
K1LB

3 Likes

That sounds GREAT Brent!

Big Bend is a pretty rare place to work on any band and any mode!

I hope I get a chance to work u there!

Pete
WA7JTM

That is good news Woody!

This could really get interesting if this catches on nation wide! We might set some sort of record for the most 10 pointers on in one day ever??

I will definitely be looking for u, as will the others here in AZ.

Pete
WA7JTM

Epic! This was amazing last year - I think I doubled my S2S points during this event!

Looking forward to it. We don’t have many 10 pointers here in W7W that one can get to without crampons / ice axe / serious mountaineering skillz. I will have to participate from a lowly 6 pointer =)

4 Likes

Great Josh!

We are all Looking forward to working you from your summit!

It looks like it might be even better/busier than last year.

Pete

W7A 10-Point Madness Update: Sept 9, 2019

For the W7A 10 point s2s Madness event we now have plans for at least 20 AZ 10 pointers on the air, 5 out of state 10 point Summits On The Air, and 3 other stations on peaks 8 points or lower…2 AZ, 1 Washington.

There is still time to join in the fun, and lots of 10 pointers left in Arizona…and around the USA.

If u are an s2s addict this is definitely your event…from any summit, of any value, from any state.

We will be on many HF, VHF, and UHF bands…check SOTAWATCH 3 ALERTS for details.

Pete
WA7JTM

I may have to hit a 10 pointer in Georgia and take a camp chair for this! I can think of worse ways to spend a day than the summit of blood mountain. Have to get another couple of battery packs!

2 Likes

Great Richard!

Looking forward to working you!

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

s2s Madness update Sept 20th 2019

TWENTY TWO different Arizona 10-point summits will be on the air a week from tomorrow (Saturday morning, SEPT 28th) for the s2s 10-Point Madness event.

I will post the list next week here.

You can see all of the summits being activated in SOTAwatch3 now.

tnx

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A s2s 10-Point Madness Coordinator…sort of…

Could be challenging ionosphere conditions with a predicted K index of 6 issued for Saturday in today’s NOAA space weather outlook. Obviously won’t affect those of you using line of sight or ground wave.

UPDATE:

A few changes. Due to snow on Humphreys KR7RK will now do Kendrick and Wing Mountain on Saturday instead.

So now 22 operators on 24 10-point summits Saturday.

Pete
WA7JTM

I’m hoping to join the fun from Georgia - the XYL needs to be dropped off to lead a hike in the Appalachians, so the K9 and I may be able to run up something nearby. Unfortunately my nearby options, either Big Cedar Mountain (W4G/NG-023) or Black Mountain (W4G/NG-022), are both “only” 8 point summits. Are 8-pointers allowed to play? :wink:

73, Scott WB8ICQ